What Lighting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marry-Joanna

Reaction score
Right, can i just use a desk lamp? cause that would solve alot of problems for me.
I have been reading for days now. and whilst i think i now know alot about light bulds i still have no idea what lighting to use.

I have a 1 x 1.5 x 3ish box, 3 pc fans for venting and will be growing in soil. I don't as yet have a strain picked out to plant though.

I'm fairly sure that i want to be using fluorescent lighting but as far as what size, how much and how many, and where to put them in the box, i'm just stumped.

Can anyone shed some light on the subject please.

you need 4500 lumens for a 1 x 1.5 space, but unless your growing plants for "MINI ME" you probably should re-think your grow space.

4500 lumens / 1.5 = 3000 lumens

3 1600 lumens 26w CFL bulbs would give you 4800 lumens / 1.5 = 3200 lumens

but a three foot height isnt going to be enough. The rule is that you should have one gallon of dirt for every foot of height you want to grow.you need to account for the pot itself, the plant, and the space the lights will take up, in a 3 ft tall area thats going to make a tight grow.
they do have a strain called lowrider that doesnt get very tall, you might want to do some research on them, they might be just what you need for your small grow area.

Fantastic.
I know its a very tight space, but its all i have to grow in, so yeah Mini Me is the way to go, thanks for your advice.
Will the lighting affect the height or rate of growth or is that something i will have to work on with LST and pruning to make it fit in the space i have.

like i say you might want to do research on the lowrider strain. i think full grow they are only a foot or so tall, and you are correct that LST might be a good idea for you to keep them shorter and more bushy.

and yes lighting can effect the height, if there isnt enough light it will stretch for the light and get very tall and skinny.

happy growing :D

like i say you might want to do research on the lowrider strain. i think full grow they are only a foot or so tall
But...lowrider is expensive and not that potent of a strain(so, i've heard). If you're going to spend time and $ on a personal plant it should be potent or goood tasting strain , right? I'd go with Mandala Hashberry from www.drchronic.com. Very easy to grow, withstands high heat, good flavor and buzz(from strain reports). Lowrider is more for commercial growers, good SOG strain but not too potent.

Done some reading, lowrider seems to be the way, its not that badly priced at around £30 for 10 seeds, flowers to harvest of about 8 weeks and grows from 1 - 2 feet depending on crosses and growing condistions and has a yeild of 1/4 to 1/2 again dependant.

and with the added advantage of low potentcy I think this is a kick *** plant.
I have a feeling this could turn out to be a good move all round.

Is there a way to keep your crops low and fat without having to buy a specially designed strain? Like is there a lighting technique or something that can be implemented?

LST (low stress training)

this is where you basically tie the top of the plants down ao they cant grow up, this also allows the side to become much busher cause its exposed better to light without the top leaves in the way.

i have only heard it talked about and have no first hand experience with it myself, but there are plenty of members here that do.

Latest posts

Back