What's up with the top of my bud?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetgreen

Reaction score
This is the only bud that looks like this, and it's the one directly under the bulb, and the tops looks like a...I dunno, a but or something? It certainly doesn't look like the rest, and all the buds under it look normal, it's just the top.

This is my first grow so I don't know if this is normal, but it's just that it's the only one doing it. Maybe it'll be a super intense smoke?

Last pic is of a normal top

TexadaTimewarp 001 (Large).jpg

TexadaTimewarp 003 (Large).jpg

TexadaTimewarp 006 (Large).jpg

TexadaTimewarp 007 (Large).jpg

LMAO he said BUTT, funny. Are you lights too close?. Is it from high heat? it almost looks genetic but lets see what the others say.. Hero

That looks like heat damage to me.
If you put the palm of your hand on that "bud" with the light on, does it burn the back of your hand? If so, its too close. You should be able to feel a little "warmth" but if its uncomfortable to you, how do you think the plant feels?
Peace W

What type of light are you using and how close do you hve it to your plant tops? Looks like heat damage to me as well.

I see heat and PH issues..hope ya get it straighten out

:48:

Yes that looks like heat damage, and the fact that yu say its right under the light supports that. If yu get a chance go to yer hydro store or online and get a HID diffuser. its a smallish metal strip that is angled and has holes drilled in it. it is made specifically made for eliminating hot spots beneath the light without blocking out or shading needed light. it connects quite easily to yer bulb base (but don't try to put it on while the light is on or yu will cook yer hands)

HID lights emit Infrared light. The larger the bulb, the more it emits. IR light is what gives you a sunburn outside. Wind and clouds have almost no effect on it and in the grow room, it can seriously fry the top of a plant that is too close to it's source.

Looks exactly like IR damage.

The damage won't heal. To prevent further damage, increase the distance between the light and your plant.

Here's a good page on it: ehow.com/about_6744341_effect-infrared-light-plant-growth.html

Ok thanks guys. Unfortunately the light is as high as it can go in the tent, and in fact some of the other plants have grown taller than the light!!

But this bud is about 3"-4" under the glass of my air cooled 600hps. It is not hot on my hand, and there are other plants that are touching the glass that don't look like this, so I dunno. But this one is DIRECTLY under the bulb so maybe even tho the heat isn't that bad, the IR light is still ******* with it?

Either way I'm not too worried about it as it's the only one, just curious.

I'll see what I can do to fix it. Thanks for the ideas...I'm excited to smoke it tho, I wonder if the "stress" will make it more potent? Having said that, I don' think there's much "bud" in it anyways.

Bend your plants over and try to keep a even top's level or the other tops will grow into the danger zone and cause you more problems.

Good luck

Did the plant undergo any stress lately?

I have seen some plants, of a couple different stains, do something similar to this when reverting from flower. My guess is it's stress or retardation.

ozzydiodude said:
Bend your plants over and try to keep a even top's level or the other tops will grow into the danger zone and cause you more problems.

Good luck

What kind of problems would those be and where is the danger zone?

here are some more pics of them...also notice the odd shaped brown and yellow blotches on the deformed bud leaves, which is actually a side branch of one of the tallest plants behind it where the top has grown past the light. Could that be stressing this branch which is right under the light? The buds on the top which grew above the light look fine

I have a few plants that are tied back already, but the tops have still grown a couple inches higher than the glass of the light, so up the side of the light they go. I have a loose 24w CFL fixture hung near the tallest top(light fell an inch and burned some bud and leaf but seems ok), and I figure that there is enough reflective light from the inside of the tent that the tops shouldn't die? The bottom of the plants are super light soaked so I'm getting nice buds from the lower branches that have moved in to fill the void of where the rest of the plant used to be before being pulled back. I've basically opened up the middle of the the table as I've pulled tops and branches back, and side branches with nice buds are filling it in. Also makes for a nice gap to put my head in the middle of the girls and feel like a cannabis gang bang...sort of

here are some more pics of them...also notice the odd shaped brown and yellow blotches on the deformed bud, which is a side branch of one of the tallest plants behind it that the top has grown past the light. Could that be stressing this branch which is right under the light?

TexadaTimewarp 003 (Large).jpg

TexadaTimewarp 005 (Large).jpg

TexadaTimewarp 006 (Large).jpg

TexadaTimewarp 007 (Large).jpg

TexadaTimewarp 008 (Large).jpg

TexadaTimewarp 009 (Large).jpg

TexadaTimewarp 012 (Large).jpg

It's heat stress. Keep in mind that with plants some burn easier than others--just like people.

Ok thanks, I think I'll try to bend them down a bit. I noticed actually that a few more tops are starting to look like that now, all hard with few to no hairs.

This is a 70/30 Sativa/Indica strain...would Sativa's burn easier than indicas, or does it not really matter between the two?

In my shallow experience, Sats do seem more heat sensitive than Indies.

Latest posts

Back