When to trim..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle244948

Reaction score
I was wondering when I should start trimming leaves that are in the way of other nodes growing. I have some that are just falling off because of no light and age, but I was wondering if I should trim the bigger leaves that are higher up on the plant. They just seem like they are in the way of the other branches that are trying to grow. I wish I had pics but no camera at the moment. What do you guys usually do?? BTW I just started 12/12 light schedule on Tuesday. I have been adding 1/2 strength nutes of vegg formula and I was wondering if I should stick with 1/2 strength of veg or flower formula for my next water, or should I go to full strength with one of each? Thanks a lot

assuming that conditions are 'up to par'.......
I wouldnt cut healthy shade leaves off. The plant needs those man....have you looked into Low stress training? Lean that sucker over and shed some light on those lower nodes..

Everything is up to par as you said but I wasnt sure if I shoul or not. I was thinking about LST but I think im going to save that for my next grow. The lower nodes look healthy but I wasnt sure if cutting the fan leaves would help or hurt the plant. Thanks for the input.

U never should trim anything unless you are "topping" or trimming off dead/rotting leaves.

some folks will trim some of the fan leaves that are shading lower buds a week or so before harvest so they can ripen.... which seems reasonable.

KADE said:
U never should trim anything unless you are "topping" or trimming off dead/rotting leaves.

So it is a good idea to trim off rotting growth? I've got a vegging plant that shows quite a few rotting leaves due to a calcium (hard water) overdose and I was wondering if trimming them might help it recover.

What up shadoe..the way I see it...the plant is wasting growth while attempting to repair or get rid of damaged or 'used up' leaves. so I trim them if they're in bad enough shape.. I wouldnt get carried away though.

KADE said:

See thats what I thought and thats pretty much what I have done " trimmed off dead/rotting leaves" It just seemed like the bigger fan leaves were shading the lower nodes and the leaves coming off of those nodes, but I will let them be. Could anyone answer my other question for me?? I a little stumped on what to do about adding nutes since I just started flowering.

I trim them off for the increased disease/mold and unclean aspect...

No trimming if you don't have to, and for nutes I'd say switch totally to flowering only nutes at 1/2 power the first time, full every other watering...

Yeah, never trim leaves... ur cutting its "arms" to eat/drink with off... but dead growth definately needs to go..

Fluid1 said:
No trimming if you don't have to, and for nutes I'd say switch totally to flowering only nutes at 1/2 power the first time, full every other watering...

Why do you say give nutes every other watering? Why not feed every time you water. I would say it would be kind of a tease if you only gave them nutes every other watering. Can you please give me an explanation why people do this or is it just a personal experience thing? Thanks a lot

Latest posts

Back