whats up with Fox Farm???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friend-of-a-friend

Reaction score
O.K. ppl, whats up with Fox Farm soil and Nutes? I hear them referenced in here ALOT and was just wondering what the benefits are. I am flowering in my first grow, and am doin ok with what I could get in this lil po-dunk town of mine (namely Miracle Grow) . But I wanna do my next grow right, so I'm gonna order some genetics and get better soil/nutes. As I stated, I live in a lil town and it is a bit of a drive to get to a place that carries it. Furthermore as I have used my alloted budget for said program, I would have to get it for one of my christmas presents....lol. I went to Fox Farms website and see that they offer a number of different soils/Nutes, but dont quoate prices. So my questions are these 1: would it be worth my time/drive/using one of my presents on 2: What is average cost of said products 3. What soil and nutes should i get? Any help from experienced FF users would be appreciated.

i am a newb so i took peoples advice and got the fox farm oceanforest soil. its 100% organic i think, very good for growing herb. except for shiping cost it was pretty cheap, i think under $20. i also got the tri-pack of fox farm nutes which include grow big, big bloom and tiger bloom. my plants grew pretty nice using these despite the many mistakes i made.

sweetsoca was right on, I also have done it this way and had amazing results, and could swear by foxfarms. The soil is ready out of the bag with everything you need. The tri-pack is perfect to go with it. just wait 3-4 weeks for feeding if you use the ocean forrest, because it already has nutes in it.

I'm sure there are many easy ways to make it yourself, but what's easier than having it there for you?

good luck. hope the advice helped.

i would also like to hear more about this $20 bag of dirt! i'd like to see a side by side grow with FF and MG using clones from the same plant just to see how much differance their really is and how much of it is consumer hype.

I use a soil that is called Pro-Mix. I havent tried the ocean forest cause I dont touch soil with nutrients in it, thats what you would buy the trio for. I have seen many times where people use Miracle Grow or ocean forest soil and they burn up all the seedlings and kill them. I use the trio for nutrients and I love it. If you have promix at a local garden store deffinitly give it a try. The Ocean Forest is expensive so thats another reason I didnt buy it.

you can take any soil and grow in it,its the end product that speaks volumns.also the grower is the one in charge.you can take any soil and grow killer plants,if you know what you are doing.hell,miracle grow is a good soil if you start out right.its not the product,its the grower.you can go outside and shovel up some soil and with the right sheet in it,you're good to go.i used ffof and looking back,its not whats in the soil,its whats not in the soil.

see what andy said is how i feel about it.. i started with mg soil and when i harvested the plants i'd dumped the soil in a tote, clean out some of the larger roots and let it sit untill i need it again. then i reuse it. now the soil only has what i add before i use it and my plants are lovin it.. the plants in my kult and blush grow are in this soil. take a look and see. the soil cost me $8 a year ago.

Andy and Slowmo you are totally right but he is in his first grow and I was thinking he should just try to keep it simple. I cant even count how many threads ive read with people killing their young plants with pre-nuted soil. I just think its easier for him to get the Fox Farm trio and add nutes as needed. I also recycle my soil like you Slowmo.

oh ya i agree maineharvest. prenuted soil can be a pain in the arse when your starting out. im still not sure i would spend that much on soil. imho any organic potting soil would work as long as it doesn't say feeds for X amount of months.

I just recently went out and replaced the FF liquid fertilizers; Grow Big, Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom, and it cost me about $60.00 for all three (about $20.00 for each). FF also has granular fertilizers; Open Sesame, Beastie Blooms, and Cha Ching. These cost me about $70.00 a couple of years ago.

As Andy and Slowmo said above; in order to benefit from fertilizers and soils you need to know how to use them. When using fertilizers it is important to learn when and how much to feed them. It's easy to over-fertilize when any brand of fertilizer. Do some research on how to fertilize etc.

TheEnhancementSmoker said:
I'm not sold on the whole Fox Farm deal. I don't see how it is any better than mixing like worm castings, some guanos, lime, and perlite/vermiculite.

Its all preference brother. Some people swear by Pioneer sterio equipment and others say Bose is the best. I bought Fox Farm nutes, they worked, so Im still using them. Im sure there are other nutes out there that will do exactly the same thing but I prefer FF cause I know it works.

they all work,or they would not be nutes.its how the grower uses them.there are people growing tha want to feed and water every day.thats insanity.especially in soil.then they wonder why their plants go to hell.plain and simple,this is a weed and needs very little to produce,just in the right amounts.

I've done my own mix, I've bought mix. I've gone organic and gone all non-organic...Like everyone else said, learn your girls and you'll learn what makes them thrive. I had the most killer potent herb just using cheap Black gold mixed w/ lime anbd bonemeal, along with just cheap Alaska fish ferts MORBLOOM.

maineharvest said:
Its all preference brother. Some people swear by Pioneer sterio equipment and others say Bose is the best. I bought Fox Farm nutes, they worked, so Im still using them. Im sure there are other nutes out there that will do exactly the same thing but I prefer FF cause I know it works.

I know Fox Farm works well, I am just saying that you can make it yourself for cheaper. Then again, if you do buy Fox Farm, you don't have to deal with mixing your own stuff up, so it is more convenient.

I'm happy with my mix, but it probably isn't the best possible. I'm just not going order dirt by mail.

ok i have a question for those of you who use multi nutes in veg and flowering..

if you have 3 different veg nutes, lets say every other watering you mix all 3 nutes in one gallon.. these numbers are just for the prupose of this question..

first you add 1/4 table spoon of super veg thats NPK is 1-0.5-0.5
then you add 1/4 table spoon of mage plant thats 0.5-1-1
last you add 1/4 table spoon of healthy grow thats 2.5-2.5-2.5

in total your total nutes in the gallon of water is 4-4-4

how is that different than buying a 5-5-5 nute to begin with and just adding 1 type of nute to your water?

please it makes no sense to me and i'd really like to understand it.

I think we are paying for the brand name of Fox Farm. I use one nute for veg and one for flower and the third bottle I use sporatacley throughout the whole grow. So I dont want all three mixed together at the same time.

For example I dont use my veg nutes at all during flower. Id rather have them all seperate and add them as i want to.

I guess it gives me more options instead of having it all in one.

Latest posts

Back