whats the secret?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazycraker

Reaction score
whats the secret to growing nice big fat compressed buds,i have 3 plants going 1 is further along then the others, its budding nice but my plant is stretched and the buds seem fluffy or airy, there sitting under 2 400 watt hps in mg soil been on 12/12 about 4 weeks now any help greatly appreciated

krazycraker said:
whats the secret to growing nice big fat compressed buds,i have 3 plants going 1 is further along then the others, its budding nice but my plant is stretched and the buds seem fluffy or airy, there sitting under 2 400 watt hps in mg soil been on 12/12 about 4 weeks now any help greatly appreciated

It could be strain related, some just get bigger and fatter than others.
Also any week link in the chain of Lights,nutes, air will cause less than optimal results.

Want to see some big buds check out my gallary.

Strain could definitely be it. If anything is off environmental wise, the buds will not produce optimally. Is your temp high?

You are only at 4 weeks. The buds should be light and airy, but will start filling out and becoming dense over the next month. :hubba:

With 2 400W HPS lights, they should not be stretched, unless you are talking about the standard stretching that plants go through at the beginning of flowering. How far away are the lights?

A couple of pictures would help.:)

lights arent to far away maybe 12" to 16" away not over top of plants more above and off to side, the one plant i am talking about is much buigger and stretched like i said but the other 2 are short and bushy i tried to put a pic on here but having issues. i'll wait to see if they get bigger and tighter. also anyone ever heard of a plant with 9 leaves my other 2 plants have 9 leaves on the big fan leaves like i said tring to do pics but having issues any idea what kind of strain?

Make sure that your room is absolutely, totally, 100% dark. Even a very small light leak can cause the plants to think that they need to keep growing. This can cause airy buds that never seem to bulk up.

However, as mentioned already, some strains are just more willowy and produce airy less dense buds. Do you know what you are growing or were they bag seeds?

I've heard that cutting the fan leaves off early causes the buds to turn almost rock hard and small. I've actually felt weed done this way, and its incredibly hard. I would do research before you start cutting off all the fan leaves and ask the more experienced growers here, but just thought I'd put this out.

My opinion on fan leaves is they are there for a reason. The reason is very simple, synthesize energy via photosynthesis. Let those big old sun suckers do their thing IMO.

I am in complete agreement with DLtoker. I do not cut fan leaves. And I end up with plants with large rock hard buds--depending on the strain.

i have no idea what strain it is, just some bag seed of some stuff i had a while back that i thought was good, the room is total darkness no question about that, i did cut the fan leaves off of one of my plants just to experiment still new to growing this is my first grow with hps lights used fluros for first 2 grows but not very satisfying but i knew it wouldnt be. anyone ever heard of a plant with 9 leaves? 2 of my plants have 9 leaves any clue? thanks for the help

krazycraker,usally air buds are caused from high temps,as far as streching,ive never had my plants even double in hieght during flower.The best trick to keeping down the strech is keeping your day and night temps as close as possible.I always make sure my cab fan is set to low during the night.Also try to keep the lights as close as possible during the strech.MH bulbs as help alot to keep the strech down,i used eye hortilux bulbs until recenly,i now run cmh.Good Luck and watch those temps;remember its still early,they get really fat at the end.

I agree with the above posters. The fan leaves are there for a reason so I would leave them. They produce the energy necessary for the buds to grow so I don't think removing them is beneficial to the plant. They are only at 4 weeks. Give them another 4 weeks and then decide if your satisfied. I think they will fatten up a LOT more by then. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe. Do you have any pics of them?

3 plants.... 2 400 watt hps'S....Unless you are lighting a parking lot AND growing MJ... you have WAYYYYY more than enough light for the grow unless there is other circs thast we do not know about.

what kind of Nuting program are you using and have you kept a strict 12/12 light schedule..... it might be strain related and if it is... i would say dont grow it again heh.... If I were to guess I would say your plants are short on a nute to fill out correctly.... or that they just have not been given enought ime to do so.... What do the Trichs look like?n buds might still be just developing....

Latest posts

Back