When should I sex my plants?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vburton517

Mrs. B Atl-Alien
Reaction score
:) Hey United Growers!

I'm new to this, and very humble towards getting advice. I have built me a grow cabinet out of a metal file cabinet 2x4x 8/12, lined it w/mylar and have a 1000w HPS with cooling reflector and inline duct fan system. Also with adjustable shelfs and ventilation at the top of cabinet, and oscillating fan at the bottom. Plants are about 6" high I prunned them in
there 3rd week, and they look marvelous!!!!! I started nutrients this week of the 4th week of vegin. I'm curious, I have stavia and indica, short/tall.
Most of them are already bushing. How much longer till sexing? Please advise they're under a 18/6 light schedule.... Thanks and Hollar Back!

WOW! You've got lighting maxed! A 400 watt light would work great in that much area, so you've got it maxed for sure. Watch the temps...

You can sex the plant any time after it's sexually mature. It's sexually mature when it's got it's first set of alternating nodes.

From the base of the PLANT to the top of the grow area, how much grow room do you have in height? Keep in mind that you have to have a fire safety space above your light, and a infrared safety zone between the tops of your plants and the light.

18 inch Sativas will grow to 5 feet tall by harvesting time. Indicas won't be very far behind.

Use LST to fill the grow space real well. If it's a bit over crowded, the plant will eliminate the parts which don't get light. The trick is to maximize the area with tops.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, caught a deal on lighting for cheap didn't realize it'll be to much. Temps are running great and I have a cooling relector and inline duct fan on it. rh/40%-60% and temp 75°-83° with 10% decrease in dark period.

vburton517 said:
Thanks for the info, caught a deal on lighting for cheap didn't realize it'll be to much. Temps are running great and I have a cooling relector and inline duct fan on it. rh/40%-60% and temp 75°-83° with 10% decrease in dark period.
What do you mean by "rh/40%-60% and temp 75°-83° with 10% decrease in dark period"?

Also, remember that infrared light can harm your plants, and that it is not affected by fans or cooling reflectors. You'll need to keep your distances good for that size light.

Also, watch above your cabinet for heat problems on the ceiling of the room. 1000 watt lights put out a LOT of heat.

"Hey, is this your house" is not something you ever want to hear from a cop or fireman.

What I mean by rh/relative humidity is between 40%-60%. Temperature is between 75-83 degrees constant an nite it drops to about 60 degrees. I have the cabinet in the basement in a out of the way room. I have the plants about 1 1/2 ft away from lights. I haven't had any leaf burning, I adjust the shelf so they'll have a safe distance. I use common sense, If I put my arm underneath the light and its to hot for me, then same for the plants. I do own my home. The cabinet is aproximately 4 ft away from the ceiling which is concrete...

It is good you think about safety! A fire extinguisher is always a good thing to have near a grow... or some ABC fire powder in a containter.

Yes, safety is important. I'll have go get an extinguisher for incase of emergencies.. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back