what would make the nodes space so ...

Ravishing_68

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2006
Messages
247
Reaction score
14
far apart now? They started out so compactly. Twice I've come home to find them up against the glass of the light shield, not burned, just seeming to want to go UP. I topped the two tallest in hopes of letting the others catch up. Is this a nutrient mess up or is this normal? If they keep up they way they are they are growing just over an inch each day.

day 16a.jpg


Day 21b.jpg


day 28a.jpg


day 28d.jpg
 
S

Stoney Bud

Guest
Ravishing_68 said:
far apart now? They started out so compactly. Twice I've come home to find them up against the glass of the light shield, not burned, just seeming to want to go UP. I topped the two tallest in hopes of letting the others catch up. Is this a nutrient mess up or is this normal? If they keep up they way they are they are growing just over an inch each day.
Long node spacing is generally the result of inadequate lighting strength.

3,000 lumens per/sq ft is the minimum.

6,000 lumens per/sq ft is the most you'd need.

What do you have?
 
S

Stoney Bud

Guest
Ravishing_68 said:
I am using 400 watt MH bulb. On 20/4 off.
How many lumens per/sq ft do you have? How close to the plants is the light?

You many just have a strain that grows nice and fast. Topping and LST will resolve the height problem and also make the plant bush out more.

An inch a day is great growth. I average about that with all my crops. That's one of the reasons to have enough height for growing space.
 

Ravishing_68

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2006
Messages
247
Reaction score
14
Dimensions: 72" tall x 31" wide x 23" deep
20 cu. ft. capacity
400 watt MH Conversion bulb (4,000K/36,000 Lumens)
This information I got from the website of the caddy.

The light is approximately 2-4" from the highest stalk.
Strain is Northern Light x Big Bud
Temp 75-78, humidity 38-42% pH 5.9 ppm 650, using Dyna-Grow plants are 15-18" tall with 2-3" node spacing
 
S

Stoney Bud

Guest
Ravishing_68 said:
Dimensions: 72" tall x 31" wide x 23" deep
Ravishing_68 said:
20 cu. ft. capacity
400 watt MH Conversion bulb (4,000K/36,000 Lumens)
This information I got from the website of the caddy.

The light is approximately 2-4" from the highest stalk.
Strain is Northern Light x Big Bud
Temp 75-78, humidity 38-42% pH 5.9 ppm 650, using Dyna-Grow plants are 15-18" tall with 2-3" node spacing

A 400 watt light should be no closer than 18 inches from the plant top. Your plants will burn with it as close as you have it unless it's a type that has air flowing thru the lens. Even then, 2 to 4 inches is way too close.

To arrive at lumens per/sq ft., you have to figure out what the square feet of growing area is. That's the width times the height in feet.

You have 36,000 lumens. That is perfect light for as much as 12 square feet of area. That would be like 2 x 6 feet or 3 x 4 feet.

Your area looks to be within that size or smaller.

You may just have to top the plants earlier next time to prevent such tall growth and enlongated nodes. LST will resolve it now.

Do you know how to use LST?
 

Ravishing_68

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2006
Messages
247
Reaction score
14
LST - I believe that is where you gently bend the branches to let new growth get better lighting. I was bending the large fan leaves when they were shorter, now they are so tall and spaced apart it is hard to tell which I should bend. It looks like I'm growing celery! :( I think part of the problem is I have 7 plants in an area that should only have 4 plants at most.

I have an inline air-cooled reflector and I can put my hand under it without heat problems (only because it is winter time, come summer it will be an issue again).
 
S

Stoney Bud

Guest
Ravishing_68 said:
LST - I believe that is where you gently bend the branches to let new growth get better lighting. I was bending the large fan leaves when they were shorter, now they are so tall and spaced apart it is hard to tell which I should bend. It looks like I'm growing celery! :( I think part of the problem is I have 7 plants in an area that should only have 4 plants at most.

I have an inline air-cooled reflector and I can put my hand under it without heat problems (only because it is winter time, come summer it will be an issue again).
Ohhhhhhh, nice, I wish I had an air cooled light! You're lucky!

LST is when you bend the *stem* of the tip top of the plant over gently. It has nothing to do with the fan leaves.

If you have room to do that, it will make the side growth grow while keeping the height down. Then just keep bending the new ones over too.

How tall are you going to let them go before flowering?

The plants will at least double in height during flowering. You can flower any time after the plant matures, (alternating nodes).
 

Ravishing_68

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2006
Messages
247
Reaction score
14
LST is when you bend the *stem* of the tip top of the plant over gently. It has nothing to do with the fan leaves.

If you have room to do that, it will make the side growth grow while keeping the height down. Then just keep bending the new ones over too.

I have one plant that is doing this on it's own...what a smart plant!

How tall are you going to let them go before flowering?

The plants will at least double in height during flowering. You can flower any time after the plant matures, (alternating nodes).[/quote]

I hope to get to change them over to flowering this weekend. Is this the time I choose a mother? or do you think it best to take some clones from each and use a clone of the one you liked as mother?
 
Top