which ph test to trust?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROOR

Pot Nerd
Reaction score
whats more accurate....soil or run-off?

I'd trust the run-off. I've always trusted the run off more than a top sample. IMHO

Yup, and get a ph pen off of ebay if u have to. $15.99

Dr.GreenThumb said:
I offered him mine and he told me NO !!! :eek:

LOL..yeah right....send that oakton right over....:D

how about tds/ec meters...are they mostly for hydro?

Usually the only difference is u cannot replace the electrode, or it doesn't take a universal one.... I've never had a ph pen die on me except for the time i didn't keep it wet.... my bad... =-)

Maybe not for you... but if you are not testing the waters ph b4 watering I'd bet you'll have problems.

seattle420 said:
PH testing is usually not needed in a soil grow.

I disagree completely and not sure where you got this info. If you dont monitor your PH level I dont care if its hydro or soil you are screwed.

Anyone worth 1/2 their weight in salt knows that... I just wasn't gonna start an arguement =0

Ph level in hydro is 1000% Critical.... soil buffers the ph somewhat... but typically buffers the ph to the wrong number you are looking for...

KADE said:
Ph level in hydro is 1000% Critical.... soil buffers the ph somewhat... but typically buffers the ph to the wrong number you are looking for...

When I checked my FoxFarm soil with distilled h2o, PH was just about 5.8 way to low.

I can't even remember the last time i checked PH.
dirt has anough buffers, that inless your on well water, or you have very hard water, your water run off should be around PH 6.5

Canso said:
I can't even remember the last time i checked PH.
dirt has anough buffers, that inless your on well water, or you have very hard water, your water run off should be around PH 6.5

I can only speak for where I live, but the water must be better up there in BC then down here in the cities in Texas...

Dr.GreenThumb said:
When I checked my FoxFarm soil with distilled h2o, PH was just about 5.8 way to low.

Its suppopst to be 6.3...

my water is about 7 or so from the tap.. I have a well. Same everyday for years. I'll know exactly once my new ph pen gets here.

Latest posts

Back