White Widow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoseyWales

I reckon so.
Reaction score
I live in the North East and thinking of growing White Widow feminized seed outside. I'm going to use a 20 gallon pot with soil. I'm just looking for constructive talk or opinions. thanks up front.

Whupped 'em again, Josey !!
White Widow is a great strain but it can be touchy, it doesn't like a lot of nutrients, which is a good thing.
What are you going to use for soil? I do a 50/50 Fox Farms Strawberry Fields and coco mix, it seems to be a winner.
Growing outside in the N.E. can be a ***** but we also produce some of the best smoke anywhere, I prefer a Kush for outdoors here in Vermont, it seems to enjoy our season.
Good luck and happy growing!

Whupped 'em again, Josey !!
White Widow is a great strain but it can be touchy, it doesn't like a lot of nutrients, which is a good thing.
What are you going to use for soil? I do a 50/50 Fox Farms Strawberry Fields and coco mix, it seems to be a winner.
Growing outside in the N.E. can be a ***** but we also produce some of the best smoke anywhere, I prefer a Kush for outdoors here in Vermont, it seems to enjoy our season.
Good luck and happy growing!
I got the gold right here pa. Thank you for the reply. I always used Fox Farm Oceanic potting soil, a lot of people use coco. What is the benefit using coco? Very important when would you put your plants outside? Last year we were outside at the end of may, this year i would like to be outside last week in April.
Thanks up front

If you are in the north and put your plants outside that early, they will probably start flowering....then go back to veg...and then go back to flowering. Unlike what you might think, it is not good to put them outdoors too soon. That flowering/revegging/flowering is stressful on the plant and can affect yield. I think the end of May is a good time.

I make up an organic super soil for all my plants. While I don't know if it would be worth it for one plant, you could check online for super soil. I often see online where you can buy a bag of "concentrated super soil"--the nutrients all mixed up and then you add your own organic base soil and let it cook. I supplement with teas throughout the grow.

You didn't say what kind of pot you are using, but I recommend fabric pots and I wouldn't go any smaller than 20 gallons. I have gone to bigger pots every year. I got 50 gal and 80 gal fabric pots to use this year.

You might want to grow more than one strain.

If you are in the north and put your plants outside that early, they will probably start flowering....then go back to veg...and then go back to flowering. Unlike what you might think, it is not good to put them outdoors too soon. That flowering/revegging/flowering is stressful on the plant and can affect yield. I think the end of May is a good time.

I make up an organic super soil for all my plants. While I don't know if it would be worth it for one plant, you could check online for super soil. I often see online where you can buy a bag of "concentrated super soil"--the nutrients all mixed up and then you add your own organic base soil and let it cook. I supplement with teas throughout the grow.

You didn't say what kind of pot you are using, but I recommend fabric pots and I wouldn't go any smaller than 20 gallons. I have gone to bigger pots every year. I got 50 gal and 80 gal fabric pots to use this year.

Thank you for the reply, I try things in small steps, some times to many things going on I can get lost. Last year i grew Green Crack and had 5 plants in 5 gallon HD buckets plants were almost 8 ft. Each plant seemed to have a different problem this year i was thinking going to use either a 15 or 20 gallon pot i will try a bag for sure. I will look at concentrated super soil. you mentioned that you would blend the super soil with base soil and let it cook. Do you mean you blend it and wait a bit before you use it? also you mentioned you supplement with teas throughout the grow, what are teas and how do you supplement?
Thanks up front.

microbeorganics.com
Thank you. been reading a bit, just so much i dont no, feel a little stupid. gonna be fun for sure. There is a big difference in adding nutrients every other day verses an organic soil with tea. I take it's important not to use tap water when you water your plants and make your tea, no chlorine.

Last edited:

Coast of Maine super soil is the best product i can fine locally i'm going to mix it and let it cook for 8 to 10 days and use a 30 gallon bag. I plan to layer the super soil, uncut on the bottom and a mix in the midle and regular soil with a small mix up top. Now i no i cant use tap water i have a brook out back should i still ck and adjust PH ?

That looks like a good super soil--lots of goodies in it.. However, it looks to me like it can be used straight from the bag without having to be "cooked" and it looks like it should be used full strength and not mixed with other soils, other than a 1" layer of potting soil on top. I always mulch my plants, too. I generally use straw, but there are quite a few different materials that can be used as mulch.

That looks like a good super soil--lots of goodies in it.. However, it looks to me like it can be used straight from the bag without having to be "cooked" and it looks like it should be used full strength and not mixed with other soils, other than a 1" layer of potting soil on top. I always mulch my plants, too. I generally use straw, but there are quite a few different materials that can be used as mulch.

Thanks, when i water how often should i use tea? Should i make it or use over the counter? lastly do i need to test and adjust the PH? Thank you.

I waited until today to put my 1st outdoor plant in the ground, it's been cold and rainy here in VT. If you plant when the ground is saturated the roots don't tend to go deep because they don't need to, then if you get a dry spell ...?? I did White Widow outdoors once, it grew nicely and tall, but as with most strains I did get a few mold spots before harvest time. Good luck !

I waited until today to put my 1st outdoor plant in the ground, it's been cold and rainy here in VT. If you plant when the ground is saturated the roots don't tend to go deep because they don't need to, then if you get a dry spell ...?? I did White Widow outdoors once, it grew nicely and tall, but as with most strains I did get a few mold spots before harvest time. Good luck !

Thanks i haven't put my plant out yet but will do so this week. Mold is an issue with all is it not? Even in my tent i'm contently looking for mold.

Mold and bud rot not to mention bugs. I’ve grown outside a couple of times(I am in central Massachusetts) and did not find it as enjoyable as growing inside. Spider mites and caterpillars were a battle from the get go then late Sept and Oct were pretty wet and dreary bringing with it the mold and bud rot. However, a lot of folks on here do well with it. I hope your grow goes well...

Mold and bud rot not to mention bugs. I’ve grown outside a couple of times(I am in central Massachusetts) and did not find it as enjoyable as growing inside. Spider mites and caterpillars were a battle from the get go then late Sept and Oct were pretty wet and dreary bringing with it the mold and bud rot. However, a lot of folks on here do well with it. I hope your grow goes well...

Thank you

Thank you
Josey, you should go buy a nice big grow bag, say 25 gallons and not put it in the ground at all.
The roots love the aeration they get, you can feed it more often and best of all, you can bring it indoors or put it under cover if we get a wet fall.
I think actually planting in the ground is going to be pretty much phased out by most of us, the higher quality fabric bags are good for at least 2 or 3 seasons, they're a wonderful thing.
Good luck, Josey.

Josey, you should go buy a nice big grow bag, say 25 gallons and not put it in the ground at all.
The roots love the aeration they get, you can feed it more often and best of all, you can bring it indoors or put it under cover if we get a wet fall.
I think actually planting in the ground is going to be pretty much phased out by most of us, the higher quality fabric bags are good for at least 2 or 3 seasons, they're a wonderful thing.
Good luck, Josey.

That's my plan. I have a 20 gal bag and gonna use coast of Maine super-soil. My bag will be on 4 wheel dolly so i can move it around i also have green wire mesh fencing to help keep the plant from getting hurt. I have good sun on my deck all day. I grew 3 plants last summer in plastic 5 gal home depot buckets just drilled some drain holes real cheap. But this year i want to try Super soil and tea. Should i adjust the PH and cover the plant when it rains out.

That's my plan. I have a 20 gal bag and gonna use coast of Maine super-soil. My bag will be on 4 wheel dolly so i can move it around i also have green wire mesh fencing to help keep the plant from getting hurt. I have good sun on my deck all day. I grew 3 plants last summer in plastic 5 gal home depot buckets just drilled some drain holes real cheap. But this year i want to try Super soil and tea. Should i adjust the PH and cover the plant when it rains out.
We let nature do its thing unless there are violent storms coming, then we try to cover them as best we can, when you add water and nutrients this summer make sure the ph is right and if you only have one or two I would test the soil often and get the ph and everything as good as you could.

We let nature do its thing unless there are violent storms coming, then we try to cover them as best we can, when you add water and nutrients this summer make sure the ph is right and if you only have one or two I would test the soil often and get the ph and everything as good as you could.

OK thanks

Latest posts

Back