Why do you add lime?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyfespan

Reaction score
Ok so everyone here is yelling to use lime in soil mixes, I have contemplated this for sometime now.

Why the hell would one add a product designed to drive the ph of my soil UP, I'm beginning to think some people are just tossing ideas out there.

My findings, my soil is already high in PH, my run off is always above 6.5, and my plants never have any coloring issues, nor lockout.

So fast forward to this week, like a dumb *** I let the board coercers me. I used lime in a few pots when transplanting and now I'm loosing the bottom leaves to extreme yellowing.

So my question is why the F@$K are people using lime, is you soil so acidic that you're fixing it back up or what, because I'm failing to see the need for LIME ever.

From what I have read, lime does not raise OR lower pH. It neutralizes it. So, if it's above 7 it neutralizes it to 7. If it's below 7, it neutralizes to 7.

I don't believe it's anything even close to adding pH up or down.

Again, from what I understand, the lime neutralizes the hydrogen in the soil to make, essentially, less of it and, therefore swinging pH (power of Hydrogen, after all) toward 7.

It's almost like it thins out the hydrogen so it has less effect on the overall volume of soil.

Runn off from plants with lime is 8.9without is 7

Like hackerman said Lime can't raise or lower the PH above or below 7 on it's own. It buffers at 7 ph. Checking your run off and chasing a certain ph will usually create way more problems than it solves. I never check my run off.

All these ppl with runoff fascinations, put the propper ph in and your done, stop worrying about runoff.

Feed the soil..... no worries.

Unless you really screwed up and used hydrated lime, look elsewhere for your yellow leaves.

Lime is ground up ROCK and usually takes a couple weeks before any effect. Besides that, I've grown plants in pure ground up limestone, so the rant carries zero weight with me.

Farmers have been using lime ever since they had the ability to crush limestone, hundreds if not thousands of years ago. Lime did not come along with the internet.

Have you ever gardened or tried to grow anything besides mj? You should.

With very few exceptions, about everything used in growing is acidic and your high soil pH is a mystery, especially if you are using a mix. Just what are you using to check pH?

There is something else going on here and it is most assuredly not the lime.

DD

For organic grows, or even some of the synthetic grows in organic medium, dolomite lime is another valuable amendment to use. It serves several purposes and is a valuable amendment. But that doesn't automatically mean that ALL grows should be using it. I have recommended it many times but found that it doesn't work well in the soilless medium applications, at least not for me.

With any advice, you should verify the information as much as possible before diving into it as some people just don't know what they are talking about. Some people know what they are talking about but don't fully understand your specific situation well enough to give you proper advice. Still others merely offer suggestions off of information that they have "heard" and don't really know iff that advice is good or not. And some of us simply make mistakes sometimes.

It is very challenging at best to diagnose another person's grow without actually being there. That is why we often ask so many informational questions before offering advice. But even with a lot of information from a grower, it is still very easy to misdiagnose problems for even the most experienced growers. There are so many variables that one missed variable can be a deciding factor in properly diagnosing issues. It is very much like being a human doctor. That is why they call their positions a "practice" and not an exact science.

With any advice given on a fforum like this, the information is purely opinion. Some is very experienced and well educated opinions, but others are purely speculation. That is why it is your responsibility to "vet" that information before applying it.

I am curious as to why you decided to use lime if your plants were doing well before adding it.

Why are you so mad about lime.... it is lime. I don't add it in organic grows. I don't add it to my native soil either because we are very alkaline here.....If i lived where acid loving plants grow well, i would add it.

I don't get the angst.

I add lime to all soil grows, including organic. The lime simply helps stabilize the pH.

Some more info on Lime and the types available for use:

Lime – Different kinds

Quicklime (calcium oxide) is a white solid having a crystalline structure. Quicklime is highly reactive with water, generating considerable heat in the hydration process. It can be bought at masonry supply stores. CAUTION: HIGHLY CAUSTIC

Hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide) is a dry powder obtained by treating quicklime with sufficient water to satisfy its chemical affinity for water, thereby converting the oxides to hydroxides. It can be bought at garden centers. CAUTION: CAUSTIC

Garden lime is calcium carbonate. It is usually manufactured by grinding marble stone to a fine dust. The dust can be bagged as such or it can be pelletized to make it easier to go through a spreader.

Dolomitic lime is garden lime that contains a small percentage of magnesium carbonate. Most garden lime sold in Georgia is dolomitic lime.

I used the Espoma lime, if it's a buffering, and not raising above 7 that's fine, I get that concept.

Dman, it's just for investigative purposes that I check the runoff in problem plants.

Also looks like my problems with my soil are a mixing issue, I'm buying a cement mixer to rectify this. I'm getting the issues only in certain pots, having nothing to do with strain or anything else so...with any luck. Because why else would I have issues with 3 plants going all yellow while 40 don't.

Live and learn

I used the Espoma lime, if it's a buffering, and not raising above 7 that's fine, I get that concept.

Dman, it's just for investigative purposes that I check the runoff in problem plants.

Also looks like my problems with my soil are a mixing issue, I'm buying a cement mixer to rectify this. I'm getting the issues only in certain pots, having nothing to do with strain or anything else so...with any luck. Because why else would I have issues with 3 plants going all yellow while 40 don't.

Live and learn

I ran into serious issues here, mixing lime and other additives to my media. All grows aren't the same, and taking general advice will KILL your grow. Water quality, style of grow, media or soil, types of nutes, H2O PH,,,are all integral parts of quality plants & health.

I paid a huge price for not diagnosing my choices, and following general advice...as said without exact details, a lot of bad advice is stated. I see threads here on the board, that exactly pertain to the same issue...people assume what you have, and lend bad info because of it...they mean well.

Without a very length communications with Hushpuppy, I may have never figured out the issue. After many tests and changes, we have gotten back on path. I probably should start a thread discussing the problem, but chances are it would turn into a peeing battle....and I wouldn't want to offend anyone, but yet continue to see the same incorrect advice.

If you are seeing us give bad info I would like to know Bwana.

I ran into serious issues here, mixing lime and other additives to my media. All grows aren't the same, and taking general advice will KILL your grow. Water quality, style of grow, media or soil, types of nutes, H2O PH,,,are all integral parts of quality plants & health.

I paid a huge price for not diagnosing my choices, and following general advice...as said without exact details, a lot of bad advice is stated. I see threads here on the board, that exactly pertain to the same issue...people assume what you have, and lend bad info because of it...they mean well.

Without a very length communications with Hushpuppy, I may have never figured out the issue. After many tests and changes, we have gotten back on path. I probably should start a thread discussing the problem, but chances are it would turn into a peeing battle....and I wouldn't want to offend anyone, but yet continue to see the same incorrect advice.

This sort of defeats the purpose of the site imo, if you have have info on a subject and it helped you solve an issue, why not share it so others can use it.

If you are seeing us give bad info I would like to know Bwana.

This sort of defeats the purpose of the site imo, if you have have info on a subject and it helped you solve an issue, why not share it so others can use it.

Folks I'm not implying "bad" info, but certainly incorrect information...and maybe Hushpuppy or I should start a thread, this isn't really the best place for that...out of respect to the OP. But I mention it because Lime is one of the problems, it can help you...or cause serious problems.

Everyone here has always been generous with their well meaning help & advice, but in reality there are some very hard lines drawn in the sand as to what actually effectively works. There are many ways to grow MJ, and many ways that don't work because of bad info....this is why you see the EXACT same threads on the board, continuously rehashing the same problems & sicknesses.

The experience learned growing 4 plants in your basement, is completely different than growing 200 budding plants at a time,,,,when cycling 10 strains the learning curve is much faster, and the problems much more evident...that's a fact.

I'll touch base with Hushpuppy and see if he wants to address it, I'll be pulling out of town for a few weeks soon(on Wednesday)...so maybe best to deal with it later...I don't know.

How long could it take? ha. I know it takes a long time to get thoughts together but you would be doing us a big service, both ya'll.

I believe the OP, Lyfespan would be interested too.

I would not mind doing a thread on this subject, but the key to what Bwanabud is saying is that every individual grow is unique because of environmental and human variables. It is easy for any of us who are more seasoned growers to look at a particular problem that is put up on the board for advice, and we end up looking at the OP's problem through the perspective of our own grows.

Not to say that it is wrong for us to do that but if you take 5 of the most experienced growers here and have them address a certain issue, or how they go about handling a grow, you will get 5 different answers and 5 different methods. No single method is wrong, but the problem is, (and I am guilty of making this mistake), the solutions need to be custom fitted to the individuals' own set of circumstances and unique variables. I have had many new growers ask for my individualized help because they couldn't figure out which person's advice to follow.

I try to tell new or less experienced growers that my method is just one of many solid methods on here, and it is up to the individual to learn as much as they can about MJ growing so that they can sort out the 5 different answers to a single question, and apply the one that best serves their unique situation. This is no one's fault nor is it necessarily "bad advice". It is more the pitfalls of open opinions being read by someone who is lacking in the level of knowledge needed to discern which information (best) applies to the individual with the question.

This is why whenever a grower asks a question about a particular problem or concern, we ask for as much information as possible so that we can give you the most accurate diagnosis. But even then, there can be multiple diagnoses with multiple solutions that will accurately apply to a given unique situation. It is up to the OP to "vet" the information as much as possible to be certain that the solution chosen actually fits that individual's problem or situation.

For example; we have seen repeatedly the question of flushing come up and be debated quite passionately. To the inexperienced grower, these debates often leave them as confused as they were when they asked the question. That is because, there are people here who have their grows so dialed in that they can sleep walk their way through a maintenance session. These people see absolutely no need to ever flush. I see fflushing as a very valuable tool for keeping issues from occurring for new growers who are using synthetic nutes. It is not a tool that should be used by every grower for every situation.

If I stop here, there will most certainly be many people who are growing organically (but not fully understand that they are fully organic) and they could easily think that fflushing is a good tool ffor them when it is absolutely the wrong tool for them as organic growers. We as experienced and knowledgeable advice givers have to be diligent to be sure we are giving advice that truly applies to the OP's specific situation and not just throw out generalized methods or solutions. But it is also the responsibility of the OP (new or inexperienced grower) to do the necessary homework so that you understand the advice that is given to you.

As always, if you are confused about advice laid out in a thread, please don't be afraid to ask. If you have to, go to any off the experienced growers individually to get more specific advice as there is NO one solution that fits all problems. Even the most accurate advice may need to be tailored to ffit your unique situation. I hope this helps :)

Latest posts

Back