Which one is better 400 or 600 HPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys..and lets all be friends here for the name of GANJA...

We still don't know how many square feet the grow-space it. To give a proper answer, we need to know what area the light needs to cover. ;)

Edit: This is post 420 for me. :48:

akirahz said:
Well i didn't stoop so low as to personal insults "monkey?". And i guess i cant read well either, and "assumption" i think that was first blood there.. Not me trying to argue with anyone, just him stepping on my advice for some child like reason "oh a 600 puts out too much heat get a 400!! oh wait a 1000 would be the best bro!" .. Bravo OH wait dude, how about 3000 watts!! oh crud thats too much heat, but ya know if you could deal with the heat 3000 would be the best!! :rolleyes:

Omg dude.
I wasnt putting down your advice. i was just assuming that this new grower was going to be doing a small first time grow. and that it would be eaiser for him to manage a lower wattage Lamp.
Im just letting him know what the difference is!! he asked a question, and i was explaing the Point of even getting a 400w. It makes a good yeild for about 3 -4 plants, and it has less heat than a 600w.
sorry for going a little bit more indepth than you did.
stop being a baby first, and second. a 1000w really is best...out of 70w-400w-600w-1000w...i would say the 1000 is best.
ya and IF you could mange the heat from a single 3000w hps..then ya that would be best, and it would be a crap ton of lumens.......and hey maybe if i knew where to get a 3000w, i could manage the heat....probly not since my grow room wouldnt even fit a 3000w.....nor would i want to pay the bill for a 3000w lamp..

you have completely taken my words wrong. I never meant for them to undermine your words. I just worded it wrong, i was stoned, and i wasnt typing well. next time ill make sure its very clear for you.

Firepower said:
oh common dude. thats uncalled for, people trying to help people around here, no need to speak down to someone while they trying to help a fellow grower...

"""So what your saying is a 600 watt isn't as good as a 400 watt because it puts out more heat, but yet the 1000 watter is a miracle worker hahaha! Makes good sense. . .""

thats what he said, he took what i said, way out of context.

and said i dont make sence.....so i said, you cant read good.
Understandable or what?

600w HPS lights are typically more efficient than 400w (or 1000w lights). If you are trying to choose between the 400w and 600w, all else being equal, choose the 600w.

ok, but what if he has a small grow room, and is limited on height?
then a 600w is going to have alot of heat, and going to be hard to manage.
only if your grow is big enough, and if you even need a 600w, then get one.
But theres no point in wasting lumens, if you dont have too...plus you save money if you arent wasting light.

thanks guys.. i bought the 400w light because it was my onlu chooice! its the only one i found down town. my closet size is 40i nches width and 73inches hight.. so iguess the 400w will be great

stop being a baby first,
"THAT" is the kinda' crap that we aren't going to allow.
and it isn't your first. (I saw the "monkey" insult prior to MarP editing it)
You can post a difference of opinion, without a "childish" name or "juvenile" insult.

im sorry hick,
i think you understand my short fuse.
this person took my word out of context.....and since im not alloud to use Adult Language here such as swearing.... all i could do was Resort to these Childish names.....like monkey and Baby...however please please dont think i mean monkey in any sort of racest way......i just meant like you "goof"
again, im sorry for my short fuse...i will keep it clean

AH i better toss one in as well, didn't mean to rupture on ya or nothin ekoostik, hope you didn't take it personally , nahhh ya didnt :) forgive me eh?

did red ss ever say what he was going with for sure?

That's what I'm thinking of doing, one closet at 2+' x 7' with 2 400W setups. Gonna have some good fans for ventilation in and out, just have to worry about the amps and the fuse panel in this old place.

If its any help to this thread at this point -

my understanding is that heat is fairly consistent to wattage. So a 400 watt bulb puts off 40% as much heat as a 1000watt, a 600w 60%.
Came to this understanding through the geat Floro debates, in which I learned that 400 watts of Floro tubes will generate as much heat as 400 of HPS, though not concentrated at a single point obviously.

I think the OP made the right choice, even a 400 in a closet is going to be a challenge in keeping temps down without the help of an aircooled hood + mighty fan.

Latest posts

Back