What to do about bottom branches ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOysterhead

Mr Oysterhead
Reaction score
the bottom branches dont get to much light , should cut them off to produce more attention to the top ones or leave them on there , any suggestions let me know :lama::rant:

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

lst it or do a lil pruning, u could check ur light postion, looking good though keep up the good work

All pruning should have been done in veg but lst could work.

reposition your lighting if possible , try something reflective on bottom , to give them more light , as KT and bom , said , lst may work , hope this helps..

so it would hurt it bad if i prune it now what is LST
It may not hurt it at all but just to be safe. LST is low stress training. Basically, tying your plant down.

I trim the tips of my leaves with a sharp scissor. make sure you cut the leaves at an angle. They just die off later anyway. your going to smoke buds not leaves. Just don't go too crazy with it.

id put some reflective light material on that soil just watch out for bacteria or fungi growing if it does show up use some dish soap water on it but yea and how long have you been vegging my friend seems u shoulda vegged them longer if u flower too early your plant cant produce the flowers like it naturally does so quickly

I just whack the bottom stuff off. It is more trouble than its worth. All it does is invite pests. Not produce you crap. And take precious energy away from the top flowers. I cut all mine. Look at some of my pics and decide if thats what you like too.

Stunzeed..

Nah, they arent doing anything bad for the plant. They're doing good for the plant no matter what you say lol. Leave 'em on or take 'em off. LST would defiantely work if you ask me. It provides really good light openings for the bottom colas.all the leaves work like solar panels, the more the better! Take care bro and good luck with it all.

~Burn One~
Dewayne

If leaves work like solar panels why LST?

LST would bring the plant at an angel allowing more of the bigger larger older leaves to **** up light as well as the newer ones. it's basically allowing light through the canapy to the bottom branches.

~Burn One~
Dewayne

Right. The leaves need to be out of the way.

LST and/or topping effectively transfers "where" the growth hormones and/or auxins are concentrated. THAT is the factor that promotes more lower growth. NOT removing leaves so the bare stem or pistills get light. Photosythesis..

exactly. it's pretty much like exposing your legs in the sun so that they can get tan. You just allow the light to get to the bottom leaves to stimulate growth in the lower area as well as the top! :)

~Burn One~
Dewayne

i recently pruned the hell out of all 16 of my plants...any elbow joint leaf...or stem that was rteally dark or purple and overly large....whacked em all off.....
the next day my plants said thank you by giving me two more females and exploding with new growth...i would deffinantly prune. your plant will not only grow better, it looks beautiful and great job by the way, allready said by hick, you want to re direct the water flow and nuetrient flow to the new leaves and branches, while leaving some large ones to take up some space but not much. i will post picture of before and afters when it is around 9 or 930am i have to wait for my plants to wake up:rolleyes:
S.A.B.
smokeabowl
sickassbuds
shak3yAssbon3s
here is wat they looked like before the prune...the were small christmas trees, and that gives me a whole new idea for a tree this year as well.....im stoned sorry i am ranting

ok
the picture.

marley and smoking 055_edited.jpg

marley and smoking 070.jpg

Shakey B0n3S said:
allready said by hick, you want to re direct the water flow and nuetrient flow to the new leaves and branches, while leaving some large ones to take up some space but not much.

I dont think that is what Hick is saying.
Whatever is the topmost part of your plant gets the most growth hormone, so when you top it or LST it a new part of the plant is now the top part.
Its not a matter of redirecting the water flow or nute flow to the new leaves/branches.

It is never a good idea to remove any fan leaves as long as they are green, but I to have removed lower branches to contain my wild grows.

It has to do with auxins and hormones...more than light..
when you change the location of the top of the plant, virtually makeing another part of the plant the topmost part, THAT is where the auxins and growth is "re"directed. To the topmost portion of the plant, wether it is a bottom branch on the meristem or further up the meristem.
Pinching/supercropping/topping all redirect the flow to lower branches, simply because the flow has been either restricted by pinching, or from the top most portion being removed totally.
Removing healthy shade leaves is "never" a good idea..IMHO. I'll post the link again...PHOTOSYNTHESIS..

Latest posts

Back