White Spots?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrEkkED

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a grow of AK47 and bluewidow going at the moment. They are two weeks old and some are showing a few white spots. I'm only using a 4' 2 bulb 32 watt fluro so I have it pretty close to the tops of the plants. Any ideas?

WrEkkED said:
Hey guys, I have a grow of AK47 and bluewidow going at the moment. They are two weeks old and some are showing a few white spots. I'm only using a 4' 2 bulb 32 watt fluro so I have it pretty close to the tops of the plants. Any ideas?

Any chance of getting us a pic to look at? I will look thru my Marijuna Garden Saver iBook and see what I can find out for you.

From what I found spider mites are one possibility...I have been lucky enough to never have them but apparently they are a very big and very common problem with cannabis.
Hopefully a pic or two can help us tell if that is the cause or not.

Thrip damage...

p_thrips_damage_on_cannabis_plants_1.jpg

It looks almost like the picture you put up first, except there isn't nearly as many. Only two of them have these spots.

going to try and get another picture with a better camera if i can find it.

Do you have an eye loop? Is there black tiny **** on the underside of the leaves?

No, nothing on the other side. Looks totally healthy. nice and green. The white spots look like it lost its chlorophil or whatever it is. Almost like my cactus goes white if I don't spin it in the window to get sun on all sides.

Or could it be that the light burnt the leaves slightly?

WrEkkED said:
Or could it be that the light burnt the leaves slightly?

No, I am sure on that one.

Because of the size of the plant, I think you have an unwelcomed guest of sorts. It is possible that the culprits are living in your medium. I know Thrips like to spend some quality time in the soil.
What kind of soil are you using and where did you get it?
In the picture you showed us, I see a lot of ... undigested plant material and other stuff I can't identify. It is possible something hitchhiked in with it.

It's miracle grow organic Choice Garden Soil. It's sopposed to be mixed in with your soil but a bunch of people told me it's great for starting any type of vegtable or fruit in a potting container. Just have to watch the water really well because it dries out quickly.

Would you suggest spraying them with an organic pesticide?

What is good for veggies or fruit is not necessarily good for MJ. I see that the soil is prenuted and I believe that this is at least part of your problem. Seedlings do not really want or need any food for the first several weeks. You have no control whatsoever over the nutrients your plants are getting. Every time you water, nutrients are released. What exactly is in your soil mixture? Your soil also looks like of coarse and barky--did you add anything to aid in drainage like perlite?

No, do not spray with a pesticide. Do not use any pesticides unless you KNOW that you have a pest problem and then get a pesticide for the particular pest that you have.

I didn't add anything to the mixture. It has a soil mixed in it already. It just so happens to have alot of organic material in it also. I picked this soil because I have found that whenever something works with tomatos it works with mj. Also, when these are planted they will be in this type of a soil outside. The drainage is very good with this soil, probably too much so. The nutes shouldn't be bad in the sense of too much seeing as if they were planted outside from seedlings they would get the same.

Edit: it also seemed like it would be really airy but when i watered the soil before planting it compacted very nice. I'm not sure why all the big wood chips ended up on top, but underneath isn't so bad. The wood chips are much smaller.

Would the acidity level do that if it were high? I only see white on my 3 best growers, the middle one is doing good and no white and the two runts (popped 2 days after) no white, but one has a red stem so i gave her just a touch of epsom salts.

WrEkkED said:
I didn't add anything to the mixture. It has a soil mixed in it already. It just so happens to have alot of organic material in it also. I picked this soil because I have found that whenever something works with tomatos it works with mj. Also, when these are planted they will be in this type of a soil outside. The drainage is very good with this soil, probably too much so. The nutes shouldn't be bad in the sense of too much seeing as if they were planted outside from seedlings they would get the same.

Edit: it also seemed like it would be really airy but when i watered the soil before planting it compacted very nice. I'm not sure why all the big wood chips ended up on top, but underneath isn't so bad. The wood chips are much smaller.

HG tried to give you some good advise, LISTEN...
Miracle Grow is not good for young mj plants period, in or outdoors. It doesn't matter about tomatos because mj is not a tomato! Use a soil with no nutes. The white spots are not from the light, they would turn yellow and brown on the edges first if light was the problem. Most likely mites. Bugs suck out the juices/chlorophyll from the leaf and leave a white spot behind. Mites are very small, hardly see them with the naked eye. Look at the underside of your leaves with a loop or magnifing glass to see... get better soil... :)

WrEkkED said:
.... I picked this soil because I have found that whenever something works with tomatos it works with mj....

This is really not true at all--tomatoes have their own needs and they are quite different from MJ.

Compacted soil is not good. You want it airy as the roots need oxygen.

The soil still is light and airy but I thought it was WAY too airy. I was concerned it would even support the plant it was that soft. Then after watering it compacted but is still airy. If i press on it the whole thing moves down about half an inch.

Either way, how do I transplant them without bringing some of the old soil around the roots with it? They are going to be transplanted next weekend if that's too long for them to wait?

I have no doubt it could be a bug of some sort seeing as I just found mushrooms starting to grow lol Probably came right out of the forest. The original plant I took the picture of is clearing up, but another one is looking a bit worse.

Latest posts

Back