Why do you keep your Ph so low?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shibumi

Reaction score
I need to be educated a bit, here. :confused:

Why do you guys keep your ph so low? I see most of you favor an average 5.8 but if I look at this chart from a different thread...
(http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1908)
I see the most availability is actually (or seems to be) around neutral or 7.

I've grown dirt my whole life so with hydro I am ignorant. I would really love to try and see what comes of it.

Personal experience or articles. Throw em at me please so I can see whats the real scoop. Also, the best chemicals to treat and maintain ph. What's the least amount of water I would want in my tub? I have an 18 gallon available. Too small? I'm sure I could dig up a blue plastic 55 gallon drum but would I still have to change the water every two weeks with that much water? Seems like that would get expensive.

On YouTube is a guy that shows "How to grow green". Very interesting and a very nice setup for what I have in mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuOTnI34vCc

Debate season is open.

I keep mine between 5.4-6.2 depending on what time through the grow... because water doesn't lock out nutes in the same range as dirt.... and because my nutrients chart says that it should be there. I figure their 50 years of botanical experience and research owns mine.

I got confused with the other chart that I linked to. Guess I was thinking it didn't matter as I had never really messed with hydro in the past. Dirt is portable and so that has always been my choice but now that I am a bit more situated I was thinking it may be fun to play with and see the growth rate you guys always talk about.

You guys rock.

Shibumi said:
I got confused with the other chart that I linked to. Guess I was thinking it didn't matter as I had never really messed with hydro in the past. Dirt is portable and so that has always been my choice but now that I am a bit more situated I was thinking it may be fun to play with and see the growth rate you guys always talk about.

You guys rock.

Growth up to 4 times faster... =)

if you want fast healthy growth keep your ph between 6.3-6.7,i have tried low ph and it is not the way to go in my opinion.i grow using 2 nft tables,one with 60 plants and the other 20,and get good fast consistant growth keeping my ph between 6.3-6.7.
i think there is alot of misinformatiopn on the net from people that dont grow ****.

stevo said:
if you want fast healthy growth keep your ph between 6.3-6.7,i have tried low ph and it is not the way to go in my opinion.i grow using 2 nft tables,one with 60 plants and the other 20,and get good fast consistant growth keeping my ph between 6.3-6.7.
i think there is alot of misinformatiopn on the net from people that dont grow ****.

I'll chime in with some agreement as well as disagreement. I have an aeroflo2 system and I've had good luck running my strain at 6.0-6.5.. After finally finding a happy nute strength I've started running between 5.5-6.2 just for comparisons sake. I've found fantastic growth throughout the range and believe that my issues in the past have been to strong of nutes.

It will take me personally another six months to complete my notes. Now that I know my nute strength limitations I can run a full cycle within a specific ph range and another full cycle within a higher ph range and compare.

It's always tough to duplicate precisely but I have control over the environment pretty well throughout the season so I'm hopefull in a reasonable amount of time to have "my answer".

Keeping to the point of "misinformation on the web" I will add my .02

As I explain to my employees at work,
I really want to hear all of your ideas. Please understand that it's my job to sift through these idea's and decide which ones will work in our situation and which ones may not.

I feel this forum and others like it are very similar. Plenty of ideas from friends of a green leaf. All my be completely "true" in the persons situation but in your own it may differ. Just take it slow and try and sift the good from the bad info.

I'll stop rambling as it's apparent I need some sleep.

Just like Doc touched on, entirely too many variables between strains and grow setups to say any one way is 'the right way'. I have a strain that flourishes at 85 to 95 degree temps...doesn't mean I am going to go around telling everyone that they are wrong and their growrooms are too cold.

My nutrient calender from the company that makes my nutes says to flower at 5.4-5.6 and veg from 5.7-5.9... so their 80+ years of research and spending I'm 100% sure is better then my few years... I'll go with what they tell me to do with their nutrients...

Traditionally hydro should be 5.8-6.2. Higher then 6.2 is for ground... soil and water nutrient availability is different.

yes ive gotta agree that there are alot of variables that come into play when growing using any hydro system,what i posted above was just my opinion,and obviously things like water,climate and where you are on this planet all come into it when sorting your recipe.
i know for me,it wasnt so much about getting the ph spot on,it was more about the cf,feeding them enough without burning the plants and not being afraid to feed enough and starving them.
it all comes down to,as others have said,getting whats right for you,your strain and your growing enviroment....

KADE said:
and because my nutrients chart says that it should be there. I figure their 50 years of botanical experience and research owns mine.

:laugh: hahaha

Latest posts

Back