Who else runs their plants really dry during flower?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonnieB

Reaction score
Im sure its not new, but i got the idea from fine wine vineyards. They make the conditions less favorable for the plants producing fruits. By letting them dry out. Not wilted dry but close. This forces the vines to work harder on their fruit. The end result is better, more concentrated higher brix grapes. This is science, its been proven. So i decided to try it. I must say. Im seeing more frost, firmer more dense buds.

I haven’t tried it, but it makes sense. I know you generally need a lot more of the dry time than feels intuitive in the wet/dry cycle.

I haven’t tried it, but it makes sense. I know you generally need a lot more of the dry time than feels intuitive in the wet/dry cycle.
If you think about it a plant has one goal in its lifespan. Reproduce and it makes sense logically if the plant feels threatened, that it would pour a remaining energy into the buds

Heres a few buds from this experiment. They're not 9 weeks old yet

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201024-141216_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201024-141216_Samsung Internet.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20201021_164940.jpg
    20201021_164940.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201021_164842.jpg
    20201021_164842.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 19
I can't argue with your results but stressing a plant through the entire flowering cycle? Keeping them on the edge of water starvation would be risky for me. I would get loaded or distracted and miss a diluted water cycle and kill everything. Good luck with the experiment and maybe this will make you famous.

Wine grape vines aren't cannabis though. In the grapes it will effect the taste of the grapes, which is a distinguishing factor for wines, high brix just means high sugars.

I would say there are advantages and disadvantages of doing that but the biggest concern would be salt pockets in the dry soil. The technique is a means of stressing the plant which induces it to try and finish strong because it thinks it is near the end. Water stress and the plants desire to live can also potentially lead to herms. I think you'll be fine though, would be interesting to do an A & B side by side with the same strain.

I have heard of this in the final weeks of flowering though But thats also when I flush and the soil is always pretty moist then.

They're not starving for water lol. Just on the dry side. My method is. Water every 3-4 days until flower. Then i push it out to 6-8 days in 5 gallon pots. Mild temps. So they never get bone dry. But it is enough to get their attention i guesd

Wine grape vines aren't cannabis though. In the grapes it will effect the taste of the grapes, which is a distinguishing factor for wines, high brix just means high sugars.

I would say there are advantages and disadvantages of doing that but the biggest concern would be salt pockets in the dry soil. The technique is a means of stressing the plant which induces it to try and finish strong because it thinks it is near the end. Water stress and the plants desire to live can also potentially lead to herms. I think you'll be fine though, would be interesting to do an A & B side by side with the same strain.

I have heard of this in the final weeks of flowering though But thats also when I flush and the soil is always pretty moist then.
I hts my autos by topping them and they never slow down. Plants are more resilient than people realize

Cannabis flowers are designed by nature to grow in harsh conditions, compared to regular plants

Chad is totally correct on the water/grapes ratio. I never water my grapes no matter how dry of a year it is. My plants must be much larger than yours in my tent. They are dry as a bone after 3 days in 5 gal pots. Harsh conditions maybe but dead is dead. For me anyway. We all grow differently but I wouldn't advise this unless you are very careful.

Chad is totally correct on the water/grapes ratio. I never water my grapes no matter how dry of a year it is. My plants must be much larger than yours in my tent. They are dry as a bone after 3 days in 5 gal pots. Harsh conditions maybe but dead is dead. For me anyway. We all grow differently but I wouldn't advise this unless you are very careful.
What are u growing in? I grow in coco loco 5 gallon. And they still a little damn after 3

Coco you don't want to let get too dry, it throws of the EC in the medium.

Coco you don't want to let get too dry, it throws of the EC in the medium.
Pure coco is supposed to be watered daily. That would drive me crazy. Coco loco. Grows like coco treat it like soil

Cannabis flowers are designed by nature to grow in harsh conditions, compared to regular plants
True, some strains are definitely more rugged than others. More resistant to insects and molds too.

They're not starving for water lol. Just on the dry side. My method is. Water every 3-4 days until flower. Then i push it out to 6-8 days in 5 gallon pots. Mild temps. So they never get bone dry. But it is enough to get their attention i guesd
At the end of the day, you're in front of the plants and reading them. They will let you know when they need a drink, for sure. 6-8 days sounds like a long time given the short window of flowering but if the plants are liking it, I wouldn't change a thing.

Actually Ronnie, you have opened up an interesting subject that I haven't seen. To answer your question. Smaller Indicas don't absorb most as much water/nutes as larger Sativas. Some Hybids are all over the board. I am in Sunshine #4 with 25% perlite and 1" perlite at both the top and bottom. I water/nute every 3 days and all are needful once they have reached the peak growth. I drench to 15% runoff and suck the tray dry after an hour or so. If I let the plants go and extra 8 hours they the upper fan leaves start to droop. I am talking from first hand experience and not what I have been told. I know nothing about coco but personally I think you are playing with fire.....just like over watering except the opposite.....

Thank you all for the great advice. My plants look to be very happy. Hopefully it stays that way lol.

Today. Watered them on Tuesday

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201024-141216_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201024-141216_Samsung Internet.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201021_164913.jpg
    20201021_164913.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 11
You know what Ronnie. We all have our own way of growing. I have never known anybody who did exactly what I do. At the end of the day.....it is a weed. If it works and you are satisfied with the end result then DO IT!!! Beautiful Plants.

You know what Ronnie. We all have our own way of growing. I have never known anybody who did exactly what I do. At the end of the day.....it is a weed. If it works and you are satisfied with the end result then DO IT!!! Beautiful Plants.
I honestly like experimenting. I am always trying stuff. One thing I don't get is yellow leaves lol

Latest posts

Back