Who has the best deal on "Cool-Tubes" now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StoneyBud

I have to really do all I can to limit the heat in my new rooms. I use 400 watt HPS and need 6 "Cool-Tubes".

Who can tell me a great place to buy them? Cost and service after the sale are my two largest priorities after quality. PayPal is also a must.

Thanks for all replies!

I haven't had to order anything in a while. but HTGsupply has em for 100 bucks. paypal and an ebay store as well. I ordered ferts and stuff from em, they were straight up.
there was one other I bought a 250w HPS from but that was like 5 years ago...WTH was the name of that place. they had the best deals prior to HTG coming about. nothing but top spot reviews all over the forums for a while. I'll try to remember.

insidesun.com....but like i said that was over 5 yrs ago.
HTG was like a year ago.

Mutt said:
I haven't had to order anything in a while. but HTGsupply has em for 100 bucks. paypal and an ebay store as well. I ordered ferts and stuff from em, they were straight up.
there was one other I bought a 250w HPS from but that was like 5 years ago...WTH was the name of that place. they had the best deals prior to HTG coming about. nothing but top spot reviews all over the forums for a while. I'll try to remember.

Thanks Mutt, is that $100 per/reflector with no bulbs or ballast?

Seems pretty expensive.

Seems pretty expensive.
tempered glass is what your paying for. cylinders ain't cheap. You can find em on ebay cheaper too. The only time I would go with a cool tube is vert otherwise I'd just use an air cooled hood if horiz. just my 2cents.

what is the diameter of a 400w hps bulb?

you might be able to use a "bake around" pyrex and build one much cheaper. I know a MH won't fit in one LOL
my "bake-around" is 14"L x 3-1/2"diameter. Which I think the 400w eye hortilux HPS is like 9"lx2.25"d which you could build one for about 1/2 the cost. THG made a thread.

Mutt said:
tempered glass is what your paying for. cylinders ain't cheap. You can find em on ebay cheaper too. The only time I would go with a cool tube is vert otherwise I'd just use an air cooled hood if horiz. just my 2cents.

what is the diameter of a 400w hps bulb?

you might be able to use a "bake around" pyrex and build one much cheaper. I know a MH won't fit in one LOL
my "bake-around" is 14"L x 3-1/2"diameter. Which I think the 400w eye hortilux HPS is like 9"lx2.25"d which you could build one for about 1/2 the cost. THG made a thread.

I just reffered to them all as a "Cool Tube". I didn't know that was a brand name.

I won't be going vertical, so any air cooled hood will work.

Ive always used HTG with no problems. They actually just opened a store near my house so I dont have to order online anymore.

Mutt said:
what is the diameter of a 400w hps bulb?.

Do you mean a cooltube for a 400 watt bulb? Because 400w HPS bulbs are not round and have no diameter. My cooltube diameter for my 400 watt is 5 inches....which is odd, becauce the 600 watt cool tubes I have are 6 inches. They make standard 4" and 6" ducting, but not 5".

-SSF-

SensiStarFan said:
Do you mean a cooltube for a 400 watt bulb?

Yes. I use 3, 430 watt HPS in each flowering room. I want to put hoods on them that have air flowing through them.

96.70 free shipping on HTGsupply's ebay site....item number 120679063687. That is for a hood not a tube....the tube is cheaper around 80 bucks shipped....Item number 170621046190 from aquarium world off ebay.

Hamster Lewis said:
96.70 free shipping on HTGsupply's ebay site....item number 120679063687. That is for a hood not a tube....the tube is cheaper around 80 bucks shipped....Item number 170621046190 from aquarium world off ebay.

Thanks Hammy. I'll go check it out. I'm still deciding on how to lower the heat in my new flowering rooms.

SensiStarFan said:
Because 400w HPS bulbs are not round and have no diameter.
not round? they are elliptical in one direction so it would have multiple diameters at different points along the length. I was talking about the center of the bulb being the largest spot.
Don't think I ever seen a square HPS or MH.

Thanks folks. I now have an idea of the products and the costs. I don't have the money now, but will after a couple of months. The first couple crops will have to be done the old fashioned way with the door open during the lights-on half of the day.

Jeeeeez, I was hoping my first idea would have worked, but alas, first ideas seldom do.

I'll get there!

Mutt said:
not round? they are elliptical in one direction so it would have multiple diameters at different points along the length. I was talking about the center of the bulb being the largest spot.
Don't think I ever seen a square HPS or MH.

Ok now I got you. The 400HPS bulb I have is 2 inches across in the middle.
I got my extra 400 watt cool tube off of ebay. You can find them, the 5" diameter version, for $50 with cord and including shipping. You just need bulb and ballast. Hope that helps Stoney! This is the same as the one I purchased a while back because I already had the ballast and bulbs.
(Link will expire when sale on ebay ends)
hXXp://cgi.ebay.com/Cool-Tube-Reflector-Cool-Tube-HPS-MH-socket-included-/260760544242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb68a23f2

-SSF-

SensiStarFan said:
Ok now I got you. The 400HPS bulb I have is 2 inches across in the middle.
I got my extra 400 watt cool tube off of ebay. You can find them, the 5" diameter version, for $50 with cord and including shipping. You just need bulb and ballast. Hope that helps Stoney! This is the same as the one I purchased a while back because I already had the ballast and bulbs.
(Link will expire when sale on ebay ends)
hXXp://cgi.ebay.com/Cool-Tube-Reflector-Cool-Tube-HPS-MH-socket-included-/260760544242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb68a23f2

-SSF-

Thanks SSF! $150 per/room sounds pretty good. Twice as good as $300 per/room. heheheheehe

I've decided to buy 3 of the cool-tubes and dedicate a 500 cfm fan to them. It will draw from the cooled outer room and exhaust back into it on the other side of the room.

That, combined with the passive intake into the room part itself and the 500 cfm fan drawing air from the room, through the air filter and into the main room, will keep the flowering room nice and cool. (I hope)

Who has more than one cool tube daisy-chained with a 500 CFM fan?

How does it work for you?

EDIT: I'm thinking that this may make putting an A/C split inside the flowering room unnecessary. A single spit unit out in the main room would cool the entire area that way. That would save both operating costs and the initial costs of the double split unit.

StoneyBud said:
Who has more than one cool tube daisy-chained with a 500 CFM fan?

How does it work for you?

I use two 6" 600 watt cooltubes chained on one line with my 4" inline fan and carbon filter. Everything is run on 4" flexible ducting, the two 6" cool tubes are reduced from 6" to 4" for the ducting. Without my carbon filter my 4" inline fan pushes enough air through my two 600 HPS cooltubes that I can put my hand on the top of the cooltube. With the carbon filter hooked up it gets warmer, not enough to burn the plants, but hot enough you don't want to touch the top of the cooltube. Basically what I am saying is that I run two 600HPS cooltubes on a smaller cfm rated fan and have no temperature issues. As long as your seals are good and your ducting doesn't run for too long a distance I would say your fan is going to be more than enough to cool 3 400HPS.

-SSF-

SensiStarFan said:
I use two 6" 600 watt cooltubes chained on one line with my 4" inline fan and carbon filter. Everything is run on 4" flexible ducting, the two 6" cool tubes are reduced from 6" to 4" for the ducting. Without my carbon filter my 4" inline fan pushes enough air through my two 600 HPS cooltubes that I can put my hand on the top of the cooltube. With the carbon filter hooked up it gets warmer, not enough to burn the plants, but hot enough you don't want to touch the top of the cooltube. Basically what I am saying is that I run two 600HPS cooltubes on a smaller cfm rated fan and have no temperature issues. As long as your seals are good and your ducting doesn't run for too long a distance I would say your fan is going to be more than enough to cool 3 400HPS.

-SSF-

Thanks SensiStarFan. That makes me feel better about buying them. I'm buying 6.

I'll get the first three now and if they resolve the heat issue I'm having, then I'll get the second set.

Stoney make sure you use insulated duct works. That should also help with the heat.

Latest posts

Back