Whats wrong with this plant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99nineaces99

Reaction score
1st grow indoors so as you see its basic, gota 600W HPS bulb and a fan constantly running,plant is a 3week old wonderwoman seed so im hopeing its going to grow nice. i test Ph of water every watering (exact 6ph) but not sure how to test soil...?
im thinking it should look lot better??
sorry if photos are too ****,
any help greatly apprecated!

photo.JPG

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

What are you using for soil?

What type of growing are you planing? Organic or chems?

And what brand or brands of nutes are you using?

When growing in soil the optimal pH is 6.5...I would raise the pH from 6.0 to 6.5

Hello 99nineaces99x999 999 times :48:

First: i believe all of the bark will fall out of your pot if you don't straighten it up real soon !

Second: i believe that you have to much bark in your soil ? or bark... causing stunted growth !

Third:Everything that pcduck mentioned should be in check as well ;)

Forth: That miracle grow soil causes stunting as well i have noticed slow release ferts and the like !

All the best ! THC

its small yellow and dead basically??
is this a trick question??

I think its your light,its to young for that bg light,i start them out with fluorescent lights,

yeah what they said, and definately the ph is a big deal 6.3-6.8. 6.5 being optimal. not getting the nute uptake and those lights too, if you have a dimmer turn it to 50% and raise it, which may cause stretch, til she gets a little bigger. small plants are sensiitive. Your best bet is to get some HOt5 flouros imo.

T5s and transplant that sucker into a smaller pot with some airy soil imo.

3 weeks from when you started germination? the amount of total growth seems ok, some start off slower then others. she's on the low end of the spectrum for total growth in 3 weeks, but otherwise looks healthy. if its healthy it should really take off this week. thats a lot of light for a young plant. i can't tell if she is deficient in any way b/c of the yellow light that is put off by the hps. is the plant light green, dark green, or yellow anywhere? a pic under natural light will will help a lot. container size is way too big. your still in the solo cup stage, she's still a seedling. rapid foliage growth begin when she establishes a large enough root system.

is that a bark mulch layer? or does the entire container of soil look like that? IF the structure of the soil looks like the top does, then i would guess she her roots are oxygen deprived. looks like you need more aeration. perlite will do wonders.

are you growing organic or with synthetic nutrients?

jmansweed said:
T5s and transplant that sucker into a smaller pot with some airy soil imo.

Yes that. Too much acid in the wood chips. Get rid of them. Get some ffof soil and transplant it and don't use any nutes. And water the whole pot not just the plant.

Rosebud said:
Yes that. Too much acid in the wood chips. Get rid of them. Get some ffof soil and transplant it and don't use any nutes. And water the whole pot not just the plant.

i was thinking more along the lines of, he just finished reading TLO. the rev calls for washed bark mulch on top of everyone of his containers, claiming that there are no downsides to it.

but i'm just fishing for explanations at this point

Yeah I don't like the looks of that soil much....a ph of 6 is too low but if you have not fed it yet it shouldn't matter that much. If you are using prenuted soil and watering with a ph of 6 then you could be in for problems. I don't feed my seedlings for anywhere from 14-21 days, once I start feeding everything gets ph'd to 6.5. What sized pot is that?

Hamster Lewis said:
Yeah I don't like the looks of that soil much....a ph of 6 is too low but if you have not fed it yet it shouldn't matter that much. If you are using prenuted soil and watering with a ph of 6 then you could be in for problems. I don't feed my seedlings for anywhere from 14-21 days, once I start feeding everything gets ph'd to 6.5. What sized pot is that?

looks like a 5gal in the pic :eek:

ShOrTbUs said:
3 weeks from when you started germination? the amount of total growth seems ok, some start off slower then others. she's on the low end of the spectrum for total growth in 3 weeks, but otherwise looks healthy. if its healthy it should really take off this week. thats a lot of light for a young plant. i can't tell if she is deficient in any way b/c of the yellow light that is put off by the hps. is the plant light green, dark green, or yellow anywhere? a pic under natural light will will help a lot. container size is way too big. your still in the solo cup stage, she's still a seedling. rapid foliage growth begin when she establishes a large enough root system.

is that a bark mulch layer? or does the entire container of soil look like that? IF the structure of the soil looks like the top does, then i would guess she her roots are oxygen deprived. looks like you need more aeration. perlite will do wonders.

are you growing organic or with synthetic nutrients?

Cheers bro, yip 3weeks since i started the seed,so maby its not tooo bad,
Plant is still verry green bvut on the yellow side of green if youno what i mean?? just has few curled/burnt tips.
Toay changed the barky dirt to regular potting mix, rased the light and added another good size fan to grow shed as was quite hot in there not relly getting vent during daytime.
Good thing i repotted wen i did as dirt was verry moist in big clumps, way to much overwatering.
Since repotting ive given 2L of 6.5ph water and ill leve for a good 3days??
Fingers crossed shel grow this week!! ill put sum pics on soon as i can!!:hubba:

Hello 99nineaces99,

You would also do better to use a couple of daylight Cfls or T5s or sunlight !
I'm just saying that because it would save you running 600 watts for one seedling and having heat problems ..at this stage !

She will probably pull through ok.
Yet if you transplant in the future maybe try and use some liquid seaweed/kelp as this aids the roots and is designed to assist transplanting !
She will be in shock for a few days and won't grow much until she recovers from transplanting !
If you could keep us updated i'm sure you will find heaps of assistance during your grow !

If possible : When you say regular potting soil do you mean the type that feeds plants for 3-6 months or is it organic ? What are the package details.

Also do you have an exaust system arranged to vent the heat and how/where is your fresh air coming into your room from and with what type of fan ?

Peace.

Ahhhhhhhh!, since i transplanted to chem free soil,rased the light and added extra fan in the shed.(do not have exahust fan,i just open the door for about 5hrs dayly,Is that ok??)I thought My plant was coming rite but deffingly not, now all bottom leaves have droped off but top set still look healthy as. Ive been reading about Nitrogen defecantcy you guys think it could be this?Has all the symtoms but is only still a seedling 4inches.. Now 5 Weeks old!!!:eek: :mad: Hard to get pics on here, i hope you have sum susgestions with what i just wrote...

Hello 99nineaces99 ,

Welcome back pardner.

Have you got scales ?
I can sense an early harvest coming,

Its just not possible for anyone to direct you towards a healthy harvest unless you have a few basic idea's on how to begin.

For a first time grow you have done acceptionally well.
Opening the door would work for about 10 weeks but you still need to supply the plant with Co2 .
You need to exchange the air in the shed especially when the plant is older !
And yes it needs a feed of a nitrogen based fish emulsion which also contains a few trace elements.
If the sun is shining on your shed you have more need to be exchanging the air because its gonna get hot in there and bake your seedling.

I could fill a page here on info that you need to consider,

Heres a few things that you should consider before planting seeds.
:pot sizes
:Soil and Soil ammendments
:Nutrients
:Air exchange in growroom and Humidity factors
:Temperature and control
:Space
All of these things should be considered and i believe that your plant needs one or more of those things !

Yes some fish emulsion should definately help you out at this point in time ;)

Good luck and stay safe.

99nineaces99 said:
Ahhhhhhhh!, since i transplanted to chem free soil,rased the light and added extra fan in the shed.(do not have exahust fan,i just open the door for about 5hrs dayly,Is that ok??)I thought My plant was coming rite but deffingly not, now all bottom leaves have droped off but top set still look healthy as. Ive been reading about Nitrogen defecantcy you guys think it could be this?Has all the symtoms but is only still a seedling 4inches.. Now 5 Weeks old!!!:eek: :mad: Hard to get pics on here, i hope you have sum susgestions with what i just wrote...

You may be okay now with no exhaust fan, but when the plant gets bigger, you are going to need one. Plants require a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis. This is accomplished with an exhaust fan.

What are your temps getting? What are you planning on feeding them? Do you have nutes? At 5 weeks they are probably ready for food.

We really need pics to help you. I simply resize on Paint and post here. It really doesn't take very long.

if the cotyledons(small round first leaves) are still present then you dont need to add ferts. these are the food leaves and provide all the nutes it needs til the shrivel up and fall off(approx 3 weeks in). I am assuming this already happened as you mentioned some lower leaves fell off. Begin very slowly with the nutes and I like a 2-1-1 NPK ratio for the first few weeks of veg. That changes after veg tho, you still have yet to mention what kind of nutes and whether the soil is organic or has no nutes at all. If possible leave her outside in the natural sunlight for a week, that will serve you best for recovery good co2 and heat, I also like to use superthrive which is a b-1 vitamin supplement to help with stress as well. remember 6.5 ph, once she gets green again youll be on the right track. also too much stress in the beginning of a plants life will increase the odds for males even with feminized seeds. start slowly with the nutes you can always add more, and makes sur not to over water, under water. Its important to let your soil dry out before watering again. Also always start seedlings in a small pot and transfer to bigger ones as she grows. I like those compostable posts, you can just bury them into the soil in the next pot without disturbing the roots and less stress. remember the less stress the higher chances for females! hope this helps! green mojo to you my friend!

Latest posts

Back