Why Are My Girls Doing This To Me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldgeezer

Reaction score
I am growing in a 50/50 peat moss perlite mix with 2 quarts of composted cow manure added to 5 gal of mix. It is the same mix that I have been using since starting year and half ago. I am using the Fox Farm soil fertilzer at one third streng for the last year. Had some problems such as getting to close to lights which are CFL for both flowering and veging. Teh veg part was going great until suddenly leafs started browing curling on some of the plants. From the pictures it is on any part of the plant. They are White Widow and Trainwreck grown from clones. The area is small so am using only quart size containers and keeping plants small and compact. Watering is being done on as needed schedule with nutes being used at every watering. PH is being adjusted from 7.2 down to 6.5. Temp does but not often get to 82 - 83 with the light on no light at night 68 degrees. The light are on 18 hrs so please what in the billy blue blazes is going on as well as how to correct don't want to loose my ladyes Thanks for your past help and I will be back

View attachment 2.bmp

View attachment 3.bmp

View attachment 4.bmp

looks like she is drowning..and do you use cal/mag in flower?

:48:

I am rather surprised that you have had success with that mixture. Peat moss is quite acidic. It is generally used as an amendment whose purpose is to hold water. Perlite is also an amendment generally used to add drainage.

How are you checking your pH? What strength nutes are you giving them? I really think that you need to be in pots larger than 1 qt.

I did not open the pictures....is there a reason that you did not post them directly here?

I thought that they were posted with the question and i am not to sure how to correct that problem the thing is every thing was going great until just very resent and only water when almost to the point that they would wilt. will try again on the pictures.

Image04232013191100.jpg

Image04232013191122.jpg

Image04232013191017.jpg

They don't look too bad. I am thinking that one of the problems is that the pots are too small for the size of the plant. How are you checking your pH?

Why aren't you running your lights 24/7?

That looks like a nutrient lock-out from PH not being correct. Or they just aren't getting all of the Phospherous, magnesium, and calcium that they need from the nutes that you are giving them.

If you want to stay soilless, I recommend getting some coco coir and mix it with pearlite at 3:1 coco:pearlite and then transplant them to 1-2gal pots. Then go to a constant feed with "hydro" nutes like GH or AN.

If you would like to stay more organic then get some good organic soil (and the pearlite and 1-2gal pots) and transplant. Then go to organic tea nutes.

If you don't have a lot of space then as soon as you get them straight, you need to switch them to flower as they will outgrow your space quickly. :)

If you look at the leaf tips???? notice how there cupping down and looking like what ? to me it looks like to nutrient toxicity ( the Claw )
i would say flush med 4 times its volume and on 4th flush mild nutrient mixture

This old feller will be happy to switch to a coco coir mix but from what I have read it is darn close in PH to what peat moss is. Addition information: I have been bring the water down to a PH of 6.5 from a 7.2 supply that I take from city water and hold in a tub with air input for at least one day. In checking the PH of the water runoff is 5.8 and if I don't buffer the water an just add the Fox Farm fert. (at 1/3 suggested strength) it will still be 6.0. The cost is a factor but not at the expense of healthy plants. I was running the runoff water back through the plants but have stopped and just chuck the runoff down the drain.

The reason I suggest to switch to coco is because it holds nutrients so well, and the fact that I agree with THG that they are probably getting root bound in those small pots, and that can lead to all grades of issues. Most likely, there is multiple issues happening there that can be eliminated by transplanting to bigger containers. If you are unsure of using coco, the Fox Farm soil or any of the more quality soils will do better than just the peat mix. Just don't get Miracle Grow soil unless it is the unnuted organic or seed-starter soil.

The 6.0 PH is too low in soil but in soilless with hydro nutes, 6.0 should be ok. Just to be on the safe side, I would get new containers and medium of choice, flush them good, them transplant and do a light feeding.

Also, whenever mixing up nutes with water; allow tap water to sit for 24hrs to remove chlorine(as you already do) then mix nutes and aerate for at least 12hrs then check PH and adjust if necessary. Adjusting PH is a way of life with growing MJ indoors. In soil, the microbes and lime do the PHing for you, but in soilless or hydro, you have to get the adjusters and do it manually. I hope this helps you get'em straight :)

I just went back and saw what I missed before :doh: You said that you mixed in composted cow manure with the peat and pearlite mix. Then you added FF nutes. First, you have an unballanced nutrient/soil setup. Composted manure is very strong stuff and should be mixed with a ballanced group of ammendments in an organic soil setup, along with a healthy dose of soil innoculant to protect the roots from nute burn(which is partially what you have there, according to the dark green and "clawing" leaves. The dark burnt patches are either from having too low a PH or a toxicity of nute imballance.

I can't remember if the FF nutes are organic or not but I stand by my suggestion to get some good soil and bigger pots and do a transplant. And if you want to stay with the organic type of setup then get some dolomitic lime and mix in with the soil when you mix it up. Add in a couple cups of the manure compost and pearlite and mix well before filling pots and transplanting. :) I hope this helps rather than confuse you :)

Latest posts

Back