White House Response to Petition to Legalize Marijuana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getnasty

Reaction score
Petition Response: What We Have to Say About Legalizing Marijuana
The White House - info at messages dot whitehouse dot gov

What We Have to Say About Legalizing Marijuana
By Gil Kerlikowske, Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy

When the President took office, he directed all of his policymakers to develop policies based on science and research, not ideology or politics. So our concern about marijuana is based on what the science tells us about the drug's effects.

According to scientists at the National Institutes of Health- the world's largest source of drug abuse research - marijuana use is associated with addiction, respiratory disease, and cognitive impairment. We know from an array of treatment admission information and Federal data that marijuana use is a significant source for voluntary drug treatment admissions and visits to emergency rooms. Studies also reveal that marijuana potency has almost tripled over the past 20 years, raising serious concerns about what this means for public health – especially among young people who use the drug because research shows their brains continue to develop well into their 20's. Simply put, it is not a benign drug.

Like many, we are interested in the potential marijuana may have in providing relief to individuals diagnosed with certain serious illnesses. That is why we ardently support ongoing research into determining what components of the marijuana plant can be used as medicine. To date, however, neither the FDA nor the Institute of Medicine have found smoked marijuana to meet the modern standard for safe or effective medicine for any condition.

As a former police chief, I recognize we are not going to arrest our way out of the problem. We also recognize that legalizing marijuana would not provide the answer to any of the health, social, youth education, criminal justice, and community quality of life challenges associated with drug use.
That is why the President's National Drug Control Strategy is balanced and comprehensive, emphasizing prevention and treatment while at the same time supporting innovative law enforcement efforts that protect public safety and disrupt the supply of drugs entering our communities. Preventing drug use is the most cost-effective way to reduce drug use and its consequences in America. And, as we've seen in our work through community coalitions across the country, this approach works in making communities healthier and safer. We're also focused on expanding access to drug treatment for addicts. Treatment works. In fact, millions of Americans are in successful recovery for drug and alcoholism today. And through our work with innovative drug courts across the Nation, we are improving our criminal justice system to divert non-violent offenders into treatment.

Our commitment to a balanced approach to drug control is real. This last fiscal year alone, the Federal Government spent over $10 billion on drug education and treatment programs compared to just over $9 billion on drug related law enforcement in the U.S.

Thank you for making your voice heard. I encourage you to take a moment to read about the President's approach to drug control to learn more.

-nasty

We know from an array of treatment admission information and Federal data that marijuana use is a significant source for voluntary drug treatment admissions and visits to emergency rooms.

Yeah, I've heard of dozens of times when my friends and other local addicts smoke far too much and end up heading to the hospital....can't believe I've been so lucky as not to need to go a few times myself! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :holysheep:

"When the President took office, he directed all of his policymakers to develop policies based on science and research, not ideology or politics. So our concern about marijuana is based on what the science tells us about the drug's effects."

So, they don't base their policymaking on ideology or politics but they do accept large donations.

That statement is SO full of crap its amazing they could type it with a straight face.

Pot is a "significant source for voluntary drug treatment admissions and visits to emergency rooms" - huh? I must have missed that in the statistics for ER visits. Confused them with flu victims maybe? How absurd. In CDC statistics, marijuana is not even mentioned in their numbers of people seeking ER teatment: hxxp://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/ervisits.htm

To say "We're also focused on expanding access to drug treatment for addicts. Treatment works." is just plain silly. Average success rates for addiction treament for ANY addiction (including hoarding and other OCD ailments, sex addiction, alcohol, etc) run about 20%. Normally if something failed 80% of the time folks would say its a failure.

Have to guess that 'former police chiefs' like this guy are not bothered too much by honesty and/or reality. They just make up stuff and ride the coat tails of the drug abuse treatment lobby, who makes billions of dollars from "treating" addictions - and failing 8 times out of 10.

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
That statement is SO full of crap its amazing they could type it with a straight face.

Pot is a "significant source for voluntary drug treatment admissions and visits to emergency rooms" - huh? I must have missed that in the statistics for ER visits. Confused them with flu victims maybe? How absurd. In CDC statistics, marijuana is not even mentioned in their numbers of people seeking ER teatment: hxxp://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/ervisits.htm

To say "We're also focused on expanding access to drug treatment for addicts. Treatment works." is just plain silly. Average success rates for addiction treament for ANY addiction (including hoarding and other OCD ailments, sex addiction, alcohol, etc) run about 20%. Normally if something failed 80% of the time folks would say its a failure.

Have to guess that 'former police chiefs' like this guy are not bothered too much by honesty and/or reality. They just make up stuff and ride the coat tails of the drug abuse treatment lobby, who makes billions of dollars from "treating" addictions - and failing 8 times out of 10.

Well put bro....:goodposting:

Id like to print a copy of that statement to wipe with.

Guess I'm just lucky. In 40 years of smoking weed, I've never od'd, or been hospitalized for over consumption. Never known anyone else to, either.

Seriously! We have all, whether some won't admit to it, at one time laid in bed with the spins after smoking. Usually moreso when drinking, then smoking. But not once have I, or anyone I know gone to the emergency room. That's just ridiculous.....

We know from an array of treatment admission information and Federal data that marijuana use is a significant source for voluntary drug treatment admissions and visits to emergency rooms. Studies also reveal that marijuana potency has almost tripled over the past 20 years,:rofl:

i want to learn to grow some of that "ER" weed---kinda why i am here---sad but true of the crappy weed we were smoking 20 years ago---thank god for MARP---:icon_smile:

:confused2: Anyone know why these people talking and someone farting smells the same?

michigan spent more than the feds on arrests?:eek: :eek: :eek:

orangesunshine said:
We know from an array of treatment admission information and Federal data that marijuana use is a significant source for voluntary drug treatment admissions and visits to emergency rooms. Studies also reveal that marijuana potency has almost tripled over the past 20 years,:rofl:

i want to learn to grow some of that "ER" weed---kinda why i am here---sad but true of the crappy weed we were smoking 20 years ago---thank god for MARP---:icon_smile:
Hahaha, reminded me of:
"Remember that **** I gave you last week nigga? It's nothin nigga, it's nothin, it's nothin nigga, nigga it's nothin. This **** right here, nigga! This **** right here nigga, right here this **** nigga! This **** right here nigga!....This **** called deaf nigga!"
"That don't even sound attractive, you mean Ima hit it and die nigga?"
"Naw nigga, not death, nigga DEAF! You hit this **** twice, you can't hear nothin.
-Katt Williams

Yo Ho Ho N,

Come on guys, We all know that the evil devil weed is soooo addictive that it will grip your life and ruin the possibility that you too can become a narc, and live a just and free life living off of the rest of societies taxes that are pulled right out of our butts. It is the perfect plant to use in order to populate our prisons so a select few can make great coin. I mean the choices are, Live with your pain, and never say a word, Don't stand up to these few that would run us all into debtors prison.
Wait a minute, is that a young couple in love sitting in the back of a chevy, making out and whoops a roach is in the ash tray, Huzzah, two more to add to the ranks of the worst kind of criminals.
I think maybe after my rant, I will make sure to tell at least 5 kids that they too can grow up to be a jerk, and make a ton of money by screwing peoples lives, and then the icing would be to get into politics where you can retire full pay after only one term.
Damn, when will we all stand tall together. I'm here, count me in the ranks of the worst. I smoke to to have a life outside of my illness, and to squelch at least the rough of the pain. It doesn't get rid of it all, but is certainly better than the poisonous drugs the Dr's want to give out like candy.
Thanks for being patient with me while I'm up on my soap box, but damn it, I have seen this crap for too many years of my life, and I am one of the older guys here.
I'm off to burn one just to pull my thoughts together. Wake and Bake time, and screw you obama.

smoke in peace
KK:cool2:

Latest posts

Back