When to take clones of the clone?

• Thread starter White WidowMaker
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

White WidowMaker

I have a healthy cloned female. I see already new, healthy branches growing out from her lower nodes. Question is when do I take these cuttings of these branches to make clones of the clone? How big or small do they need to be?

An important consideration in this is that I need enough time for these clones to root so that I can transplant in larger pots so that when I leave on trip for 3 weeks they will survive a well-watered pot + bowl near the window sill without the need for constant care that new cuttings need as they are trying to produce roots.

It looks like I can take 3 cuttings of 3 branches relatively soon, and perhaps in another month another 4 from the lower nodes with tiny new growth that I hope grows larger as time goes on.

Thanks for help.

:ciao: you answered yourself when you said how you Transplant...lol...I let clone establish root base and gets about 10 inches tall..Im not sure about leaving for 3 weeks..without some kind of watering..why not buy a batterie opperted hose timer for garden hose..get a pressure reduccer and a drip setup is cheap...get drippers to best match your container..and set to water every 4 days..just remember sitting next to widow..3 weeks they will stretch ..maybe out your window...sorry..Im High as Hell right now..i need to find my weed

4u2sm0ke said:
:ciao: you answered yourself when you said how you Transplant...lol...I let clone establish root base and gets about 10 inches tall..Im not sure about leaving for 3 weeks..without some kind of watering..why not buy a batterie opperted hose timer for garden hose..get a pressure reduccer and a drip setup is cheap...get drippers to best match your container..and set to water every 4 days..just remember sitting next to widow..3 weeks they will stretch ..maybe out your window...sorry..Im High as Hell right now..i need to find my weed

Thanks for help. I don't have option of running a garden hose indoors or drip timer. Window sill is ok. Strong sunlight during mid-day. It will be good learning experience to see if they survive. If not, then I have seeds (now 8! - another 2-3 I see will be ready in a few days or maybe tomorrow).

ok, 10 inches. Thanks. I wish I was high now like you.

4u2sm0ke said:
let us know how it works 4U:aok:

I will do so. In regards to this, I debated whether to start a new thread to ask a follow-up question, but decided it would be best within this same context:

Should I place the cuttings in soil with rich worm-castings, or just soil? I read somewhere here someone say clones prefer no fertilizer, but this seems illogical. Why wouldn't new clones like rich soil with rich nutrients? And Mutt says he has even grown plants in straight worm-castings + vermiculite and perlite.

So what are the opinions from experienced growers in soil about this issue? I won't add chemical fertilizers, but I am considering using soil rich with worm-castings hoping the nutrients will help the little female cuttings to establish quicker/better.

As it looks like the 3 first branches will be long enough in about 1-2 weeks, I appreciate the prompt replies.

:ciao: i use clonex..when transfering to soil..I use a bubble cloner that massproducer has a DIY thread..only uses water..Hick...uses only perlite. you can experiment ..thats what im doing too...and remember the trick is patients on cloneing..good luck:bolt::bong:

Thanks, man.

Some rude people here mistake being new to cloning to being new to growing entirely - idiots. I have grown hundreds and perhaps thousands of plants always-from-seed-only since I started growing over 17 years ago!

Yes, I like to experiment like you.

Misty's (the clone) branches are now about 1 - 1.5 inch "stem", and about 2-3 inches leaves and upper growth (looks like 2 future-branches each cutting).

When I received advice of 3-5 inches, was this including THE ENTIRE CUTTING or the to-be-planted-stem/root??

I am dying to do these cuttings. Is this long enough? Or did those experienced soil-cloners mean that the to-be-planted-stem (vs. entire cutting length) length is to be 3-4-5 inches optimum length?

Thanks for the urgent help. I want to cut today or asap according to your advice.

The entire cuting WWM dip apx 1 to1 1/2 inches of stem into rooting solution then into soil mix (soil & worm casting) the fert levels in worm casting IMO dont hurt clones.

ozzydiodude said:
The entire cuting WWM dip apx 1 to1 1/2 inches of stem into rooting solution then into soil mix (soil & worm casting) the fert levels in worm casting IMO dont hurt clones.

Cool, thanks! because I think that lower stem is not growing as much as her upper growth on each branch-to-be-cloned.

I think I will give her one or a few more days in the sun just to make sure she is stronger and ready to go. This week I hope for sure!

i took clones off 16 day old seedlings..clones taken are less than 2" in total size<leaf/stem..smaller than a jiffypuck..and they took root ..so you can take clones from mothers or clone from clones at any age, any size as far as im concerned. was in my clonebox 10mins ago and even the stuburn yellowing clone that i though was a goner..it to had a taproot shooting threw the jiffypuck today ;) im hooked

Dankerz said:
i took clones off 16 day old seedlings..clones taken are less than 2" in total size<leaf/stem..smaller than a jiffypuck..and they took root ..so you can take clones from mothers or clone from clones at any age, any size as far as im concerned. was in my clonebox 10mins ago and even the stuburn yellowing clone that i though was a goner..it to had a taproot shooting threw the jiffypuck today ;) im hooked

If I wasn't so tired now, I would clone two of the 3 branches because they are exactly 2 inches like you say.

Would you recommend (in your experience soil-cloning) going for 2 inch more green and tender, or risk the growth to 3-4 inches and more hard-woody (yet probably still green and less tender)?? I am concerned the root won't take if too young. Do you think the longer the piece of green under the soil, the better the chances for all or most of that to become root?????????

Give me 7 to 10 days WWM and I will tell you how well 2 in clones do. I took 6 2inch clone 6 3 inch clones and 6 4 inch clones today. All clones are from 3 mothers that all clone rather quickly in the spring. After reading all your questions I got to wondering.

Should I place the cuttings in soil with rich worm-castings, or just soil? I read somewhere here someone say clones prefer no fertilizer, but this seems illogical. Why wouldn't new clones like rich soil with rich nutrients?
cuttings without roots "cannot" benefit from nutrient rich soil. It is pointless. "IME".. the lighter/'airier' the medium, the easier, quicker to root.

Some rude people here mistake being new to cloning to being new to growing entirely - idiots.
much like mj cultivation, "you reap what you sew"..;)

Latest posts

Back