Who else runs their plants really dry during flower?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not gonna do it now but moving a plant into 48 hrs of darkness and tomorrow I will show you a picture of yellow leaves. It is sat night, band hasn't even started at the local twist and shout and I am toast. By the way....we all experiment and the end result is DANK!

Here is that picture I promised last night....love the fade on this Strawberry OG....good smoke

IMG_20201025_090411248.jpg

it is called drought stress . Ideally at day 49 on a 9 week flowering plant. Water is withheld until a noticabke droop in the leaves and stems at max 11 days. Then feed as normal until harvest. The research behind it is very conclusive and positive if the conditions and strain are right. ideally strains that are used to dryer climates have the best result. The 11 days is a guide and it may be shorter if a visible droop to the right level happens before then I am just starting at day 49 and did a lat watering I never flushbin any medium any way but do imagine this is similar to stem splitting or other stressor in late flower . I already have very frost buds due to a new sp3000 light but this might give even more trich action. fingers crossed.
20201024_144258.jpg
20201024_143626.jpg
20201024_143513.jpg

Okay i found this. In short..
A study published in the May 2019 issue of HortScience, a publication of the American Society for Horticultural Science, investigated the effects of targeted underwatering, or controlled drought stress, on cannabinoid content and dry weight. The researchers hypothesized that controlled drought stress might allow growers to enhance the quality of their cannabis crops.

https://www.benzinga.com/markets/ca...duce-cannabis-plants-to-produce-more-cannabin

Interesting, but I think I will stay on the side walk. This morning after 3 days and my normal feed/water cycle my plants were dry and needed to be tended to. I guess this would work better for me if I went to 7 gal pots but I like my current results. So, good luck to anybody who wants to wander off the beaten path and try this.

I think you could probably just do what i normally do and have some of that benefit. I don't water sometimes untill i see a little droop anyway.

Good idea but that would create a schedule mess. So, I have to wait to water/feed until they are stressed to the point of drooping! What if I have to be someplace and get delayed? My days are full and I like to do my gardening in the morning and get it out of the way. I am a stubborn o'l fart. Why complicate things.

Yeah,,i don't grow like you do brother. Mine is all personal. I never grow over 4 plants at a time so its no big deal.

A study published in the May 2019 issue of HortScience, a publication of the American Society for Horticultural Science, investigated the effects of targeted underwatering, or controlled drought stress, on cannabinoid content and dry weight. The researchers hypothesized that controlled drought stress might allow growers to enhance the quality of their cannabis crops.

https://www.benzinga.com/markets/ca...duce-cannabis-plants-to-produce-more-cannabin
I'll be reading that shortly, thank you. One thing that jumps to the top of my head is the correlation between leaf surface temp and drought stress. I reviewed a paper by Bruce Bugabee about this exact topic. When plants are drought stressed, leaf surface temp rises tremendously. So I imagine to get the maximum benefit from this technique, there would need to be some consideration given to room temp / canopy temp / leaf surface temp.

This is one of the most longest running debates on every forum.
When to and when not to water.
Everyone has their own way of growing that works for them.
Which is cool.
Some people like to experiment.
Some people like to just argue and disagree with what has been posted.
Which is immature and ignorant.
But does make for a entertaining forum, sometimes.
For me personally, when I use to grow in soil. In flower I would wait in between waterings a day or two longer just for a little bit of added stress. I saw a very little increase in trichrome production. And NO damage to the plant.
Now I've been growing with areoponiics for years.
When I first started my on off times were like, every 5 minutes the roots got sprayed for a minute. And I had good results. But I had trouble improving on those results.
So every grow I started using different on off times. And started seeing better results.
It took me 5 years to find the sweet spot.
Now the roots just get sprayed seconds every 20 minutes. For very very good results.
So in this case less is way better.
But I must admit I didn't think about this till right now.
What's the difference if the roots are hanging in the air or sitting in soil. Roots are roots.
Oh no another experiment. LMFAO.
The thing is grow the way you like. But the most important thing is to enjoy what you grow.
Just remember there is ALWAYS room for improvement. No matter if it's a 10 percent or 50 percent improvement.
And remember nobody is telling you to try these things on these forums. They are just bringing up a conversation.
Just thought I would through in my 2 cents that's about all I got left at my age. Later.....

There are many ways to grow this plant. Most of them get the job done. When you try translating these topics to large legal grows, where little decisions make big dollar differences, that is where you find people get particular about the various aspects. I have done both and prefer the ability to experiment that personal growing can provide. Environmental differences are also going to be a factor of why one thing works great in Oregon but are shit in Colorado. This can explain different results for people too.

Interesting topic and great find on the article! I read it and in this study it definitely shows an increase in THC and CBD production from the plants put through the controlled drought conditions compared to the ones who were not. A pretty significant increase at that too.

“THC: 50% higher;
THCA: 43% higher;
CBD: 67% higher;
CBDA: 47% higher.”

One downside to this technique that they pointed out is that it’s a fine line between doing it correctly and over doing it and effecting your yield. Also strain dependent which means some trial and error would be needed to get it dialed in. Too bad they didn’t test the terpenes. I’d assume they increase also but it would be nice to see for sure.

i stay with Vapor pressure deficit.......i shoot for .8-1.1 in veg 1-1.4 early flower and 1.3-1.5 late flower, resulting in a similar effect as the op, VPD is the relationship between temp and %RH, an environment too wet, the girls stop drinking, too dry and the stoma close and they don't breathe, either extreme will slow or stop plant growth, causing what appears to be many other problems resulting in the grower chasing his proverbial tail............

Latest posts

Back