What is in your backyard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the price of a dozen eggs it's not worth the taste of a bad egg ... We let ours free range but only after they laid morning eggs in the coop .. your eggs could be two weeks old before you got them , maybe not
I agree, even if they were perfect, my mind would run away in thoughts and influence the whole eggs-perience for me…

So I was given this bowl of free range eggs from my cousins farm who gave them to my momma to give to me. She said they haven’t been checked yet and to put them in a bowl of water if they raise to the top, they are trying to get out and be thrown away 😂. I read up and the float method is a way to check them but it said if they don’t lay on their side completely, they need to be used. I get eggs from neighbors all the time but I guess they always lay in the nest and not just anywhere on the property until found. Have any of y’all tested eggs? We raised chickens when I was young but our chickens laid their eggs in the nest in the chicken house… I don’t want to be turned off to eggs…View attachment 311209
OLD-timey farm boy here... Back in The Olden Days (late 40's -- early 50's) we had occasional chickums what just liked to bust out of the coop and lay eggs in the meadows nearby. It was us kids' job to always be alert to find any and bring them inna house. Ususally, our renegades would lay them in our hay loft. I think they did this to stay away from foxes.

We did the water thingy thisaway: We put the eggs in a bowl of water. If they floated or lay tilted one end up = Not for eating. We did not have a fridge, so if the grownup picked up any egg to cook it and busted the shell... there was an obvious thing that was just automatically checked:

The clear, thick part of the white had to be prominent around the bulged-up, rounded yolk. If the thick white part... wasn't (thick), and the yolk was flat on top, not rounded = no good <-- Great cat food.

This, BTW, was extremely rare. Us kids were pretty good at finding them. We could always tell renegade eggs from homey eggs: The yolks were a deeper, almost orange color. Chickums ate anything, and us kids just never thought about it. It was just the way things were; I once watched a hen catch and eat a good-sized frog.

We did not have a preference betwixt home made and crazy made eggs. Again, eggs were just eggs. Oh. One last thing: Eggs us kids found were always good for weeks. <-- TINS They were always used up well within two weeks anyway with no refrigeration at the farm. Kept in a bowl that looked just like the one in your pic.

Last edited:
I agree, even if they were perfect, my mind would run away in thoughts and influence the whole eggs-perience for me…
I gotta put my oar in here: We preferred the eggs we found in the hay loft and meadow over the "regular" kind because they just tasted a lot better. <-- This was essentially the spur that had us on volunteer Easter egg hunts all the fargin time.

If you tried "wild" chickum eggs alongside "barracks"-laid eggs, you would join the club. Trust yer Unca.

We always had a basket of eggs on our counter when I was growing up and never checked them but like I said, we knew when we pulled it from the nests. We did mark a few and leave them under the hen for hatching. Still didn’t you wonder how long those eggs were up in the hayloft?

I gotta put my oar in here: We preferred the eggs we found in the hay loft and meadow over the "regular" kind because they just tasted a lot better. <-- This was essentially the spur that had us on volunteer Easter egg hunts all the fargin time.

If you tried "wild" chickum eggs alongside "barracks"-laid eggs, you would join the club. Trust yer Unca.
Our chickens were also free range and they got all kinds of farm stuff. The yolks were super yellow not like city eggs but we did call them in at night both for protection and so they would fill the nests overnight. We let them out again every morning to mill about

old eggs are best used at halloween ... for throwing at night ..

We initially marked our eggs with a black sharpie till we saw that the ink bleed through into the egg .. we were getting just too many eggs everyday at one point.

old eggs are best used at halloween ... for throwing at night ..

We initially marked our eggs with a black sharpie till we saw that the ink bleed through into the egg .. we were getting just too many eggs everyday at one point.
Patwi -- There was a magician/card shark (banned from Vegas 'cuz they knew they could not catch him if he decided to cheat) -- they hired him to catch others. His name escapes me at the moment JOHN SCARNE!! <-- Oh!

What made me remember his name was that his hands were in "The Sting" as Paul Newman's when he was fancy-shuffling on the train.

Anyway, he had a trick where he would hold a fanned-out deck to a person to pick a card. The guy would pick the card, show it to everyone but Scarne, and replace it in the deck.

There was a bowl of hard-boiled eggs on the table. Scarne would ask the guy to pick an egg and peel it.

Written on the surface of the egg inside the unmarked shell was the card suit and number.

Another one I saw, dunno if it was Jack Paar Show or Johnny Carson Show, but he gave the deck to the host to shuffle. Took the deck back and asked Paar/Carson to pick a card. Let's say 3 of diamonds was picked -- shown to the audience but not Scarne.

Scarne shuffled the deck and handed it back to Paar/Carson. Asked him to find the card he'd picked.

It was gone.

Scarne: "Take out your wallet." The host reached into his inner suit pocket (across the card table from Scarne) and opened up his wallet.

Host (triumphantly): "HAH! It's not there!"

Scarne: "Take out your driver's license."

Host nearly faints: The 3 of diamonds is inside his driver's license!

I actually watched this -- and know exactly how it was done: Scarne had clearly sold his soul to the Devil. It was the only way.

So I was given this bowl of free range eggs from my cousins farm who gave them to my momma to give to me. She said they haven’t been checked yet and to put them in a bowl of water if they raise to the top, they are trying to get out and be thrown away 😂. I read up and the float method is a way to check them but it said if they don’t lay on their side completely, they need to be used. I get eggs from neighbors all the time but I guess they always lay in the nest and not just anywhere on the property until found. Have any of y’all tested eggs? We raised chickens when I was young but our chickens laid their eggs in the nest in the chicken house… I don’t want to be turned off to eggs…View attachment 311209
Raised a ton of free range chickens in my life. Never did the water trick. A LED flashlight works great. If they looked a little iffy, I'd crack 'em in a small bowl and look. Never got sick from eating any. The reason the "bad ones" will float is because the egg whites disappear after time. I've eaten eggs that had less than half of the whites left and they still tasted good.

I just did the water test. The first three practically jumped out of the bowl. Now I’m wondering if they are safe for the garbage disposal 😁

they look beautiful....

Latest posts

Back