Which strain for pain?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana' started by 2RedEyes, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Dec 13, 2016 #1

2RedEyes

2RedEyes

2RedEyes

Something clever...

Retired
    My wife has had serious back pain for quite some time, she takes at least 3 or 4 Norcos a day and often more. I'm trying to find a strain of weed that will help her. She also has trouble getting or staying asleep. She has tried some stuff from a med/pot dispensary here in Cali but could never get the right dosage for a good result. Right off the bat she got couch locked and absolutely hated it. I think that was from an edible. Anyway, we need something to help the pain but not render her incapacitated. Hopefully something that will not add to the paranoia but will just make her feel good. So my question is which strain would be good for her. I'm guessing one of the hybrids leaning a little on the Indica side but maybe right in the middle. It will also be an indoor grow in a small space so something that is not too tall. I'm hoping to start with a space bucket that I have already built using about 150 watts of cfl's and some small fans for air movement. If I find a strain that does the job, then I'll expand a bit for more production.
    Thanks for your insight and advice!

2. Dec 13, 2016 #2

Lesso

Lesso

Lesso

Mad Scientist

Shark shock cbd......look for cbd heavy strains.

3. Dec 13, 2016 #3

Grower13

Grower13

Grower13

4. Dec 13, 2016 #4

WeedHopper

WeedHopper

WeedHopper

Read this: One of the three strains Rose uses and its awesome for pain.(Harlequin)

http://nationalpainreport.com/the-strongest-weed-for-pain-relief-8829307.html

Let’s take a look at the top 3 strains of weed for pain.

1. ACDC

If doctors have to choose one strain that is the most effective at helping a patient with pain, it is definitely ACDC. This strain has high amounts of both THC and CBD. A hybrid, this strain will provide the user with:

Relaxation
    Intense focus
    Slight energy increase
    Slight your euphoric feeling
    Happiness
    You won’t become a couch potato after taking this strain, but you also won’t have the immense uplifting effect of a sativa-dominant strain either.

2. Blackberry Kush

Anyone that is having severe pain should seek a strain of marijuana that is high in THC. Sometimes, you want to take your mind off of the pain and simply numb the body. This is exactly what Blackberry Kush provides to you.

You’ll feel:

Lazy and relaxed
    A euphoric high
    Sleepy
    Happy
    Creative
    You definitely don’t want to take Blackberry Kush if you have to go to work or school, but you do want to take it if you have severe pain.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin is the ideal strain of marijuana if you have an injury or disease that causes inflammation. A good example of this is arthritis. What makes this strain so special is that as a high CBD content.

You’ll notice an immediate euphoric a feeling, while also being focused and uplifted.

Euphoria will come over you, and you’ll have a clear mind that allows you to stay focused. I would recommend this strain of marijuana for anyone who has school, work or needs to stay focused for any reason.

5. Dec 13, 2016 #5

Rosebud

Rosebud

Rosebud

Organic dirt farmer Staff Member Admin Moderator

I agree w/ WH. Start her out on a Harlequin or a harley hybrid.. It is amazing for relaxing muscles. I love a sativa for pain in the morining.. but it may cause paranoia in some folks. La confidential is an indica that works for night time pain. it will put you to sleep if grow to amber.

6. Dec 13, 2016 #6

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

Granny Mod Staff Member Admin

The cannabinoid CBD is good for treating pain, so like lesso said, look for strains that are high in CBDs. However as your wife is not into couch lock, I would look for something sativa dominant to keep that couch lock feeling away, maybe a 60/40. Shark Shock is 80% indica and will most likely be a couch lock strain, as will any indica dominant strain.

If you have access to a dispensary, I would encourage you to try a few CBD strains to find one that suits your wife and then grow that strain. This is about a 4 month process from seed to harvest, so it would behoove you to grow a strain that you know helps the wife, rather than guessing and spending 4 months on something she does not like.

I think you might want to try something other than edibles. Edibles can hit some people harder than other methods of intake, especially as it is easy to overdo. You might consider a vape pen and some liquid with high CBDs, if she is adverse to smoking bud. You can generally get the cartridges for $25-60 (depending on size and strain). And then it is also easy to just smoke as much as you need. I am quite happy with the vape liquids I have purchased at the dispensaries and am working to perfect my own.

I am not sure what a space bucket is, but unfortunately, you are not going to be able to grow anything decent with only 150w of CFL light. If you are serious about growing yourself, I think you should do some reading on setting up a grow space. Your yield is directly affected by your lighting. You also need to be able to provide a space that you can keep dark (completely 100% dark) 12 hours a day. A small tent might be the answer for you. You are going to need more/better light to get a decent yield though. CFLs just put off so much less light per watt of electricity than some other lighting sources that it makes them expensive to use and they just underperform in every way. Look into T5 fluorescent tube light fixtures. If you cannot run HID lighting, IMO, this is probably your next best option. T5s are what a lot of us use to veg with, then transition to high pressure sodium for flowering. Good LEDs are very very expensive and out of range of many growers.

I know several people that have been able to curb their opiate use with cannabis. I hope that you can find something that works for your wife.

7. Dec 14, 2016 #7

2RedEyes

2RedEyes

2RedEyes

Something clever...

Retired
    Thanks for all your input, I will do some surfing on leafy to check out you suggestions.
    A spacebucket is simple a 5 or 6 gallon bucket that can be added to in height by adding more sections. Lights are built into the top sectio and possibly he lid and fans can be mounted to intake and exhaust. Pretty much limited to a single plant per but small enough to easily keep hidden.
    This is not mine but you get the idea.... mine has 6 cfl's and a couple of fans for moving air as well as a thermo/hygrometer for keeping track of temp and humidity.

IMG_0682.jpg

8. Jun 13, 2019 #8

cjig

cjig

cjig

You can instead use CBD products to alleviate the pain. According to researches, cbd oil may help alleviate pains such as chronic back pain and joint pains.