What is the best digital ballast?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moaky

Reaction score
hXXp://www.bghydro.com/BGH/static/articles/0506_digiballasts.asp
the above site tested about 5 diffrent lights to find out the effeciency. the one thing i noticed is they didn't test other 600's besides the galaxy. it feels like something is being left out. xtrasun has the digital ballast.
I wanted to know if anyone had opinion on what digital ballasts are worth buying. BG hydro choose lumatek to sell and before i found this site i had a gut feeling that they were the brand to get even though they are cheaper than other name brand digital lights. I think all members would like to hear some input for when they feel they are ready to upgrade. maybe you senior members could even restate this so it makes more sense with better info.
thank you for your input.

I don't hve one and I am not saying it is the best but Lumatek is a good one...

And also the most expensive hamster

Ive got 2 x poots and if there good enough for the dutch greenhouses they will do for me man.

lol

t4

Got the Lumitek 1000. Its a nice ballest no trouble so far. Only been runnin it for a couple of weeks.

for a digital.... lumatek, galaxy, or future brite.

If you want the best cheap digital, digital greenhouse brand is pretty good from HTG supply.

I personally run lumateks. a 600 and a 400.

well one of my digital poots is now 2 years old and performs faultlessly and considering it cost brand new including shade and growlux bulb and delivery £120 ya cannot beat that until i bought another last month which was £119.99 free delivery btw lumateks are about £200 for the ballast alone.

t4

why are you going with digital if i may ask ?

moaky
can't go wrong with the top three industy standards lumatec, galaxy, futurebrite. I've smoked alot of weed grown form these three and I know for a fact that they all work very well!!!
Good Luck
Peace
MBT

Thanks to everyone for their input. its much appreciated
the galaxy in the test(first post of thread) that hg hydro did was the least effecient and it had problems firing a new bulb the first time. and althought the lumatek is more expensive i tend to think, in this game you get what you pay for I don't know what these "poots" are. can't find anything about them except on another forum that says they don't have a metal jacket to protcect the cord into the ballast from am radio interfernce which i gather, can make your ballast less effecient.

well my poots dont interfere with any frequencies in my home.

you do get what you pay for but i got 2 x poot complete systems ballasts bulbs and reflectors for the price of one lumatek ballast alone and 2 years later no issues with it.

t4

Time4Plan-B said:
well my poots dont interfere with any frequencies in my home.

you do get what you pay for but i got 2 x poot complete systems ballasts bulbs and reflectors for the price of one lumatek ballast alone and 2 years later no issues with it.

t4
what are these 2 x poot complete systems you are talking about. do you have a link for the product. cause nothing comes up when i try and search for poots

PUFF MONKEY said:
why are you going with digital if i may ask ?
Aren't the magnetic ballast pretty much the same price just run less efficiantly, louder, and run hotter? Also a digital ballast will keep your light brighter longer than a magnetic ballast will as i understand it with a magnetic the bulb starts to loose it's brightness the instant it turns on.

exactly but what ballast would be recomended from personal use
most say lumatek. others say the cheap digi's are just as good.

moaky said:
exactly but what ballast would be recomended from personal use
most say lumatek. others say the cheap digi's are just as good.

I hve the bargain brand digi from HTGsupply and just about 1 year later it is still working great...if I had the cash I wld go with lumatek but the bargain one from HTG has been no slouch...

I run two 600 watt lumateks with no problems. Has a great lumen per watt ratio.

i have a 400w digital greenhouse and havent had problems with it, only been running it for a month and a half though.....

mikeybtoken said:
moaky
can't go wrong with the top three industy standards lumatec, galaxy, futurebrite.

Think you left out NextGen Mikey..;)

The best digital out is the one with the best, no hassle warrenty, period. You can chisel the price online, but what do you do if it breaks? (same story with magnetic, by the way..)

My choice is store bought lumatek with the 5 year. If it breaks, I take it to where I bought it, trade it for a new one and have it reinstalled with in the hour. In my opinion, that's the only way to do it.

i dunno, consider the source. BG Hydro ripped me off and i wouldn't trust a word they said if it came notorized!

fellowsped said:
Aren't the magnetic ballast pretty much the same price just run less efficiantly, louder, and run hotter? Also a digital ballast will keep your light brighter longer than a magnetic ballast will as i understand it with a magnetic the bulb starts to loose it's brightness the instant it turns on.
i recently ran a 240v line to a CAP4 and noticed that both of my 1000w ballasts not only run brighter, but also don't hum anywhere near like they used to but that they also run pretty cool..i was about to make the digi jump myself but the 240v operation changed my mind...mag ballasts have a much better track record than digi's do but if i was gona go digi, i would go for the lumatek brand over the rest.

fellowsped said:

All above is true and this is extra.:D

Yes and digital have no warm up time where by a magnetic ballast warms the light orange yellow blue white light over say 2-4 mins where as a digital instant white light.:eek:

t4

Latest posts

Back