Advertise On Marijuana Passion

What stage am I at ?

Dscpln

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have another thread in the photography sub-forum but figured I should post in a different category since I am still a beginner.

These are the photos from almost a week ago - > Is this light burn? What should I do?

Now I took some macro pics with my cell phone - I know they aren't the best quality but my question is, there should be some amount of bud under these sugar leaves, right?
Since the pistils look fairly amber to me, should I chop the top and let the rest catch up ? The strain is white widow feminised and Seedsman say that
harvest is end of October which is about now.

Thanks a lot

Attachments

WeedHopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Do not ever harvest by the color of the pistols. You need to look at the trichs. Also i dont see anything wrong with those plants. Can you show the whole plant?
These are what you need to look at my friend.
Amber trichomes.png

Judging by what i can see in your pics,, they are not ready. I see no amber what so ever.

Dscpln

Reaction score
Do not ever harvest by the color of the pistols. You need to look at the trichs. Also i dont see anything wrong with those plants. Can you show the whole plant?
These are what you need to look at my friend.
Judging by what i can see in your pics,, they are not ready. I see no amber what so ever.
I'll take a pic tomorrow morning when they wake up. But here are some pics from last Saturday.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Chad.Westport

Reaction score
Be sure when you are checking the trichomes, that you are checking the ones on the buds and not the sugarleaf. The trichomes on the leaf will mature faster than the bud. So, they can give you an idea of when the plant may be ready for flushing, but refer to the trichomes on your buds to determine harvest date.

Dscpln

Reaction score
Be sure when you are checking the trichomes, that you are checking the ones on the buds and not the sugarleaf. The trichomes on the leaf will mature faster than the bud. So, they can give you an idea of when the plant may be ready for flushing, but refer to the trichomes on your buds to determine harvest date.
So how to tell if there is a bud under the sugar leaves? As you can tell, I am still a complete noob.

Thanks a lot

Chad.Westport

Reaction score
No worries, we're here to help :) There will be pictures online of what the calyx looks like. It is the small little balls that swell and form your bud. This is where you want to be checking. If a leaf is curled up or blocking your view, you can move it to the side with your hand.

The fan leaves are the oldest, largest leaves and these may start to turn yellow from the bottom as your plant runs out of food or nears the end of life. These often get removed during defoliation and don't serve as a good source for THC / CBD etc.

Sugar leaves are smaller, they are secondary. The are often close to or attached in the same area of the bud, but they grow all over the plant. You will see that these leaves also form trichomes on them. They are good to use for trim joints, tinctures, edibles and making bubble hash.

bigsur51

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have another thread in the photography sub-forum but figured I should post in a different category since I am still a beginner.

These are the photos from almost a week ago - > Is this light burn? What should I do?

Now I took some macro pics with my cell phone - I know they aren't the best quality but my question is, there should be some amount of bud under these sugar leaves, right?
Since the pistils look fairly amber to me, should I chop the top and let the rest catch up ? The strain is white widow feminised and Seedsman say that
harvest is end of October which is about now.

Thanks a lot
that does not look like light burn...if it was , lower the plants or raise the lights

buds under sugar leaves?....well some plants have lots of buds everywhere , from next to the mainstem , all the way out to the ends of the branches..

chop the top and let the rest catch up?........sure.....but check those trichomes on the lower branches , you may be surprised , I’ve had lower buds ripen before upper buds..........

also , when harvesting a new plant that I’ve never smoked before , I take samples of buds , some with clear trichomes , some cloudy , some all amber

then I smoke each sample to see how they affect me , we all have different cannabis endocanabinoid systems and different metabolic rates

have fun , experiment , enjoy the full spectrum of cannabis benefits

Chad.Westport

Reaction score
@Chad.Westport

So can you see any calyx on here? https://www.marijuanapassion.com/attachments/cleaned_1-2-jpg.265779/

I think there is. And should I remove the big solar leaves after they turned yellow, right ?

Thanks a lot
Yes. Do you see the brown hair? Do you see the little ball it connects to? That is the calyx.

As @bigsur51 suggests, do remove the lower leaves when they yellow and begin to die. They are no longer photosynthesizing and yellow is an indicator / attractor to bugs of weak plants.

Dscpln

Reaction score
OK I tested for spider mites (holding a tissue under the leaves and shaking them) and unfortunately I've got quite a few. Any tips to getting rid of them?

Last edited:

Dscpln

Reaction score
So I was testing for mites again and then I saw a weird looking leaf and checked underneath. Found this thing. At first I thought it was a small bit of leaf curled up but nudged it with a piece of paper and it started dancing. Any idea what is it ? Are my plants in trouble??? Thanks a bunch guys!

Chad.Westport

Reaction score
Geez, it reminds me of those wind sock guys on the corner of every little store in the world. lol.

Caterpiller, not a good sign, but they are big and should be easier to find. Look for any holes in your buds, any buds turning brown. It's kind of hard to treat the mites and this or anything now that you are in flower.

Are you doing an outdoor grow?

Dscpln

Reaction score
Geez, it reminds me of those wind sock guys on the corner of every little store in the world. lol.

Caterpiller, not a good sign, but they are big and should be easier to find. Look for any holes in your buds, any buds turning brown. It's kind of hard to treat the mites and this or anything now that you are in flower.

Are you doing an outdoor grow?
@Chad.Westport
Well I am doing a half half grow :D ! I put them out in my balcony (alongside some rosemary - basil mint and fragrant geranium) to get as much sun as possible then transfer them inside under some LED (Obviously not strong enough but I suppose it's better than nothing). Growing weed is not quite legal where I am at and I can't be out in plain view. Anyway, haven't noticed any caterpillars until now, I have only seen one green stink bug (Acrosternum hilare) which I removed with my hands. I didn't notice any more brown spots on any other leaves today.

Last edited:

DoingMyBest

Reaction score
@Chad.Westport
Well I am doing a half half grow :D ! I put them out in my balcony (alongside some rosemary - basil mint and fragrant geranium) to get as much sun as possible then transfer them inside under some LED (Obviously not strong enough but I suppose it's better than nothing). Growing weed is not quite legal where I am at and I can't be out in plain view. Anyway, haven't noticed any caterpillars until now, I have only seen one green stink bug (Acrosternum hilare) which I removed with my hands. I didn't notice any more brown spots on any other leaves today.
Caterpillars like to sit there in one spot, usually in the buds, and just eat and bathroom. That’s all they do, and it’s immensely destructive. They were my biggest issue by far. I hope you get these issues rectified! Your plants look nice. 🌱

Chad.Westport

Reaction score
@Chad.Westport
I hear ya, and there is no better light than the sun. There are two main ways people introduce bugs into their indoor grow. 1- getting clones and not quarantining them for 3 weeks (can often come with bugs, larva or eggs) 2- Moving plants in and out of the house. It's kind of an IPM nightmare.

I encourage people to go with one or the other to prevent this. Some people have a perpetual indoor garden growing year round, others do one or two runs a year. If you do this year round, I'd suggest keeping them inside only. If you only did a few plants each year, if you did infest your indoor tent, you'll have time for a proper clean and to let any remaining eggs hatch to find no food and then die. So, really you can go either way, but do appreciate the dangers of bringing plants in and out of the house.

Latest posts