Why don't you like femmed seeds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateur Grower

Blending in...
Reaction score
I know there are divided opinions on this board about whether feminized seeds are ok or whether they are unnatural and an abomination of nature. I've only done 5 or 6 grows total and I guess 3 of them I used femmed seeds. All 3 sets of 5 beans turned out female.

Have I just been lucky? Some of the people I respect most on MP don't seem to like femanized beans. Since I don't clone nor completely understand sexing by cuttings (and not sure I'd want to do it if I did), I have been able to save a lot of time and some money on dirt and ferts by not having to grow out 10 plants to maybe get 5 females.

Just wanting to hear your pros and cons.

AG

I have use femmed seeds for 4 grows. I always seem to have a few that are a abomination of nature. A few go hermi a few grow about 5 inches than start to bud. This time out of 11 plants started all fem, 1 has retarded leaves and I hope it grows into a normal plant. The leaves are wrinkled. 3 have started to bud already ***. I have them on 18 hours of light The plants that survive do very well. Over all I like the femmed seeds you find out pretty quick who is going to grow and who isn't. Does anybody know why they bud early. This the most I have ever had bud early and wonder if this is normal or something else I am doing. I am still pretty new to growing indoor. Thanks

The only time I have had any hermies is when I have grown out femmed beans. I do not want to pollinate my grow, so that is why I do not like them, their likelihood to hermie.ime

Its just a "roll of the dice", none of my fem WW ever went hermi but my regular BB did both times I tryed to grow it.

Both were from dutch passion.

I have grown both and am currently growing from femmed seeds. I think the key to success is to get femmed seeds from high end breeders as they usually care a lot more about getting good genetics from their crops.

The problems that are occurring with the femmed seeds are a result of breeders using weaker genetics that result from improper breeding and femming techniques. The 3 strains that I am currently growing are all femmed that I got from the Single Seed Center and Nirvana. I have had no problems other than late bloom nanners that aren't really herms as much as the natural inclination of the plant to follow its desire to procreate.

RXMan; the issues you are seeing are genetic anomallies that are most likely a result of weaker genetics and/or genetic mutation that is caused by poor femming techniques. You can help overcome the early flowering by running the lights on 24hrs rather than 18/6, but I would get better seeds. :)

I don't have a problem with using femmed seeds if the grower is careful to not allow the plants to breed further or produce unwanted pollen outside in places where people do a lot of outdoor growing as this can hurt other people's grows and further promote an unhealthy hermaphroditic trait in the MJ population. I only use the femmed plants in controlled indoor environments where I have no intentions of breeding them. No one should ever breed with femmed plants as that creates problems. That type of genetic manipulation should be left to the top breeders. :)

AG'... my problem w/ femmed beans probably stems from breeder selection and breeding practices. "IMO" too many breeders do not put enough time and effort into selecting a female that is 'at least'.., resistant to producing staminate flowers under stress. But rather simply choose their candidate for other traits, (potency, vigour, ect.) without regards to resistance. Without proper selection, it is my opinion, that they are essentially, breeding "for".. in favor of, that characteristic.
"IMO" only 'true' females w/ the YY chromosome, should be used for femmenizing seeds. One that 'requires' chemical reversal. Then 'that' pollen should only be used on a clone of 'that' true female.

EDIT:... good answer hush'y :)

I avoid femmed seeds for the same reason I avoid GMO seeds or plant material, I feel it's a abomination and less than natural.

Guess I'm just a Luddite and too old to change my ways. :ignore:

Wet

Hushpuppy said:
I have grown both and am currently growing from femmed seeds. I think the key to success is to get femmed seeds from high end breeders as they usually care a lot more about getting good genetics from their crops.

The problems that are occurring with the femmed seeds are a result of breeders using weaker genetics that result from improper breeding and femming techniques. The 3 strains that I am currently growing are all femmed that I got from the Single Seed Center and Nirvana. I have had no problems other than late bloom nanners that aren't really herms as much as the natural inclination of the plant to follow its desire to procreate.

RXMan; the issues you are seeing are genetic anomallies that are most likely a result of weaker genetics and/or genetic mutation that is caused by poor femming techniques. You can help overcome the early flowering by running the lights on 24hrs rather than 18/6, but I would get better seeds. :)

What growers would you recommend Thanks

I completely grok the perspective of reg seed being a rational and sole choice for breeding. But fems are fun and can be very reliable.

I've run fem seeds at least 10+ crop cycles, maybe 40+ strains. I try and stick with reputable "top tier" breeders but have run fems from many of the lessor known folks as well. That said, the most hermies I've seen have been from brand-name breeders like Barney's and Greenhouse Seed - but for me have been somewhat rare. Gotten more hermies from UFO 1-seed packs from Attitude, but that's not stopped me running them. Just haven't seen enough hermies to scare me away, but I'm a fiend with a magnifying glass come flower time. I still don't trust autos very much but have had some stunning success even with those mongrels.

For me the issue is one of physical space and labor as much as anything. If I run reg strains I have to plan and assume a 50% fem rate, and thats a lot of soil to mix and tend for a 1/2 failure rate. For me, the fem/male ratio of reg seed has been about 60/40, and the seed germination failure is about 10%-20%. So if I get a 10 pack of regular, 8 germ and grow, then 4 of them will be female when I'm lucky. Means daily tending of plants which will only get killed at about week 9 (I do a 16 week cycle). Thats a lot of labor and soil and cost for a failure rate like that... My grows are always in rooms around 8-foot by 10-foot so the floor real estate is a biggie to me. Can't help but to feel pain from the folks just starting with 2-4 plant grows who start from reg seed. Nothing like tending 4 babies to the point of changing their diapers only to loose 3 of them to mommy nature's choices.

Maybe I'm different than others but I've seen no degradation of quality of smoke in the femmed seed. Top notch smoke when grown properly.

Main thing I do not like about femmed seed is not knowing -exactly- how the breeder generated the seed. I've known breeders who did not really have all their oars in the water and all they generated were bags of waste-of-time seed. As the market improves and refines I really hope breeders will grow more open about their techniques and their lab grows.

No way I would do it if I intended to breed a strain, but fem seed is worth it for me and a lot of fun to grow. I love the variety it can bring. Only a couple of the packs in the pic were reg seed, and I've got a lot more empty packs than shown (smile).

RandomPacks01.jpg

:yeahthat: one time i had a plant that went completely male while half way thru flower, forget what it was (ww freebie) spoiled a whole grow. but otherwise ive had success with them. the main deal with me is space but i still run regs from time to time. i might even have a botm entry coming with a reg i have going now :cool:

Old SSSC Guy-I'm really interested in how the BF LSD turned out. I've got 4 going at the moment. Would love a smoke report! :watchplant:

AG

Great stuff, grew it several times before losing her. Good solid high, kinda lanky buds...but tight and sticky!

Latest posts

Back