When Do you Start Feeding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2theGame

Reaction score
Just wondering when everyone starts to feed seedlings and what you give them. I have rapid start, thrive alive, technaflora nutes, gh 3 part, and im going to buy some dutchmasters this weekend. Lots of experimentation in my near future!

Most start feeding seedlings at 2-4 weeks. Start at about 1/8 to 1/4 strength nutes and work up from there.

Why would you be buying more nutes when you already have Technaflora and GH? I would either save the money or buy something else that I needed more. I am partial to the GH Flora 3 part.

now that i have a grow under my belt and know what im capable of, i wanted to run 4 clones and 4 nutes and see which i prefer. i know it seems like a ton of work and a ton of money, but neither are an issue for me and I don't mind working hard and paying for an education lol :) I was planning on week 2 at 1/4 strength. If that burns them are they toast? Should I start at 1/8 and bump up? Thanks THG...

No offense, but being new, I think you should stick to one nute brand and get it down before experimenting with 4 at one time. It is not so much the tons of money or time--IMO, you need more grows under your belt. Unless your grow is really dialed in and all your other parameters are in line, you won't really know what is doing what. There is far more to nutrients than following a schedule on the back of some bottles. You are going to need to be able to read your plants and know what they need--this takes numerous grows and knowing your plants and knowing your nutrients. Also, IMO, you need more than 1 plant to run an experiment like this.

i experimented slightly through my last grow.. pushing my ppms on one of my plants til the tips burned and backing off slightly by adding a little water. i see your point that im new and should slow it down, my mind just races non stop about everything and I act. Maybe Ill do as you say. Thanks :p

Maybe Ill do as you say.

Well if you don't, expect numerous failures.
I have to agree with THG, until you can tell by looking at your plants and what they need or don't need, you would just be guessing. There are just to many different factors then just nutes to growing. I would get a nute line and stick with it till you are dialed in then start the experiments. If you never dial in a nute line/grow you will never know what the plant is capable of.

New2theGame said:
i experimented slightly through my last grow.. pushing my ppms on one of my plants til the tips burned and backing off slightly by adding a little water. i see your point that im new and should slow it down, my mind just races non stop about everything and I act. Maybe Ill do as you say. Thanks :p

Actually, that is exactly what you are going to want to do...however, with one nute line at a time. I also push my nutes until I see a little nute burn and then back off some. I know with my outside flowers and veggies that grow the best are the ones that get lots of food and water.

I know that having so many choices can be mind boggling. We are all looking for "the best" of whatever. However as time goes on, you will realize that there is really no magic something out there that is going to be substantially different than another somethings. Nutes are one example. I, personally like GH nutes. I have found that I prefer Flora Nova Grow for vegging. This is a 1 part nute, works well for me, and seems to buffer my water better than the 3 part. However, my plants do not seem to like the Flora Nova Bloom, so I go with the 3 part series or go with the Lucas formula and use only the Micro and Bloom. I have found that I need to add Cal Mag to my hydro grows during flowering, but not veg. Even within one nute line, you have plenty of room for experimentation.

I agree with THG and pc...I personally love GH 3 part and it's all I use. I don't follow a feeding schedule so much as let the plants tell me when they are hungry. I push my nutes on them hard till I see signs of burn on the tips and then back it off ever so slightly. Jmo

I use formula Flora, and they got a special feeding schedule which i always use as a guidance.

All nutrient lines have feeding schedules. These should, however, only be used as a guideline. Different strains can and do have different nutrient needs. This is where learning your plants and your nutrient line come into play--being able to adjust the strength for your particular plants.

My seedlings get nutes on their third set of real leaves -- 1/4 strength. My clones set in 1/4 strength nutes in the cloner and get full vedge nutes when transplanted. I use GH 3 part nutrients. It works for me :)

Peace

Latest posts

Back