What size HPS Light for my small Tent?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2x2x5'3" Tent for Flowering.
What is the ideal sized HPS for this tent?
I currently have a 150w HPS, but should I get a
bigger light, such as a 400w?
Thanx!

Try and get a dual-ballast; MH for veg and HPS to flower, is said to work best;) I`m agreed on the 400w too:)

I do not like MH lights and do not use them at all for vegging any more. I recommend T5s for vegging. They put out about the same lumens per watt as a MH, but run substantially cooler.

For vegging, I'm actually pretty satisfied with using 6500k CFLs. But I want the strongest HPS I can adequately cool
for flowering in my Tent

medicalgrowman said:
For vegging, I'm actually pretty satisfied with using 6500k CFLs. But I want the strongest HPS I can adequately cool
for flowering in my Tent

CFLs work too, they just put out about 33% less lumens per watt and more heat than a T5, so cost about 33% more to operate every month.

I was speaking only in the context of MGMan saying he was set on HID...;)

The Hemp Goddess said:
CFLs work too, they just put out about 33% less lumens per watt and more heat than a T5, so cost about 33% more to operate every month.
Thats only true for the actual lighting.

People always forget about the AC and vortex fan needed to run the lights safely.

For Me: 2000 watts of light need 121watts of vortex fan power and 1200 watts to run my A/C, another 88 watts to run my fan inside the room to blow on the lens (Not a requirement)

I do agree with THG, just pointing it out that with HID, usually more energy is needed for cooling.

I ended-up buying a used 250w HPS for cheap on craigslist.
It is one of those self contained units with the ballast
and reflector all in one. It is really big and heavy!
So-much bigger and heavier than my 150w hps!
I think I am going to separate the ballast using a long piece of heavy-duty extension cord
to make a remote ballast. I think I'll keep the ballast outside of the tent to aid cooling.
Then I will order a CMH bulb, because I've read lots of good things about those bulbs!
I'll keep an eye on the temperature and upgrade the ventilation accordingly if needed.
How's that sound?

Latest posts

Back