What the hell happened

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowmo77

Are you lost
Reaction score
Ok, first i've gotta say i don't get out much, by my own choice. recently i went with the wife to Wal-mart. something i noticed while out was that people seem the be mean or rude or just don't notice people anymore. i remember as a child going out with my parents to town and everyone always seemed kinder or atleast more social. while we were out i done as i always do, said hello to people as i passed them or held doors to be polite but people just looked at me as if i were a nut job, even the older folks who should remember what manners are acted the same way. i just don't under stand whats happening to the world anymore. what happen to common courtesy, saying excuse me when you bump someone or hi when you pass? are manners such a bad thing that its considered nuts to say hello to a stranger. it just don't make sense to me.

I know what you mean, I've noticed the same. Everyones in a hurry, never making eye contact...it's a different world we live in....

Well, thats what its like here in middle-class surburbia where I live.

Take time and smell the roses people!

:D

"Common Curtesy not common at all anymore", said my exhusband once.
I get looked at funny when I say excuse me when I pass infront of someone. I hold doors, even if I have gone thru them. I like that you do too slowmo, there are some out there that are still being polite. I also do a lot of smiling and nodding at people, dont actually say hello much. Dont get much back tho, some will smile, or nod.
Life is too short to be rude, one of my fave sayings to my kids when they were growing up.

I can say that I too have seen dramatic changes in attitudes. I am for now a car salesman for a very popular import brand and I have to say that in the last say 8 months to a year the general public has become so much more nasty. It seems that everybody is out for a fight. I know that this is a setting that would bring out natural confrontation but it has become worse. I wonder when I begin my new position in a different field if I will notice any difference. My style of selling is nothing but customer care and assisting in a customers purchase, I dont like confrontation and believe buying should be a happy fun experience and that now seems impossible. On a good note that most of us here already expect, the folks who you can just tell are burners seem so much more friendly. Weed should be mandatory not illegal

Personally, I don't go to Walmart to socialize, I'll go party or dance for that. I'm there to efficiently save $, and I prefer to get out before the bright lights, BO and rushed vibes turn me savage.

I've worked at Walmarts as security (thank God I've moved on), and I've seen fights break out over who gets the last item, and cashiers who weren't quick enough handling change.. it's repulsing.

I remember once I was chatting to one of the workers about his life, while helping him with the carts.. which he seemed to really appreciate, and the feeling was mutual because that job gets boring quick. Then, every day I went back, he would talk to me about the exact same things (I'm not sure if he's retarded, or if it was on purpose, or if it was just acceptable to him to repeat himself a lot), and tried to weasle me into helping him with the carts (which was really HIS job, NOT mine), even if he could clearly do all the work himself. Soon I had to tell him I won't help him with his job anymore, I have more important things to do.. if I hadn't, I would have gone nuts putting up with him. He stopped chatting so much on his own. :rolleyes:

Hi ya, slowmo, it's been awhile! You need to get out more :D, although for what I couldn't say. Fishing?

That's pretty much been my opinion for a long time now. It had much to do with why we moved to the middle of nowhere.

Thankfully i live near to a small village in the country where people stop and chat help each other out.

Different story when i have to go to the city or large town a few miles away.
The people are rude,ignorant and i feel like punching most of them into next week.

Never hurts to be nice to people.

slowmo77 said:
Ok, first i've gotta say i don't get out much, by my own choice. recently i went with the wife to Wal-mart. something i noticed while out was that people seem the be mean or rude or just don't notice people anymore. i remember as a child going out with my parents to town and everyone always seemed kinder or atleast more social. while we were out i done as i always do, said hello to people as i passed them or held doors to be polite but people just looked at me as if i were a nut job, even the older folks who should remember what manners are acted the same way. i just don't under stand whats happening to the world anymore. what happen to common courtesy, saying excuse me when you bump someone or hi when you pass? are manners such a bad thing that its considered nuts to say hello to a stranger. it just don't make sense to me.

Did you have your skivvies on outside yer britches??
Man.. I've done that. :p Makes folks look at me funny too.

Damm sodbusters:hubba:

This is the local celeb he's been on national radio believe it or not.

n1453279728_176821_4290.jpg

I live in a very large city, and I don't really find this to be true most of the time. I talk to people in elevators, on the street, on the train, at the gas station. Some folks laugh and smile back and some don't. Some hold doors for me and some slam them in my face. I never got used to my age and still hold doors for folks younger than me.

It's all a never mind...I just keep being me. Don't want to laugh at my joke I don't take it personally. Maybe it wasn't funny or maybe your just in a bad mood or your mind is elsewhere. I just enjoy making people smile and share but it's their choice.

Except of course for little rugrats. Now THEY need to learn some manners. Yesterday the neighbor kid said ****. I told him he can use such words around me if he can first give me Webster's dictionary definition of the word. He'll either clean up his language or learn to read.

Well he does a pretty good rendition of baa baa black sheep....

People kept ringing up the station about this sheep in a high viz vest, slow day at the news desk im guessing.

Welcome to rural ireland.

thats funny man. i got few them green vests from old job layin round. maybe for kiks one day i'll go out wit a buddy an tackle a sheep an put hi/her in it lol.
at lesst i'll have a use for them now... lol
but slowmo.. i've noticed the same exact thing botu the world lately.
where im from no matter who you are people wave at you when they drive by you even wether on foot or i a vehicle and not no more.
same wit the "excuse me" or holoors etc.... the worlds gone sour imo.

To push NCH's theory a bit: what's wrong with people now is they've been rendered sociopaths by the constant media assault. Nothing is real to most folks nowdays because they hide in their houses and watch TV, video junk, computerland, gadgets, widgets, dinguses and other electronic wonders.

I worry because--sorry Tom Cruise and the world of Scientology--the shrinks now say that sociopathic behavior and psychopathic behavior are no different other than in the degree intensity. We've got the ability to sit at home and kill deer remotely. How long until we get to kill real people remotely with virtual intensity?

Here's a hint: unless you're attracted to obese women in stretch pants and tube tops, do not, repeat, DO NOT, go to Walmart. Most everyone there is pretty sociopathetic.

Poeple have no respect for other people now aday. If you do something nice for them(open the door, help pick-up something they drop,etc), they think you want something from them.
round here you go to town(<500 pop.) everybody just about knows everybody and is "Hi, How you getting along?" go to the city(>50,000) and make it 1 hour without getting the "finger" its a wonder. The greater the population, the more people are afraid to be nice. And the kids today need to be made behave, you can punish a child without beating and smacking them around.

Latest posts

Back