What seeds? Rookie, indoor stealth cabinet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActivatedAlmonds52

Reaction score
I'm prepping a 21 x 34 x 77" cabinet with the usual "semi-pro" setup:

- 250W MH (blue) and 250W HPS (yellow) bulbs + spares
- 250W adjustable ballast
- intake and exhaust (6" everything)
- exhaust fan, carbon filter
- air cooled reflector
- small oscillating fan

I *THINK* it should be enough for two average sized (40" during harvest) plants.

My requirements:

- doesn't get too big so I don't have to adjust the plants too much as I have zero experience
- not too smelly - I want the filter to be enough to negate most of the smell
- gives more of a head high and makes you laugh, not lie on the couch unable to move

The only three strains I tried and whose names I know are Jack Herer, French Macaron and Shiva. The first two were mediocre. Shiva was awesome - very stimulating and I laughed my ass off. That one would be great, but supposedly it can get as big as 60-80". Unfortunately I can't confirm those were the strains that were advertised.

Sativa dominant strains are more euphoric than indica dominant strains. If it were me, I would buy seeds for the strain I liked best. If you have LED lighting, you don’t need as much grow area height. If the plants stretch, there are ways of addressing height issues. I grew some Thai plants(very sativa dominant) in a 4 ft tall tent when I was relatively new to growing. Worked out great.

Sativa dominant strains are more euphoric than indica dominant strains. If it were me, I would buy seeds for the strain I liked best. If you have LED lighting, you don’t need as much grow area height. If the plants stretch, there are ways of addressing height issues. I grew some Thai plants(very sativa dominant) in a 4 ft tall tent when I was relatively new to growing. Worked out great.

Does that mean I shouldn't worry so much about height? This is a completely random example, but Supernova can supposedly get as big as 78". Is this something that happens only when you do everything perfectly?

Does that mean I shouldn't worry so much about height? This is a completely random example, but Supernova can supposedly get as big as 78". Is this something that happens only when you do everything perfectly?
Yes, you need to worry about height. Low stress training can help with that. I don’t recall the description Greenhouse gave for height but I am certain it could have been a tall plant as sativas and especially Thai plants are. Most photoperiod plants stretch 2-3 times their veg height so if you take that into account when considering flipping to flower, you can grow plants that are predisposed to be tall in shorter grow spaces. Consider using a SCROG and weaving taller branches into the netting as well as topping to encourage an even canopy at a good height for the lighting you will use. Also read up on supercropping. Cannabis plants grown outside can become absolute trees(12 ft plus) with the right conditions but they can be grown shorter(and usually are) inside.

You can do a search for height on most seeds selling websites.

I'd say, as you're using MH/HPS, you can have 'medium tall plants' with a thick canopee. As others, I'd tell you to absolutely do scrog and around 3.2/3.9feets max for the final height objective, and 2/3 weeks of veg is enough before flowering. Try to crop for having 4/6 main branches and improvise with the net by waving through. Not interesting to make tall plants with penetration from 250W HPS.
For the strain, I'd say Jack Herer has pretty strong/heavy effect and can takes time to be big as it should. I'd say try any skunk for what you are searching, and any on the citrus side of its force. Or Durban Poison. I'd say no Northern Lights. RoyalQueen seeds have some breeds that could fit. Could be an auto with 2/4 main branches.

Last edited:
I'm prepping a 21 x 34 x 77" cabinet with the usual "semi-pro" setup:

- 250W MH (blue) and 250W HPS (yellow) bulbs + spares
- 250W adjustable ballast
- intake and exhaust (6" everything)
- exhaust fan, carbon filter
- air cooled reflector
- small oscillating fan

I *THINK* it should be enough for two average sized (40" during harvest) plants.

My requirements:

- doesn't get too big so I don't have to adjust the plants too much as I have zero experience
- not too smelly - I want the filter to be enough to negate most of the smell
- gives more of a head high and makes you laugh, not lie on the couch unable to move

The only three strains I tried and whose names I know are Jack Herer, French Macaron and Shiva. The first two were mediocre. Shiva was awesome - very stimulating and I laughed my ass off. That one would be great, but supposedly it can get as big as 60-80". Unfortunately I can't confirm those were the strains that were advertised.
What type of medium are you using? You going all organic? You'll be doing a lot of bending, snipping, and a whole bunch of defoliating all through the growth of those girls. 2 plants will fill that space up real quick. Lots of good advise on here that's for sure. Always research, and with multiple sites also. And never be ashamed, or embarrassed to ask questions. This community literally thrives on questions. It's how we get that sticky icky kind. Maybe a journey as well. There's always going to be next season, and a journal just might prevent any bad things from happening in the future. You won't remember everything. Preventative maintenence. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Latest posts

Back