What kind of bug is this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe it or not, I used to teach math...lol

I'm a bit mind dead right now. I realized the simplicity after writing it. Not to mention the wife has me a bit flustered with her angry looks and comments.

Thanks for the help though

Any comment about it being bad for a non-organic garden?

Believe it or not, I used to teach math...lol

I'm a bit mind dead right now. I realized the simplicity after writing it. Not to mention the wife has me a bit flustered with her angry looks and comments.

Thanks for the help though

Any comment about it being bad for a non-organic garden?

I use GH 3 part with a lot of their supplements also. I use a home made hydroponic system that drips a constant steam of water over Hydroton in pails, and returns it to a reservoir. No water stays on my buckets so the roots are not soaking in water. Not organic, almost the same system as yours I believe (you are doing DWC I believe).
I want no bacteria at all. Maybe different with organics or Coco, but not with hydroponics and salt based nutrients. Need to stay clean and sanitized all the time. Bacteria in one bucket or water line will kill my whole grow in an hour.

I feed every 7 days, topping the reservoir off with water through the week. After day 3, I add more H2O2 to the reservoir to help with nutrient intake. It also helps keep those salts off the roots and lets them breath.

See attached images for my nutrient line up and my set up.

Attachments

• 969B1171-86D8-42A1-B7D1-EAF29D1F8E41.jpeg
    969B1171-86D8-42A1-B7D1-EAF29D1F8E41.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 11
  • E4270752-DA5B-4BB0-8F68-5B8C62BF00AA.jpeg
    E4270752-DA5B-4BB0-8F68-5B8C62BF00AA.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 13
  • CF66EBAA-12C5-487E-BC24-0F4870D7EE26.jpeg
    CF66EBAA-12C5-487E-BC24-0F4870D7EE26.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 9
  • CDEF09F5-4EB5-40D0-9777-F34F87A56135.jpeg
    CDEF09F5-4EB5-40D0-9777-F34F87A56135.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Caw
I use GH 3 part with a lot of their supplements also. I use a home made hydroponic system that drips a constant steam of water over Hydroton in pails, and returns it to a reservoir. No water stays on my buckets so the roots are not soaking in water. Not organic, almost the same system as yours I believe (you are doing DWC I believe).
I want no bacteria at all. Maybe different with organics or Coco, but not with hydroponics and salt based nutrients. Need to stay clean and sanitized all the time. Bacteria in one bucket or water line will kill my whole grow in an hour.

I feed every 7 days, topping the reservoir off with water through the week. After day 3, I add more H2O2 to the reservoir to help with nutrient intake. It also helps keep those salts off the roots and lets them breath.

See attached images for my nutrient line up and my set up.

I think I've seen pics of your setup before, or one just like it. I wasn't sure how it worked though. The extra pic with the reservoir answers it all now. Nice!

I was originally thinking something similar - raised buckets with a drain at the bottom. But not necessarily with a constant drop. How does that hit the whole root system? What about using a drip RING?

I may change out my system to something really close to yours this summer. I'm worried about the water temps. With your system theres not much chance for root rot, right? I've had to fight it a couple times already - I wasnt using cold enough water. I'm not thrilled about the possibility of using frozen water bottles all summer in individual buckets either - much easier to just chill the reservoir if necessary.

Thanks for the pics and info.

The water spreads nicely in the Hydroton and makes it drip the entire width of the bucket, getting all the roots wet. Roots go to the water, so as they grow they know where to go find it. Using a ring will just contribute to salt buildup and clogged lines. I like using just outdoor lawn sprinkler system feed lines (found in any Home Depot irrigation aisle) and a strong pump. Allows for a good water flow and keeps the salts moving to prevent clogs. Regular rinsing with Flora Kleen every 2-3 nutrient changes is a must though.

The water pump is timed with the lights, so the roots get a dry out period every night, eliminating any chance of root rot. That and the H2O2 and I never get root or bacteria issues.

The system is easy to put together. Next time I replace the feeder lines I’ll post a tutorial of how to set it all up and connect everything.

Latest posts

Back