Which dirt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex47

Reaction score
I know that in order for plants to grow they need a special type of dirt to meet their needs. Is this the same for Marijuana? If so, does anyone know which dirt I should get?

I like Roots Organics Green Lite. It has good drainage as well as goodies that cannabis likes. It isn’t cheap but has worked well for me. A soil with good drainage is important.

You will get a lot of answers here. My new favorite is the Foxfarm strawberry soil because of no gnats on my current grow with it.

I use Fox Farm Happy Frog with seeds and seedlings (16oz cups) since it’s not too hot for them. Then I use Fox Farm Ocean Forest once I transplant. I add roughly 20% more perlite to my Ocean Forest which allows it to drain more easily.

Some people claim to get gnats with this soil if it stays too wet , but I’ve never had that trouble. I also started topping my soil with hydroton clay pellets to prevent gnats too. (I’d hate to meet the gnat that can lift a hydroton pellet)

pro mix BX for the win...no nutes so you can craft your own environment of nutrients...I prefer to use a medium that has no additives so I can make what I want...

I use Fox Farm Happy Frog with seeds and seedlings (16oz cups) since it’s not too hot for them. Then I use Fox Farm Ocean Forest once I transplant. I add roughly 20% more perlite to my Ocean Forest which allows it to drain more easily.

Some people claim to get gnats with this soil if it stays too wet , but I’ve never had that trouble. I also started topping my soil with hydroton clay pellets to prevent gnats too. (I’d hate to meet the gnat that can lift a hydroton pellet)
Same Same, never had an issue, 5 gal fabric bags inside.

I am going to use Happy Frog for germination and seedlings. Should I amend it with perlite at this early stage?

Plan to use Ocean Forest with 20% perlite for veg growth.

Latest posts

Back