Why am I not showing sex yet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getnasty

Reaction score
I put a post up in the breeding section, but it was primarily to show novice growers out there, like myself, an easy way of identifying sex in your plants.

After looking at this particular article, and about 40 dozen other's over the last 2 weeks, I'm pretty sure neither of my bigger plants are showing sex yet! D: D: I'm almost 8 weeks into veg! 57 days! They should be showing sex already! :( What gives?

2012-04-10_16-07-11_106.jpg

2012-04-10_16-07-16_104.jpg

When I run up against stubborn plants I will usually flip them for a cpl days to get them to show. 8 weeks is a long time with no sex shown. Jmo

Wait pilgrem yuall sayin your still vegin and wonderin why they aint showin sex? Maybe Im the one broken partner but I thought plants only be to showin ther genitilia after yual do the flip to 12 12. I dont know hows to tell them part when they still all in veg maybe real good pros here can reckon just never to heres it before. Hope yual get educated in yur needs as I be interested in the answer yual get too. Luck trail walkin pilgrem.

BWD

Flip them asap.

I have been through this recently although not quite that long, just another reason i will be going back to running clones.

BackWoodsDrifter said:
Wait pilgrem yuall sayin your still vegin and wonderin why they aint showin sex? Maybe Im the one broken partner but I thought plants only be to showin ther genitilia after yual do the flip to 12 12. I dont know hows to tell them part when they still all in veg maybe real good pros here can reckon just never to heres it before. Hope yual get educated in yur needs as I be interested in the answer yual get too. Luck trail walkin pilgrem.

BWD

Alot of plants will show in 5-6 weeks of veg, but alot will take longer, but they will show in veg.

dman1234 said:
Alot of plants will show in 5-6 weeks of veg, but alot will take longer, but they will show in veg.

Please dman do tell how or what to be lookin fur in the veg state friend be interested to knows what to be lookin for fur sure makin the gettin rid of the males lot soon rather then wastin wooden nickels on raisen them.

BWD

Some will show pre-flowers BWD before the dark cycle is induced. Others need a little bump of 12/12. 8 weeks of veg you should have some monsters on your hands. Hope they are tied down well.

I've always had to flip my plants to get them to show sex, or maybe i'm just getting anxious and flipping them a bit too soon.

PartyBro420 said:
I've always had to flip my plants to get them to show sex, or maybe i'm just getting anxious and flipping them a bit too soon.

Yup be the only ways I ever donr. Flip 12 12 then few week later either male or female never known this before thanks dman will look to what you speak in time for next grow.

BWD

I think i am going to go plop in some seeds...i miss the suspense.

Why not just take a cut in a glass of water and put THAT in 12/12?

No need to stress the whole plant.

Wet

Here ya go BWD, take a look at these pictures. The white lines that I did a poor job of drawing is the pistel hairs that come out of the female calyxes. :)

preflowers for sexing.JPG

Wetdog said:
Why not just take a cut in a glass of water and put THAT in 12/12?

No need to stress the whole plant.

Wet

:yeahthat:

Hushpuppy said:
Here ya go BWD, take a look at these pictures. The white lines that I did a poor job of drawing is the pistel hairs that come out of the female calyxes. :)

Much thanks my friend but these things I see!!! But only after I flip to 12 12! I do not never see these things like balls and white hairs till the flip ever never before. No disrespect just confused guess?

BWD

Can't take a cut and put it in 12/12. I'm running 1 room. And thanks for the advice guys. Nouvelle, they aren't tied down at all. :( Probably not a smart idear. But I'm only going to have 2 big plants and perhaps 2-3 small clones.

You have alternating nodes, they are sexually mature. I say flip them. I have had strains that did not show until I put them in 12/12. At 8 weeks, it should not take them much time at all to start popping out those hairs or balls.

I'll be flipping them when we get the HPS. That does bring up another point though! I'm currently using a 400W MH. I'm upgrading for flowering to a 600W air-cooled HPS. We won't have that light until the 18th eat the earliest, so 1 week from today. Is it a bad idea to flip them over to 12/12 using the 400W MH, and then in 1 week, put the new light in there while the lights are supposed to be on? Would this have a bad impact on the flowering process?

getnasty said:
I'll be flipping them when we get the HPS. That does bring up another point though! I'm currently using a 400W MH. I'm upgrading for flowering to a 600W air-cooled HPS. We won't have that light until the 18th eat the earliest, so 1 week from today. Is it a bad idea to flip them over to 12/12 using the 400W MH, and then in 1 week, put the new light in there while the lights are supposed to be on? Would this have a bad impact on the flowering process?

won't hurt a thing..;) 'nasty
bwd.. I'm presently sexing some plants, on their 8th week from seed. I'll see how my camera skills are, and try to get some decent pic's of their 'pre-flowers'. Pre-flowers will generally show you their sexual identity somewhere between 6-10 weeks, under a veg friendly light cycle. Usually at the 4th or 5th node "IME"

Latest posts

Back