Why is...(this world of ours)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electricity can and is being made daily without fossil fuels, we just need to stop being slaves to the elec company and make the leap. It's a costly start-up, but I'm wagering many of us will see it pay off quickly...especially us growers!

holy crap did i stir up a poo storm? i just got back online and i got a lot of reading to do. u guyz got busy fingers!

;)

:48:

Great thread, OG. It's turned into a microcosm of the country--try to start a serious discussion about oil addiction and the conversation goes directly to impractical silliness. First things first: get our lips off the oil tit, and let go of that chunck of coal that's got us caught in the ball trap. We've got enough natural gas fto stage a hundred year moratorium on oil and coal. Maybe, just maybe, we could come up with some serious renewable source in 100 years.

As far as the trillions that it would take, that's only for refueling stations--as I said, the technology for natural gas driven vehicles and factories has been there for years. Let's see: Iraq=a gazzillion dollars a week; Afghanistan=a gazzillion dollars a week. Look, there's 2 gazzillion dollars a week for our retrofit right there.

Unfortunately, the biggest problem with natural gas is that the guys who own the gas fields wear big ol' greed hats. Did someone say "eminent domain?"

PencilHead said:
Let's see: Iraq=a gazzillion dollars a week; Afghanistan=a gazzillion dollars a week.

Yeah, all that to swat at flies... Warfare just ain't what it used to be...
I thought Obama was gonna end these wars.
I mean, at least end one or the other, pick your favorite!!!
I don't mean this in a political way, just pure economics.
Whether we send our money to the middle east to buy gas for our cars or for our tanks it still goes to the same place, right?

ArtVandolay said:
On the other hand, you have different fingers.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Art, where have you been, I have been missing you. Are you guys all moved?

I dunno about Art, but I moved....

from the bed to the computer chair, to the bathroom, to the kitchen and now back to the computer chair.... :D :D

Here, hit this :48: and not me please....

PencilHead said:
Unfortunately, the biggest problem with natural gas is that the guys who own the gas fields wear big ol' greed hats. Did someone say "eminent domain?"

I remember reading something about this a couple months back. Natural gas fields are being discovered all the time and apparently a huge one was discovered in......Pennsylvania I think? Anyway, farmers are leasing the rights to collect natural gas on their farmland and RAKING in money. They get a percentage of each....I believe it was cubic foot of gas recovered. Let me see if I can dig up the article. It was an interesting read.....
hXXp://money.cnn.com/2010/10/06/news/economy/penn_community/index.htm
The problem with natural gas is that though it burns cleeaner than coal or oil, getting it out of the Earth is a very dirty process. The company mentioned in the article I linked, Marcellus Shale, is under close investigation because of the process they use to extract natural gas. They basically create cesspools of toxic waste wherever they extract natural gas. Fortunately for them, they were given a free pass by Bush/Cheney that prevents Marceulls Shale from being bound by the normal EPA regulations.

-SSF-

you know how deep they have to go in Pa to get oil and gas now?
few people know but the first oil rush in the US was in Pa.
Also had a friend blown up pipelining nat. gas. in north central Pa.
Rough tough business there...and no it's freakin expensive to drill those wells on usually a "maybe" they are never sure until they hit it.

:D I thought the oil boom started in Southern Cali by a silver miner named Daniel Plainveiw

;)

Its good to read yalls views on touchy subjects.

We all have to do are part as best we can. I've got the skeleton of two 12 foot satalite dishes that I'm going to make a solar collector out of and use the ground as a heat sink that I can draw from as needed. I saw a small community that is doing that, in Canada I think. It took a long time for the initial heat up, (thinking a year), but runs smoothly thereafter. But that one was HUGE!!!

OGKushman said:
:D I thought the oil boom started in Southern Cali by a silver miner named Daniel Plainveiw

;)

Its good to read yalls views on touchy subjects.

While most people think of Texas when you mention oil, the modern oil industry actually traces its roots to Titusville, Pennsylvania, north of Pittsburgh. It was 1859 when Col. Edwin L. Drake successfully drilled the first oil well there.

hXXp://pittsburgh.about.com/od/day_trips/a/titusville_oil.htm

I was totally joking

Daniel Plainview was a character in the award winning movie about a miner turned oil tycoon..."There Will Be Blood"... awesome flick

OGKushman said:
I was totally joking

Daniel Plainview was a character in the award winning movie about a miner turned oil tycoon..."There Will Be Blood"... awesome flick

i know LOL i just thought i'd post the info up ;)

I look at the human race as a huge infestation of spider mites. We will eat and consume and destroy everything and then move on to the next garden. We are like a virus and planet earth is our host.

maineharvest said:
I look at the human race as a huge infestation of spider mites. We will eat and consume and destroy everything and then move on to the next garden. We are like a virus and planet earth is our host.

We are the only species on this planet that does not live in harmony. Makes ya ponder thoughts of we're we dumped off here thousands and thousands of years ago?

Mutt said:
We are the only species on this planet that does not live in harmony. Makes ya ponder thoughts of we're we dumped off here thousands and thousands of years ago?

I think now we might be getting into a more abstract view of life itself. We always talk about life as being beautiful but when you really look at it, it can be scary. Other than plants and things that get their energy from the sun, life can only survive and thrive my consuming itself. All mammals, animals, etc, everything that pretty much moves can only survive by destroying and consuming other forms of life. Even vegetarians survive by destroying and eating plant life. In other words with the excpetion of life forms that feed off sunlight, pretty much every other form of life is virus-like in it's survival. It must find other life forms to dominate and consume. What seperates us from other forms of life is the extent to which we dominate and consume other forms of life, and that we are the only species on the planet that while performing this process simultaneously destroys the environment for future forms of life.

-SSF-

Our candidates for president so evil! Why do we REALLY have no choice? Romney or Obama is the next president, it doesn't matter who we choose as a people anymore...:(

How did campaign contributions become the deciding factor? I don't want to live in their planet anymore.

Maybe it never did? Maybe when the presidents see the top secret information, they have no choice but to change their stance. :eek:

At least they don't get to seed our first child. ;)

Way I see it, with the U.S. nearing that special 51% of world military power, things should get rough and ugly, and then eventually mellow out.

Doubt much will change for me, beyond maybe a draft, or some 'natural' disasters. :confused2:

So I'm going keep my eye on the prize, and focus on the things I want to get done. :icon_smile:

After all, cavemen survived the ice age with fire, sticks, and stones; we should be alright. :fly:

:48:

Oh and you bes believe i got my sticks and stones;)

Latest posts

Back