What size container?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniorgrower

Reaction score
What size grow container is recommended for auto plants? I am going to grow some autos outdoors in smartpot grow bags. Thanks.

I think in Smart Pots 3 gallon wld be as big as I wld go. Autos lifespan is not really long so I think bigger then that wld be overkill. I grow some good sized plants in one gallon smart pots. Honestly you cld probably get away with 2 gallon SP's. jmo

1gal wont be enough outdoor i gurantee it with a bigger auto strain.

heres the root ball from 2 plant i harvested last night in 1 gal containers, these were at 60-65 days i beleive.

why not just put them right in the ground?

IMG_20120204_192048.png

same strain 2gal container. had bigger healthier plants.

IMG_20120204_193154.png

I normally build raised bed gardens out of cedar slabs but like the idea of the smartpots because they are supposed to be better for the roots. I tried digging holes in the ground but the ground out in the woods where I live is no easy digging. Too many roots and rocks, its easier to do raised beds or containers.

I use 3.4 gallon pots. Autos seem to love them. Even in that size pots when i empty the pots i can just about see the soil. Roots fill up what ever space i seem to give them. I also agree taller is better. when i have grown in short pots plants didn't like it much.

juniorgrower said:
Hampster do you recommend the smartpots?

Oh helll yeah....I love the Smart Pots. It takes a lil time getting used to how to water them...(slower the better) but they rock.

I saw a 50 plastic pot by 50 smart pot side by side grow on another site. The results were amazing! If you havnt changed over yet you should..
B.P.

Thanks BP I am going to pick up a bunch of the smart pots this weekend. Can't wait to try em out.

Only downside I see using smart pots for autos is that they are not very deep and IME the deeper the pot the better...

honestly may seem like over kill to alot of people but my biggest healthiest auto came out of a 5 gal. root hit the botom and circled slightly.

some autos grow like 6-10 inches, while others can grow 3-4' so really depends on strain.

Hi , can you tell me what is auto plant? I think the plant that breeds itself called as auto plant.

Maximlis said:
Hi , can you tell me what is auto plant? I think the plant that breeds itself called as auto plant.

The links in your signature are live and that is against the rules here... change http: to hxxp: to make it not active...

Maximlis said:

Auto plants are plants that do not need a 12/12 light cycle to flower. They do not have a vegetative stage and live for a set number of days.

JustAnotherAntMarching said:
Only downside I see using smart pots for autos is that they are not very deep and IME the deeper the pot the better...
I fashioned my own out of fabric grocery bags, needle, and thread. They're tall, cylindrical pots that look to me to be 3.5-4 gallons. I made a trip out to the hydro store today to pick up some rapid rooters, and happened to notice the grow bags on the opposite side of the aisle. In comparison, my bags are larger in both diameter and height than the 3 gallon smart pots, but not quite as large as the 5gal.

I agree with getnasty. You can use the 3.5 gallon pot for autoplant.

I have used one two and three Gal bags,pot. Really noticable difference in the three.

Latest posts

Back