Which growth medium should I use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherry X

Reaction score
Cannabis lovers have many options when choosing a growth medium. Due to its strong nature, alternative materials can be used to support the roots and weight of plants so that they can grow in or without soil.
soil
The soil needs a feeding pH of 6-7. This is because the soil contains live bacteria and requires a biological pH to ensure that they can still function. However, it can also be used as a buffer, so accurate pH determination is not important. In addition, unlike soil-less cultivation, most soil mixtures do not require any additional nutrients for at least a few weeks, because they contain all the essentials needed by plants from the beginning.
Soil-less
Soil-less cultivation uses an inert medium, which means you will need to provide all the nutrients in the water during the feeding period. Commonly used media are peat cocoa (coconut oil), or perlite. I personally use a combination of coco coconut shell and perlite (80:20) to obtain an efficient and stable indoor cannabis growth medium. A key benefit is faster growth than soil, but it must be very precise in terms of pH and manual feeding of nutrients.
Choosing the right container for cannabis
Now that you have decided which growth medium to use, you must consider which container to use. Hemp is so versatile that you can grow it in barrels or even in ordinary pots, but modern planting techniques show that there are more effective alternatives, such as fabrics or air cans.
With more porosity, it can make air better permeate the culture medium and provide the roots of plants with the oxygen needed for growth. They also provide better drainage performance, which is usually a key issue for beginners.
Fabric basins are usually made of recyclable materials and sound a lot like they can provide excellent drainage and allow some air to pass through, especially between watering.
Air tanks are made of plastic and have the main advantages of fabric tanks, but they have greater air permeability and can promote growth, especially during plant growth.

I'm using 7gallon grow bags. Fox Farms Soil, Happy Frog and Ocean Forest. I'm also using some supplements/nutes. Fishbone Meal, Kelp Meal, Unsulphered Black Strap Mollases, Organic Brewer's Yeast and Diatomaceous Earth . My Ladys are growing nicely outdoors. Seems everyone bashes Fox Farms, I have had no issues as a newbie grower. I'm very pleased with Fox Farms so far.

20210626_152305.jpg
20210627_122752.jpg

Last edited:
I use Sunshine Mix # 4 in 4 1/2 gallon soft plastic pots with holes drilled in the bottom and half way up the sides. All watering is from the bottom.
IMG_1297.JPG
IMG_1298.JPG

Dont ever turn your back on Hippie unless you want to spoon. 😁

Everyone's planting effects are amazing, and I want to learn from you.

I'm using 7gallon grow bags. Fox Farms Soil, Happy Frog and Ocean Forest. I'm also using some supplements/nutes. Fishbone Meal, Kelp Meal, Unsulphered Black Strap Mollases, Organic Brewer's Yeast and Diatomaceous Earth . My Ladys are growing nicely outdoors. Seems everyone bashes Fox Farms, I have had no issues as a newbie grower. I'm very pleased with Fox Farms so far.

View attachment 274660View attachment 274661

Very nice example of using Foxfarm products correctly.... people bash it because they use FFOF on clones or babies and burn the crap out of them.. your mix is excellent. Keep on setting a fine example of how a newbie can rock it
right out of the gate.

Soils: Favorite is Roots Organic, however, right now I am using Foxfarm's Strawberry Fields and it's purdy good... what I"d like to do is mix the 2 as each has it's own big advantages... then I feed organically.. plants get so big if I
don't top them in veg, I have to bend them over to fit inside my small tent... lol
sm b (3).jpg

Very nice example of using Foxfarm products correctly.... people bash it because they use FFOF on clones or babies and burn the crap out of them.. your mix is excellent. Keep on setting a fine example of how a newbie can rock it
right out of the gate.

Soils: Favorite is Roots Organic, however, right now I am using Foxfarm's Strawberry Fields and it's purdy good... what I"d like to do is mix the 2 as each has it's own big advantages... then I feed organically.. plants get so big if I
don't top them in veg, I have to bend them over to fit inside my small tent... lolView attachment 274717

Thanks for that, Here are My Ladys Yesterday.
20210701_091157.jpg
20210701_091452.jpg

20210701_091452.jpg
u

Latest posts

Back