Why Hydro?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like you, I love to try new things and experiment with techniques. I will eventually try a run at organics to see about the differences. I will have to do a side-by-side of hydro to organics with a couple different strains and see which tastes better. Who knows, We might find that there are some strains that are just better all around in hydro while others are better all around in organics. :)

Hushpuppy said:
Like you, I love to try new things and experiment with techniques. I will eventually try a run at organics to see about the differences. I will have to do a side-by-side of hydro to organics with a couple different strains and see which tastes better. Who knows, We might find that there are some strains that are just better all around in hydro while others are better all around in organics. :)

I'll wager that you are correct...that both methods are more appropriate and maybe even superior, depending upon strain. I have no experience with hydro, but I will by years' end...

BTW, there are very mixed reviews about Fox Farm Ocean Forest (FFOF), but I can report a very positive experience (mixed with 15% perlite), using the Fox Farm nutrients and recommended feeding schedule...the knock is that FFOF sometimes contains bugs, but I've noticed none thus far (11 days into flowering)...just FYI...maybe a good first attempt at a non-hydro grow...

Just FYI, I have all the ingredients to make Subcool's Super Soil...I will mix it and get it cooking in the sunshine by this weekend...Just in time for my next grow...

Does anyone have a link to info, on the different types of hydro styles ? I see members posting their perfered style....but I don't understand the differences :)

I checked in the resource section, can't find it.

Basically you have 2 styles to choose from: Buckets, or Flood tables.

I have done both now and i would recommend flood table on ebb and flow for the sole reason that it is easier to flood and drain all the plants at the same time (check out my current SFV OG thread). This can lead to an entire crop failure if something goes wrong.

Now either style can use a recirculating system (constant flow) although flood tables are hard to get right because permanently soaked rockwool will rot roots so this is where a lot of o2 and air stones is needed. Constant flow in bucket systems are the most common and utilize a controller bucket and air stone in each bucket bottom. These are referred to as Deep Water Culture or DWC.

Both styles can use a drain to waste top feed system. When doing this you may get dry spots in the media so top feeding is a harder skill to master. But drain to waste ensures all the plants dont contaminate each other and all plants get fresh non recycled nutrient solution each time it is watered. Drain to waste buckets would be more "hempy" style buckets.

Single buckets (my current root rot/brown slime cure thread) ensures each hydro system is separate and there little chance of cross contamination from a bad plant.

Soooo... I would still recommend a flood table with a reservoir under it that floods and drains a few times a day, and is emptied and refilled AT LEAST once a week...as long as you keep your reservoir clean you should have great success. But basically you need to determine if you want buckets or tables, then decide if you want top feed, flood and drain, or constant flow recirculating nutrient.

*Ill post some youboob and MP links in the next post with each style.

NOW THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO DO HYDRO AND JUST ABOUT EVERY SYSTEM HAS MINOR DIFFERENCES.

Here is DWC single buckets. Notice each bucket gets 2 air stones. The top of the bucket has a "Net Pot" on it and the pot is filled with a clone, and hydroton (other media may be used). The water level is set just below the pot and you need to check water levels in each bucket daily. It can be a task but it is the "safest" in my opinion.
attachment.php

you drain the individual buckets with this:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60409

Here is a recirculating table setup, (probably the most advanced style that combines DWC and ebb and flow) I do not recommend.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60152

Here is a ebb and flow (flood and drain table); by far the easiest.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60880

Here is a recirculating DWC bucket setup
hXXp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cLeJPl3Ml0&feature=related

WELL SHOOT! I typed all that and after doing some searching for videos, I find this link :rofl:

hXXp://www.simplyhydroponic.com/hydroponic-systems/5-types-of-hydroponic-systems

OG, really great info...thanks :)

Looking forward to the Hydro for Idiots links....I'll go check out your SFV thread now.

EDIT: You're faster than me...must be the Lemon Skunk over here :)

Wow, I have some reading to do :holysheep: And I know who to bother with questions :D

I have a million questions.....but just 1 for right now, I was always under the impression that lights and roots don't get along.....So doesn't the recirc table setup, let light blast the roots, thus inhibiting growth ?

Ok, ok, 2 questions.....which is best for an experienced grower(soil)that buds 40-50 plants at a time(budget money is yours to spend) :icon_smile:

Well...yes and no. You are correct that roots dont like light. But usually there is this equilibrium where the plants are young and small when put into the big HPS lights so their roots are not big enough to expose them selves on the table yet. And as the plants fill in the roots grow out and the filling in of the plants blocks light from hitting the tray.

You cant expect it to be perfect everytime, so best bet is to space the plants evenly and add strips of panda film across the tops.
Like This:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=188175&d=1334467803

Best to have the table, and the res covered all the time.

My opinion: do 1/2 soil and 1/2 flood and drain tables and compare the results. I bet youll be happy with the hydro, but just in case its not for you...its best to only waste 1/2 the $. :)

OG, Great info & advice....Thank you.

Would you custom build the tables to your room(DIY)....or buy finished products that "will fit, how they fit" ? I'm VERY handy :)

I would buy tables, they come in all sizes and have drain channels built in. Making a wood table and using pond plastic lining would suck the big one if it started to leak 1/2 way though flower, or plants in the back never drained properly because it sat in a pool of water and die and now you cant get to them because a trellis netting is now in the way or something. :p

OGKushman said:
I would buy tables, they come in all sizes and have drain channels built in. Making a wood table and using pond plastic lining would suck the big one if it started to leak 1/2 way though flower, or plants in the back never drained properly because it sat in a pool of water and die and now you cant get to them because a trellis netting is now in the way or something. :p

I want to try Flood & Drain 2 or 3 grows from now. Because I have to carry water upstairs, I thought about getting a 2x2 flood table instead of a 3x3. I would be flowering 4 Northern Lights in such a table under a 600-watt HPS and using Advanced Nutrients nutes.

I know yield can't be pre-determined, but would 6 ounces be out of the question assuming a SCROG or even a SOG?

That should be the minimun^ and he's it sounds like it will work good. :D

OGKushman said:
That should be the minimun^ and he's it sounds like it will work good. :D

Thanks for your help...if I can ever offer you advice on an organic grow, please feel free to PM me...good luck to you...

Cons for me:

$$$$$ electricity and setup cost $$$$$

and how would i hide one of these outside? Hydro is not for me

drfting07 said:
Cons for me:

Considering that you can save 3 weeks vegging with hydro, that would offset the power consumption of lites, fans, etc... for hydro pumps :hubba:

drfting07 said:
Cons for me:

like said before ... he 3+wks you save in veg will save some money..
not that it cost a whole heck of a lot to run a simple small hydro system..
gotta think a water pump that tuns on for a bit here n there aint gonna cost you 100's of dollars.. even an air pump running 24/7 from start to finish dont cost too much...

you probally have electronics in yer house that are pulling more power "when off" then what a water pump n air pum will draw..

that being said.. lets talk about set up... CHEAP.. for most people.. theres no sense going out buying this n that.. all top line expencive shet and end up going back to soil..
start off simple.. either DWC or home made ebb systems..
i built a tub style ebb.. i do beleive its in my AI journal.. for like 50-60$.. thats pretty cheap...

i upped that system n made a 4 pail 3gal ebb system.. for 120$ max..

a guy has to learn to shop around and build his own when possible..
like OG said if yer going flood tables its easier and better just to buy em...

and ya dont hide these outside.. lol... if your bringing plants from inside to out to hide em from company ... DONT GROW... either someone outside will see em eventually or someone coming over will see em...

LH

Why hydro/aero?
Faster growth, bigger yield, much easier to deal with once up and running - precise control, great if you want to do 4+ of the same strain. No soil for bugs to brood in.

Why soil?
More dense, arguably higher quality nugs. Single containers are more versatile to move- easier to inspect / prune plants than with larger hydro systems if in a smaller space.

I made a currently 10-site aero table for around $150 that is great fun. Currently doing a soil round. Love them both. The 10-site is hard to maneuver around though in the flower chamber, but next time I won't veg the plants at all, and increase the # of sites. And prune every bit of undergrowth. Just grow colas.

Latest posts

Back