What might be wrong here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moto-Man

Noli urinae contra ventus
Reaction score
Hello everyone and Happy New Year,

I'm stymied by this regular problem I seem to have - please see the attached pics. The first two are my flowering WWs and the last two are vegging WW.

These have been around for about 4-5 months. I have been pruning, topping them.

I'm using GO and following the schedule here:

hXXp://tinyurl.com/7qeyadt

I have been experiencing this yellowing/dying phenomena for several grows now and I'm left perplexed.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful, thanks a lot.

Cheers,

photo.JPG

photo(1).JPG

photo(2).JPG

photo(3).JPG

Kinda looks normal to me I have plants do like that from time to time it's just according to the strain. You might be a little root bound but I don't think it's a problem all plants loose leave in their grow cycle just some more than others

From the overall droopyness and yellow color it could be overwatered, if your feeding it at the proper PH I say you have a problem at the root level, overwatered, rootbound ect.

At what age do you see that yellowing off start to occur? It looks like a Nitrogen deficiency issue, however, that can be caused by a few things. Given the size of the plants and the size of the containers, I am inclined to think that they are getting root-bound and/or have eaten up all of the nitrogen that is available to them. If you are in soil that is FFOF then they have eaten up all of the N and are starving for more. This could also be a PH issue that has occured from an imballance in nutrients within the soil and has locked out the N. How often do you feed them?

Hushpuppy said:
At what age do you see that yellowing off start to occur? It looks like a Nitrogen deficiency issue, however, that can be caused by a few things. Given the size of the plants and the size of the containers, I am inclined to think that they are getting root-bound and/or have eaten up all of the nitrogen that is available to them. If you are in soil that is FFOF then they have eaten up all of the N and are starving for more. This could also be a PH issue that has occured from an imballance in nutrients within the soil and has locked out the N. How often do you feed them?

Clearly your knowledge eclipses mine.. thanks, HP. These have been growing for like six months, so they are/must be root-bound. These were clones of WW, one is definitely a different phenotype. I am in FFOF, so should I give them a dose of GH FloraMicro which is 5-0-1? That would be my guess, but I swear, I do get confused by N - I wish my later grows did not exhibit these embarrassing characteristics.

Why is that too much N also resembles too little N??

Thanks everyone who chimed in, I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Too much Nitrogen at one time can burn them and too little will starve them. Also the Nitrogen needs to be cut back but not eliminated during flowering as too much Nitrogen can inhibit flowering. The key to nitrogen is that it is a building block for green plant growth but it is acidic(which is why it tends to burn the plants if too much is given). When the plants get started, they aren't able to handle as much but once they get growing vigorously then they want a lot of it, along with other minerals, water, and light energy.

Once it is time for switching over to flowering(in nature) it will have used up much of the surrounding nitrogen and will start using other available nutrients for flowering(phospherous and potassium, and trace minerals) If there is a lot of nitrogen still present then it tends to block the flowering hormones.

On the opposite side of that is where you may be. That is that the plants are in limited amount of soil and nutrients(even though you are feeding with supplimental nutrients). Early on the plants have access to hot soil and will grow like mad, steadily eating up the nutrients in the limited soil and thinking that they will be able to grow big. Then when they have chased their roots all through the soil and eaten up the nutes, they hit a wall and stop growing so fast.

At this point they have become root-bound and when you feed them, you are either not giving enough or the soil isn't able to hold the amount that the plant is needing and it falls short. At this point the plant starts to rob the nutrients that it needs from the lower leaves(that in nature would be shaded and useless anyway) to feed the most important part, the buds.

For you now the problem becomes what to do for the plants that are flowering. And that depends on how far they are into flower. If you only have a few more weeks then its too late to do much. You could add a few light doses of micro for the next few feedings to keep them going. You most likely will not see improvement with that but no worsening either.

The girls in veg are different though. I would suggest getting them into bigger containers of soil so that they have room to reach out for new nutrients and continue to feed them. I don't know the setup of those nutes and being in soil as I am a hydro guy. However the agenda is the same, and that is to give them just enough nitrogen to carry them into flower but not too much so that it can fall off gradually to a point halfway into flower that they are nearly out of nitrogen except for the little bit that you give them. This way they will start pulling nutes from the fan leaves toward the last 2-3weeks of the life cycle.

All that said, you probably can't do much to improve the flowering plants other than to give them some micro shots and make sure the water's PH stays around 7.0 going in. This should carry them to finish. :eek: But you need to find the balance of nutrients in the soil and what you give them and the length of time that you grow them. Having them for several months will require either considerable feeding or sizable soil containers. Good luck with it :)

Thanks HP, I've resigned myself to dealing with it... I gave them some more N, but as others have also mentioned, I am seriously root bound, since these specimens have been sitting in the same pot for seven months now.

They're doing OK, and I know I'll have a decent harvest, but I'll never grow them out this long again w/o a more sophisticated system anyway.

I'm attaching two photos of my two new girls; a "Cheese" and an "Acid"

Even here you can see yellowing of the leaves. I did not use an intermediate sized pot to transplant, I went to the bigger one right away. They look nice and healthy except for yellowing... so could this be N burn or not enough?

Thanks to whoever might still be following this thread :)

Cheers,

photo(1).JPG

photo.JPG

yes after 4 weeks all nitrogen has been leached. so they are many many many months overdo for a xplant and a bloom.

Moto-Man said:
Why is that too much N also resembles too little N??

Not just N, MANY overages mimic deficiencys and this is where experience and common sense come in.

I have exactly the same thing, but one is a OD and the other a deficiency.

The OD is a *new* transplant, about 6 weeks in that is in very hot soil. I inadvertently doubled my alfalfa/soy in the mix. The others are 7 months+ in the same pots. Old host plants and a new host plant to be (if it pulls through). All are in 1gal pots and all the same strain.

Top dressed the starving ones and just watering the other one, but all are looking better. But it was weird how both situations looked so similar.

Wet

Latest posts

Back