Where spider mites come from....?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Rosebud It's cheaper if I just use high proof alcohol. Yep.. . 95.45 % EtOH fine misting outdoors, and mites appear to be totally gone and plant is as healthy as ever.

lets get a few of those at that price aksarben.
Hi Zem, long time no see. How you doing dude?
Hi Rose :) It is my bad that I am not engaging a lot in discussions these days. I still have my habit to keep mp open in a tab and check for new posts always, so I am always around. How are you Rose? I guess that you are preparing for yet another bigger better outdoor season? :D

We have an Ozone gernerator at the winery where I work. Does a great job! It injects O3 into a water stream and we use it for sanitizing tanks and such as we don't have to rinse the tank when were done. Leaves a sweet smelling odor in the cellar. Costs around $10,000.00
Well for a small sized growroom, the ozone generator would be in the hundreds and not thousands of dollars and it produces gas only. In a sealed room, the gases seep into all the unseen crevices and kill everything.

Yes, the ozone will kill everything and leave NO residue.... just turn back into O2 eventually. CO2 would kill them but you need a lot and it leaks out of areas faster since it is heavier than air.

Checked today and the spider mites I sprayed with near pure ethanol are not around any more. Plant is going great guns!

Checked today and the spider mites I sprayed with near pure ethanol are not around any more. Plant is going great guns!
While I never tried ethanol on the plants, I did however try insecticidal soap that kills on contact and it killed any insect that it hit. Problem is that it has no residual effect, just like ethanol, so it does not harm the pests after it had evaporated. I had mites constantly regaining their numbers after a while and then I would be well into flowering and I would not even want to use insecticidal soap, and surely not ethanol since it is a very strong solvent for thc and it will ruin my buds.

im going to kinda answer my own question, but if you have more info...please post

Life History and Habits
Spider mites develop from eggs, which usually are laid near the veins of leaves during the growing season. Most spider mite eggs are round and extremely large in proportion to the size of the mother. After egg hatch, the old egg shells remain and can be useful in diagnosing spider mite problems.

There is some variation in the habits of the different mites that attack garden plants, trees and shrubs. Outdoors, the twospotted spider mite and honeylocust spider mite survive winter as adults hidden in protected areas such as bark cracks, bud scales or under debris around the garden. Other mites survive the cool season in the egg stage. As winter approaches, most mites change color, often turning more red or orange. This habit may be why they are sometimes called "red spiders."

Most spider mite activity peaks during the warmer months. They can develop rapidly during this time, becoming full-grown in as little as a week after eggs hatch. After mating, mature females may produce a dozen eggs daily for a couple of weeks. The fast development rate and high egg production can lead to extremely rapid increases in mite populations.

Other species of spider mites are most active during the cooler periods of the growing season, in spring and fall. This includes the spruce spider mite and most of the mites that can damage turfgrass. These cool-season spider mites may cease development and produce dormant eggs to survive hot summer weather.

Dry conditions greatly favor all spider mites, an important reason why they are so important in the more arid areas of the country. They feed more under dry conditions, as the lower humidity allows them to evaporate excess water they excrete. At the same time, most of their natural enemies require more humid conditions and are stressed by arid conditions. Furthermore, plants stressed by drought can produce changes in their chemistry that make them more nutritious to spider mites

You got your answer mate. But they are usually born in eggs like most of the insects haha

thanks alot guys,
Im going to be more careful when entering the "room" now.

I think i should get one of thoes Radiation suits!!! the all white ones, with white shoes, a huge white helment thingy......that should keep em away.
Can you say dressed up like the movie back to the future rofl
Darth_Vader-Vulcan_Salute.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back