Where's my roots!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pax125

Ilvbd
Reaction score
I have 6 clones. 2 connie chung and 4 white widow. All were taken 11/25. I used 1 drop super thrive and 5ml of hygrozyme per gal. They are in a dome with temps steady around 80 and 40% humidity. Where's the roots? The only thing I have done differently from the past is take them while the mothers are early in veg. I had no choice at the time. Is that the issue?

I like a higher humidity when doing clones

How do I raise it any further? I tried a cup of water in the dome with a small rag hanging out of the top but that raises it very little. Any ideas? I have a 75w basic plant grow bulb about 4 feet away. the color of them has remained impressively nice and green. Just no sign of roots.

mist them and get the light closer

I dont know what kind of light that is but 4 feet is far, but light is not that big a deal in clonning imo.

its been 12 days wait it out they may still be fine, use a spray bottle to raise humidity in the dome.

for the record I clone in a bubbler with str8 water no dome in 25% humidity.

How wet are you keeping them? I had a problem a while back where I had too much water on my clones' jiffy starter plugs. The cuttings stayed alive but would not throw roots from plants that I have rooted repeatedly before in a aeroponic cloner. Also you definitely need a spray bottle to mist them daily. I think it is also important to keep them right at 80*f and try to keep humidity around 70+%(misting will do that)

I am using rapid rooter plugs and am misting daily. I use a digital meter that has the probe that is inserted into the dome while the meter stays out. I hope that isn't an issue. I water when the plugs are dry by putting the cloning trays on a vented tray and dip it slightly in to the water mix so the liquid comes from the bottom up. Is it possible to cut them too soon? I didn't have this issue when I cut them from my last crop two weeks into flowering. Maybe I need to invest in a bubbler. Can I make one? Any suggestions? Thanks everyone!!

I made mine, a small rubber maid drill holes in the lid and add a small air pump and stone, but you can have great success in RR too, not sure what you mean by letting them dry out but you shouldnt they need to stay wet in plugs but not too wet, thats the fun part, and thats why i use a bubbler, jmo

dman1234 said:
I made mine, a small rubber maid drill holes in the lid and add a small air pump and stone, but you can have great success in RR too, not sure what you mean by letting them dry out but you shouldnt they need to stay wet in plugs but not too wet, thats the fun part, and thats why i use a bubbler, jmo

Yep Me too.
A bubbler takes a lot of the guesswork out of it.

HomieHogleg

Off to make a bubbler I go! What is it that the clone is actually in? What is put into the drilled hole? Basic instructions.

Go to one of the online hydro stores and buy the neoprene cloner inserts(they work really good) then get a small rubbermaid tote from walmart or homie depot(about 1-3gal size). Take the lid and drill one small hole(about 1/4") just big enough to run an airline through. Get a really good med to high output air pump(if it has multiple air ports then use them all and just drill more holes in the lid).

Get yu some air stones for each hose. These will go into the bottom of the tote. As soon as you get yer neoprene plugs(or if you can find some similar material locally like the pool noodles that the kids like in the summer) you will need to cut out holes that are just a 1/4"-1/2" smaller than the diameter of the neoprene puck so that you can squeeze it into the hole as this will hold yer cuttings in place above the water.

If you get the neoprene plugs, they will come with slits precut into them that allows you to open them up and insert the cutting. But you can also use some hose that is no less than 1/2" inside diameter, cut it into 3/4"-1" pieces. drill the holes in the lid to match the outside diameter of the hose and glue them in place.

once yu take yer clones(make sure they are several inches long so that a couple inches sticks out below the hose) and just inset them through the hose so that the bottom leaves holds them in place. Make sure yer solution in the tote is very close to the cuttings so that the boiling action of the bubbles continually wets the cuttings. In a couple weeks you should have enough roots on them to plant, just be careful pulling them out of the hose or plugs so that you don't damage the roots. :)

Latest posts

Back