What Vegetable Most Resembles Cannabis?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefleaf

Reaction score
My State is not online yet with legal cannabis either medical or adult use.

I would however like to perfect my growing skills on some vegetable. What would be the best vegetable to grow to perfect my growing methods that I can move to cannabis growing if/when it becomes legal?

I would like to grow a single one in mass. So looking for the absolute best one to mimic cannabis and can swap out cannabis grow setup for it.

Appreciate your opinion, hope others can chime in as well with theirs.

I think anything you grow will help like Multi said. If your going to grow cannabis in a pot then plant a veggi in a pot and you will learn about the wet and dry cycles. If you grow tomatoes you can learn about topping and taking off suckers and fertilizers.

Grow some flowers, some need sun, at least 6 hours,(roses) some will fry in the sun, coleus. Look at the soil, play in the mud. Look at drainage, how long does it take water to drain from a freshly dug hole. You want well drained soil. If you really want to know take a sample of your soil and get it tested. Learn about acid and alkaline. Did you know that plants next to cement will become too alkaline? Stuff like that. Love the earth and it will please you. Gawd, i sound like the old hippy i am.

I'm with multi--there is no veggie like cannabis. Like mentioned, anything you learn about growing in general will help. However, I would suggest that you start reading and learning everything about what cannabis needs and wants that you can--soil mixtures, nutrients, pH, PPMs, watering frequency, humidity, temperatures, etc, etc. Cannabis can be quite picky and is not really like anything else in its demands (and they are demands!)

I totally agree with THG. I would also highly suggest that you read through the sick plants section and the journals so that you can see what problems and solutions people run through in different situations. You will find that every personal situation is somewhat unique and there are quite a few variables to content with, but Cannabis is a very resilient and determined plant. Learn as much as you can before hand and it will help reduce the learning curve of growing MJ. Plus we will help as much as we can :)

I think I phrased my question wrong.

Let's say you wanted to setup a grow operation, average size, 5000 -10,000 sq ft. Until you could grow cannabis you wanted to grow a single vegetable. You wanted to have it be nearly turn key to cannabis once legal. What would you grow?

Cannabis.

there is no substitute for expierence.

id love to see a warehouse's finished product after chop and no exp on cure...lol.

Hi chiefleaf

I have asked this question before as I am a vegetable gardener and wanted to know how my skills are transferable to growing medicinal marijuana. The answer that I received was tomatoes. Although they are not the same, they have similar wants and needs. I have even read in a forum that someone often practices with tomatoes.

I use PRO-MIX HP for my indoor grow and there is a tomato on the front of the package.

Hope this helps!

Hi chiefleaf

I have asked this question before as I am a vegetable gardener and wanted to know how my skills are transferable to growing medicinal marijuana. The answer that I received was tomatoes. Although they are not the same, they have similar wants and needs. I have even read in a forum that someone often practices with tomatoes.

I use PRO-MIX HP for my indoor grow and there is a tomato on the front of the package.

Hope this helps!

IME, that is not true at all. I have been growing cannabis for over 30 years and, IMO, I don't think that growing cannabis is anything at all like growing tomatoes--their wants and needs are quite different. Tomatoes are not picky at all, they do well in a variety of pH conditions and can do well in sub-standard soil. The nutrient needs do not change throughout the life of the plant. I could go on and on--they are different in so many ways. Cannabis on the other hand can be quite picky, demanding that pH levels and ppms be kept within specific parameters or the plant will not grow and thrive. You need to start with a good soil mixture that has good drainage capabilities. You should use nutrients formulated for cannabis and for the specific. ETC, etc, etc. I wish that I could get my cannabis to grow as easily and as well as I do my tomatoes and other veggies.

IME, that is not true at all. I have been growing cannabis for over 30 years and, IMO, I don't think that growing cannabis is anything at all like growing tomatoes--their wants and needs are quite different. Tomatoes are not picky at all, they do well in a variety of pH conditions and can do well in sub-standard soil. The nutrient needs do not change throughout the life of the plant. I could go on and on--they are different in so many ways. Cannabis on the other hand can be quite picky, demanding that pH levels and ppms be kept within specific parameters or the plant will not grow and thrive. You need to start with a good soil mixture that has good drainage capabilities. You should use nutrients formulated for cannabis and for the specific. ETC, etc, etc. I wish that I could get my cannabis to grow as easily and as well as I do my tomatoes and other veggies.

Good point The Hemp Goddess. Tomatoes and cannabis are different as cannabis is very finicky and tomatoes are easy to grow. As I previously stated they are not the same but tomatoes are the closest that I know of.

personally, i'd say peppers (bell)..
just because i never grow them well, so assume they may be troublesome.
plus many varieties to try to 'dial in'

or maybe broccoli or cauliflower.

i'm not big on multi's thought of radish.. they grow like weeds. so easy, and would fool you into thinking you're the master gardener and everything is perfect.

i recommend something with some difficulty. tomato's are rather mindless to grow too.

just thinking; is hemp legal where you're at?

I think I phrased my question wrong.

I would say, from the plants I've grown so far, mint would be the closest to marijuana.

It makes sense, actually, since mint smells a lot like marijuana, or vice versa.

Mint is very resilient, like marijuana, its leaves are similar, its growing patterns, etc.

But I do agree that if you've never grown before, you shouldn't start out with a huge operation.

No matter how similar mint is, your chances of screwing it up are pretty high.

Start out with a few plants and you'll soon realize that marijuana is a very unique plant.

I have had a much harder time trying to kill and get rid of mint than i have trying to grow it.

because it is overbearing and invasive, it grows out of control and I grew tired of it.

Mint is really not like cannabis at all. Mint in many places is considered an invasive weed and great lengths are taken to control its growth. It will overtake most other vegetation. Like dman said, it can be very hard to get rid of. Boy, now I'm really kind of bummed that cannabis doesn't grow like mint.

After many many years of growing cannabis, I can really say that there is no veggie that requires what cannabis does. It could probably be more compared to a hothouse orchid or prize roses. They needed to be tended to daily. They have a special diet and quite specific environmental needs. In that they are the same. However, any knowledge growing vegetables are going to help when growing cannabis.

Tomatoes. they grow the same, flower the same, need the same foods at the same times. Most hydro products are tested on tomatoes.

Damn guys...cmon.

Stop, you're both right because Marijuana is two (click) two (click) two plants in one.

If you're talking about the North American hemp that grows wild in some places in NA, you can plant that stuff in clay mud and never water it or fert it and it grows like crazy. We used to find big patches of this stuff growing along the Blues River in (I think it was Nebraska). This is probably the stuff they used in days of old to make rope and cloth. We tried smoking it but it didn't really get you high. Nice strong healthy stalks. Giant leaves. Tiny or no buds at all.

So, for the peeps who say pot grows like a weed, I agree.

On the other hand, the hybrid strains that most pot heads are growing is the total opposite. I think HG said it perfect when she said it's more like a rare orchid or a prize rose.... with VERY specific needs.

The strain I have grown for 4 decades is somewhere in between. I have been growing the stuff in MG topsoil and perlite/vermiculite and POUNDED it with MG nutes. Never PH'd my water. I am PHing my water now and I have been using an 8.1 PH water for 25 years. Grew in 2 gal buckets with about 1 gal of dirt in each. Nothing but a rootball by harvest.

In a 4x4 room with a 400 watt HPS bulb that I used for 8 years. No intake vents or fans. A simple bathroom vent fan on the ceiling going into the rafters. One small oscillating fan in the room. I almost always got about 16 ounces each harvest. The quality was always top notch (which is why I kept growing this same strain)

So, I think everybody in the thread is right.

I finally bought some hybrid seeds. I upgraded my grow room to the tune of over $1000 with all new intake and exhaust a 1000w air cooled light and all the trimmings. I will say one thing..... this Critical Kush better be 10 times better quality than my old strain. For all this effort and cost.

LOL--Effen--I can say that I grow wonderful tomatoes with very little effort. Supersoil at the beginning of the season and that is it. They simply flourish. If I treated my cannabis plants like I treat my tomatoes, I would get nothing. Maybe I should have said that I, personally, have found growing cannabis to be like nothing else I have ever grown.

Latest posts

Back