White Widow Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone provide me with their wisdom on how to top a plant? This is our 3rd grow, and I've never topped a plant before. I get the main jist of it, but I'm not sure where it is I should cut at, or how deep, or any of that stuff. So, if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it!

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396

Look under the "Plant Training" section.

You may want to consider the FIM technic. It's very similar with same results; I've heard it's less stressful then topping. Browse both links and see which you want to do.

Your plant looks so darn healthy you could probably do anything to it and it'll be fine ;).

Good luck :)

Thanks a bunch Peace!

I did read that you should only top during veg. stage. My plant is in day 2 of flowering, would it still be ok to top, or should I just let it go without topping it? Any advice will be appreciated!

bigbudz said:
Can anyone provide me with their wisdom on how to top a plant? This is our 3rd grow, and I've never topped a plant before. I get the main jist of it, but I'm not sure where it is I should cut at, or how deep, or any of that stuff. So, if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it!

at the very top of the plant when you see the two new nodes poking out, right underneath it you see the stem that is going to be pushing the nodes out and letting them branch, you cut the little stem that is pushing the two new nodes right beneath the leaves. Here is a picture to give you an idea.

2d1ol5h.jpg

bigbudz said:
Thanks a bunch Peace!

I did read that you should only top during veg. stage. My plant is in day 2 of flowering, would it still be ok to top, or should I just let it go without topping it? Any advice will be appreciated!

Hi bigbudz,

Thats a good question... I want to tell you to top it since it's only day 2, however I've never topped after the vegging time.
Hopefully someone will chime in with good advice, who may have done this before.

If you get no replies soon, then I would just leave it be rather than possibly messing things up.

I decided to take some pics of my plant since it's in flowering, hoping to be able to see some kind of difference in it. None yet, however, while taking pics, I did notice something quite odd on my plant. Where the main stalk is supposed to be... there's just a stump. It has 2 side shoots coming out of it, but the stalk itself is just stunted it seems. Anyways, heres a few pics from today, the last one is a pic of the main stalk that I'm talking about. Let me know what you guys think could be going on with it, cause I've never seen anything like it. :confused:

WW 002.JPG

WW 006.JPG

WW 007.JPG

WW 010.JPG

WW 012.JPG

WW 004.JPG

was it outside at an earlier stage?, it looks as if it was topped some time ago. looking good dude.:hubba: ...

No, I've beeng growing it hydroponically since it was germinated from the seed. I have no clue what caused it and if it's even worth worrying about or trying to fix. I haven't topped it at all, but am hoping to do so tomorrow, just waitin on feedback about topping during flowering. I'm hopin since I've only had it in flowering for 36 hours that it'll still be ok to top at this stage.

DomsChron said:
Do not top during flower LOL! Only veg...unless you want hermie weed that is.

Thanks Dom:) I guess I'll save my first topping session for the clones!

No problem man. Yes, it will work on clones. Make sure you wait until like exactly week 2 THEN cut the top off.

Ty Gotmoun and KGB!

I'll be doing an update later today with pics when the lights come on. My baby is lovin this HPS light. It's grown quite a few inches in the short time it's been in there.

Quick question though, would it make my plant hermie if I removed some of the upper fan leaves so the bottom part of the plant can get some light??

Stressing is changing temps,over watering,over feeding,trimming which all will cause you to hermie or have more males...

I will wait for your update.... Good morning buddie have a wonderful weekend..

Here we are 6 days into flowering... Right now my plant is 23 inches tall and is getting bushier every day. I am having some problems with some of the bottom leaves turning brown, but other than that, things look awesome! Any ideas what could be causing the leaves to turn brown? Still no signs of sex, but hoping there will be here soon. My husband bought feminized seeds, not sure if they actually are guaranteed female or not, but heres to hopin! Also wanted to give an update on the 2 clones I took before I put it into flowering. One of them didn't do so well, and kinda puckered out on me. But the other has new growth and has sprouted some roots already, so I'm very hopeful about that one. Anyhow, here's some pics of my baby today, and also some pics of the clone that's thriving! Enjoy!!:woohoo:

Flowering 6d 006.JPG

Flowering 6d 007.JPG

Flowering 6d 008.JPG

Flowering 6d 001.JPG

Flowering 6d 002.JPG

Decided to go ahead and lower it a little bit from the light. It was about 6 inches from the light so I figured I'd better lower it some. I'm impressed with how much it's grown in just a short amount of time. It's a week into flowering now, and has grown nearly 7 inches.

Ya it's fun watching them grow... I was looking back at my plants when they where sprout & man they sure have grown up... Plants are looking good...

What the soil temp at? I would check that might be your problem .

They are looking good.. Well good night...

Latest posts

Back