wick system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefty

Reaction score
does anyone out there have any experience w / the wick system of hydro? i was using a system to start and grow tomatoes and to start sunflowers. this of course i was using different fertz,nutes and was just wondering if anyone grew the good stuff this way, and what kind(brand name and contents of product)of nutes solutiions they used to do this , also is felt the best things to use as the wicks? also whats the best medium,perlite, vermiculite, sand ,whats your (valued) opinion? might try this route soon thanx lefty.....................................p.s how many wicks am i to use if im growing 12 plants in a 4 ft by 6 ft container and equal size resivoir. if this is wrong let me no..................ready to set up a wick system using rockwool starters going into big r.w cubes once established with string pullys for support. w/ 400 watt hps and some 65 watt flos to start them. then ill swich to a flowering light during budding. watt du u all think? any and all advice is appreciated thought about doing my northern lights this way along with some cali kush! sound like a plan? by the way my ebb and flos kickn. (sister stole my camera w/ i get it back ill post some young but sweet lookin mommas for u..........................thanx ...lefty p.s schools going fine we are decorating w/ lights u no tis the season i guess this is supposed to teach us elements of desighn, i want to bring in a cristmas cola and decor it....ha:bong:

Hey Lefty, it's good to hear your ebb and flow is doin good man!

I've never messed with wicks. Good luck man.

i saw a picture of a giant wick system it must have had 100 wicks. looks simple and like it works in theory but i dont know im messing with a 2 litre one just to get some seeds going and put them into stoneys wonderful systrm.(stone by the way thanx) i had a leak and had to replace some pvc but its all good now. STONEYS THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!1

lefty said:
i saw a picture of a giant wick system it must have had 100 wicks.
I'm interested to know how the wick system works for you if you grow some weed in it.

I hope your leak from the PVC was only a few drops. I've seen pics of catastrophic leaks that filled half of a house. That's why I use the hose in my system. It prevents a lot of stress on the PVC.

Were you able to tell what caused the leak? If it's something in my design, I'd like to know so I can resolve it.

i think i was just rushing it when i was drilling the holes . i caught it as i was setting it up for the 2nd time and i just drilled a new piece of pvc as per your instructions.(always follow the direections!) your system is perfect ,no worries. i didnt have any flood damage, but i can see how this could b a major problem, and i now no not to mess with something that works!:D i also just use this little wick system to start my seeds in a little bit of perlite and starter rockwool cube once they are on about thier 3rd set of leaves and still rooting in the cube i will put them into your system via entering the starter r.w cube into the big ones then into the cage! i never fully grew one w/ wick system .i might try to build one using the examples in the hydro:food production book u showed me i think its on pages 324-325. there are several ways of doingit. for example put cubes in bed of perlite -vermiculite and put little slits in the bottom of trayput a smaller contianer underneath w/ solution of nutes running wicks up to the perlite tray through the slits toching the cubes ,get as much surface area as possible of the wick touching the cubes. check solution frequently. if this works your guess as good asmine ,probably need to stake.

I have seen that method of cloning on another site, they use outdoor candle wicks.

Latest posts

Back