Why o why have my little plants died?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vexsus2889

Reaction score
I started growing for the 1st time the other day, got my seeds on 4/2/12 germinated for about 4 days. Planted on the 6th. I was used a 25 seed growing kit (the kits pelts where supposed to consist of little to no extra nutrients).

I watered them with tap water that was sitting out for 2 days. Following the kit's directions, I filled it with water.

They are under a t5 fluorescent light its 4' and has 6 bulbs that are 6500K (rated @ 20k lumens). The system is on a timer set to come on @ 7am and go off @ 1am.

The temperature in the closet is anywhere from 76-85° however, the temp in the kit could be a little higher. I know the temp should be around 76° which I planned on getting right when my plants came out of the kit. I noticed in the kit it is extremely humid.

Not too sure what happen to them they just started getting all sick, leaves turned yellow and some of them started falling over :/. I did take a look at an abuse chart and made an educated (inexperienced) guess. My guess is nute burn but I don't know how this could even happen when I didn't feed them any nutes!

Sorry that the pics are such a low quality, I was unable to get a camera and had to use my phone.

bltt.jpg

Overview.jpg

bigbuddahcheese.jpg

blue lemon thai2.jpg

white widow.jpg

I'm not familiar with what that medium is. How close are your lights to the plants? What is the pH of the water you're using? Are you using tap water? Do you have a water purifying system in place, if you are? Heat stress and pH are both causes for this as well, I think. You don't look overwatered.

only thing I see and from my experie=ance with the domes and seed starting...first remember those "kits" are speaking of flowers/vegtables ...not our MJ...I use those 12 count domes with peat peallets..and mine say to remove the dome when they first pop they head out...the yellowing is cause from "lack of light and high humidity...if the dome is still on...I would say remove it and move those little ones closer to the t5..like 3 inches from bulbs:aok:..hope this helps

take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

getnasty said:
I'm not familiar with what that medium is. How close are your lights to the plants? What is the pH of the water you're using? Are you using tap water? Do you have a water purifying system in place, if you are? Heat stress and pH are both causes for this as well, I think. You don't look overwatered.

I don't think this will matter much if the gals are only days old, ph won't make a dif at this point? However, if the water is softened, that could cause problems. Thinking aloud here, someone please correct if my thoughts are off!

that medium looks a bit like a bacon stuffed baked potato... imo..
I must be hungry.. :)
I would agree with 4u2 on this.
Personally I use rockwool cubes for my seedlings and plain water, no dome.

Im not too sure what this medium is.. It doesn't say on the box.. The water I use is just normal tap water, I just let it sit out to remove the chlorine. I didnt get my ph meter yet as I assumed for some reason that the pellets in the kit wouldn't come with some strange high amount of ph.... Now that im looking at the kit is says to remove the dome when the seedlings pop out. However, I didn't remove it right away cause some of the seedling where doing good (the 1s in the pics) and some of them didn't come out yet (more than half of the seeds I planted).

vexsus2889 said:
Im not too sure what this medium is.. It doesn't say on the box.. The water I use is just normal tap water, I just let it sit out to remove the chlorine. I didnt get my ph meter yet as I assumed for some reason that the pellets in the kit wouldn't come with some strange high amount of ph.... Now that im looking at the kit is says to remove the dome when the seedlings pop out. However, I didn't remove it right away cause some of the seedling where doing good (the 1s in the pics) and some of them didn't come out yet (more than half of the seeds I planted).

There's your problem pretty much guaranteed. Not PH'ing tap water is gonna wreak havoc on seedlings. they won't be able to feed.

That was not a nute deficiency. A seedling has enough energy to pop out not just the seed leaves but the set after that and grow them a little. You should deffinitely in all situations and time do your ph but that problems wouldn't of really shown much sign yet and definitely wouldn't of butchered and twisted the leaves like that. They would simply be a bit pale if anything at this very very young stage.

This really is a strange case and that's why experienced growers are struggling to tell you what exactly has happened.

I have 3 suspects in my mind. 1 some kind of infection since the leaves are so gnarled so young. 2 over fertilization, but you said you only gave tap and think the medium is blank so hmm. 3. Drowning- did you water the seedlings every day? It's a common mistake to over water and then a high humidity would compound the effect.

Honestly though this one is a bit tricky to diagnose through fuzzy pictures and descriptions of it's upbringing.

Too much humidity in itself should not of caused such a savage result. Humidity inhibits transpiration so in a bigger plant would reduce photosynthesis and create hot spots inside the leaves that could burn- but a seedling is supposed to be in humid conditions so even if it was 100% i don't it would of hammered such a small seedling so fast.

Being humid and the medium wet though is the compound effect.

Its just a peat medium(pellet). They can be acidic. But in the seedling stage PH'ing water and nutrients is just not needed. Those pellets can hold moisture. Espically when you have them in a dome. As said. The combo is killing your little ones. Pop the top off those and get a gentle breeze on them. See what happens.

Don't water on arbitrary timelines (saying every x days i do x liters) rather instead water based on constant observation of your medium.

i say this because i know you aren't a commercial grower which would need automation to increase productivity and decrease workload.

I did not water them at all after the initial fill of the kit which was 5 cups of water for 25 pellets (12 of them had germinated seeds). Yesterday night, before my lights went out I took the dome off. The 4 plants that are left are doing much better (by that I mean they are not dead). The leaves that didn't have any discoloring still don't have any today. So I guess it's looking like a humidity problem.. I think what Ill do (for my next attempt) is use the cubes in a solo cup that way they are independent and I don't have to worry about them all sprouting at the same time.

It would be good if you had a meter to record the minimum and maximum humidity levels it was going through

I do have a meter that shows the temp and the humidity. But I don't have it in the kit its self.. Its just telling me the current temp/humidity of the closet. I have a digital one in my flowering closet that does what you're talking about... I have been meaning to pick another one up.. I do know its very dry in my vegi space atm (static 35% humidity). I am going to get a small table top humidifier tomorrow so I can get it under control.

To my knowledge 35% is in the good range. You don't want it too high, especially in flower cause of mold and such

Ideally seedlings and young plants should be in high-ish humidity because it increases the likely hood of producing a female from seed.

By the way since it's been stressed as hell, use a B vitamin additive such as Superthrive or Floralicious Plus. They are normally made from some kelp called Ascophyllum nodosum and are brilliant as a de-stress/revitaliser/activator fix. Brands vary but humic and fulvic acid are usually in the mix too which has added benefits. Actually it's also very good as a root stimulant too. I use Grostorm (another one again by flairform) in the tank all the way through for the all round benefit and because it lifts brix level (internal sugars) which increases flavour.

With the two products i mentioned it can be applied to the medium or foliar sprayed on. I've seen explosive results from using this kind of product and for the most part it doesn't seem to matter what brand.

nouvellechef said:
Its just a peat medium(pellet). They can be acidic. But in the seedling stage PH'ing water and nutrients is just not needed. Those pellets can hold moisture. Espically when you have them in a dome. As said. The combo is killing your little ones. Pop the top off those and get a gentle breeze on them. See what happens.

I thought this to be the case, THANKS!

thanks nouvle....I dont PH water for seedlings.....

Latest posts

Back