Which SOIL TO USE!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speero_m

Traditional
Reaction score
:confused: Hey guys, which soil i should use or which soil is the best for growing MJ.
here are some pictures to what im using 3/4 potting mix(Mir-Grow) and 1/4 Plantaflor...the third i used a little but found it to heavy.

What Do Yo think? Thanks

putmix.jpg

putmix compo.jpg

potsoil.jpg

Hey S!
I used soil with no nutrients in it and my plants are fine. Also, if you read around in the forum, you will come across thread saying that it's always better to wait to put nutrients in the soil (usually when they are flowering). The young plant could burn because of the nutes. All of the above is not valid if you are growing in hydroponics. There you need to put nutrients.....Correct me people if I'm wrong.

Hemp-o Kitty said:
All of the above is not valid if you are growing in hydroponics. There you need to put nutrients.....Correct me people if I'm wrong.

You can grow in basic water for a while... but same with ground.. water will run outta nutes pretty fast if none are introduced... so adding some proper measurments always helps the yeild.

MG soil should be provide plenty of nutes while in the veg stage, i have found in my personal experience that trying to introduce ANY nutes to MG soil in their veg stage has resulted in nute burn. i have started using some fish ferts, still not enough time yet to show results from it but its a much less aggresive fert since its all organic, and will have lesss chance of burn.

when using mg potting soil mix it with 1/4 perlite and a little dolomite lime to make the soil neutral. i've also had root burn in my plants like cyber stated earlier when using nutes with mg, the leaves all curled inward toward the stem, if your gonna use mg, using a little dolomite lime will help.

Im using the MG soil right now and its ooook. DO NOT use nutes in veg. stage because it will burn your plants. Plus, any younger plants do have some trouble with the pre-nuted soil. I think after Im done witht the soil Im gonna go for Fox Farm.

i have used MG w/moister control and my little ones didnt like it at all.So i ended up changing it all up and i went to the other soil you got up there the hyponex that will tight up to much so add some per. and some verm. a 1/4 of each and then you'll have some decent soil.Using that you can and will need to add some nutes after they are acouple weeks old.I started to use Grow Big from Fox Farm and my little ones love it(for veg.)But the best person to ask about MG is the man himself "The Brothers Grunt" he has such good luck with MG.Hope this helped and good luck with your grow.:farm: If you do a search on him he has some very good threads talking about MG.

yeah MG is shortly on its way out my door too, but got to use this crap up, just used the last of it yesterday so i want to do some hunting this weekend for some better stuff.

i use the same moisture control soil hes got pictured, it does do a great job at keeping the soil moist, BUT man it will burn the crap out of some seedlings even without adding anything to it.

Whats up mang. We use Miracle-Gro that feeds plants up to 3 months and it works fine. But you have to be very careful when using any nutes. If you want a great soil i would go with Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil. Here is a link where you can get it. If ya dont feel like buying over the net ya might wanna check a local hydro store or something. http://cgi.ebay.com/Fox-Farm-Ocean-Forest-Soil-Grow-Hydroponics-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ120071288060QQihZ002QQcategoryZ43555QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

wow TBG free shipping, i like that place! its not often you find a seller on ebay offering free shipping, pretty sweet!

hey TBG since your experienced with MG soil, do you think it would be best for us newbies to just use the MG and only water until we get the hang of things, then move up to the nuetral soil and mixing nutes ourselves?

cyberquest said:
hey TBG since your experienced with MG soil, do you think it would be best for us newbies to just use the MG and only water until we get the hang of things, then move up to the nuetral soil and mixing nutes ourselves?
It's really hard to say man. Some people just can't grow with it at all but for some reason we have great results with it. The only thing i can say is give it a try. ;)

oh i am cause its about all i can find :) the one i got now in flower is knee deep in MG soil, shes a trooper! so far so good, the seedlings dont like it but i am gonna order some perlite to mix in it, and see if that helps.

do you use yours straight or mix it?

Well...I use various mixes, but if you want a very basic one that is safe for seedlings too:

2 part Fox Farm Ocean Forest
1 part Fox Farm Light Warrior
1 part big perlite
1 part earthworm casings

for every gallon add:

3 tsp dolomitic or prilled lime

My mixes get a little complicated after that, though...especially flowering.

cyberquest said:
oh i am cause its about all i can find :) the one i got now in flower is knee deep in MG soil, shes a trooper! so far so good, the seedlings dont like it but i am gonna order some perlite to mix in it, and see if that helps.

do you use yours straight or mix it?
We use 1 gallon pots and mix one 16 oz. cup of perlite to it.

thanks TBG, i found some perlite at lowes yesterday but guess who made it:rolleyes: good old MG, and guess what it was packed with, N !

Tbg What Do You Think About Black Gold

cyberquest said:
thanks TBG, i found some perlite at lowes yesterday but guess who made it:rolleyes: good old MG, and guess what it was packed with, N !
You don't want that man you want the regular perlite. You can get it at Wal-Mart. ;)

brouli said:
Tbg What Do You Think About Black Gold
Sorry have never used it before but i have seen other members use it.

Latest posts

Back