Will power bar lights disturb dark period?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetgreen

Reaction score
Hey just wondering if the red and green lights on my power bar that are in my tent would cause issues with the dark period? The power switch is lit up red, and the indicator lights for fault protection are green. The red one is the biggest, but probably still LED.

Anything to worry about in terms of them causing hermies?

Thanks

Just to be safe, I use black electric tape over the lights.

Never thought about it actually..... v35b has a great idea, ive noticed that he doesnt say much, but its usually true and correct!

if it gives off light U tape it.

:goodposting:v35b

well from my experience it doenst affect me. as a matter of a fact ive left my door open to get better air flow and had real low illumination, or a glow from another room getting right in and I never had a problem. I figure outdoor plants arent in total darkness ie:moonlight and such. but thats my personal exp. and jmo. Im sure someone will ring in though.:48:

hick.man said:
well from my experience it doenst affect me. as a matter of a fact ive left my door open to get better air flow and had illuminatoin from another room getting right in and I never had a problem. I figure outdoor plants arent in total darkness ie:moonlight and such. but thats my personal exp. and jmo. Im sure someone will ring in though.:48:
I would never do what you just wrote, why would you leave your door open? Add a intake and an outake for ventilation. I asked about the moon in one of my posts somewhere and i didnt get an answer.

It was a real tight budget,heh, and like I said its just my personal exp. never had a problem. and I have lets just say a few years under my belt.:)
I personaly wouldnt worry bout my power lights or strip lights.

hick.man said:
It was a real tight budget,heh, and like I said its just my personal exp. never had a problem. and I have lets just say a few years under my belt.:)
I personaly wouldnt worry bout my power lights or strip lights.
Cool man, glad it worked out well.:)

All I've read says that there can be a minimal amount of light (say about as much as a full moon produces) without it effecting the grow cycles. Now, how do you figure out how much light that is???

Roddy said:
All I've read says that there can be a minimal amount of light (say about as much as a full moon produces) without it effecting the grow cycles. Now, how do you figure out how much light that is???

If someone had a light meter they could go out on a full moon and tell us what it reads. Then we could use that as a maximum allowable for inside inside

...I'm just guessing that's how it works

Either way, I tape off all unwanted lights inside the room, being too dark can never be a problem!! :D

Full moons dont count, somthing about it not being true light as it is reflected sunlight off the moon, :confused2:

I tape all those little orange and red light off with foil tape just to be safe.

hick.man said:
well from my experience it doenst affect me. as a matter of a fact ive left my door open to get better air flow and had real low illumination, or a glow from another room getting right in and I never had a problem. I figure outdoor plants arent in total darkness ie:moonlight and such. but thats my personal exp. and jmo. Im sure someone will ring in though.:48:

There is a huge difference between moonlight (which is actually reflected sunlight from the moon that is 356,400-406,700 km from the earth) and ambient light from an adjacent room. Consider yourself truly fortunate if you did not get hermies from this practice. I, too, tape off all light from power strips, heaters, etc, etc that may permeate my dark period.

The Hemp Goddess said:
There is a huge difference between moonlight (which is actually reflected sunlight from the moon that is 356,400-406,700 km from the earth) and ambient light from an adjacent room. Consider yourself truly fortunate if you did not get hermies from this practice. I, too, tape off all light from power strips, heaters, etc, etc that may permeate my dark period.
I saw that you chimed in on this, thank god. I just had to read what you were going to say.

Moonlight is still light, regardless of the source. However, full moonlight is less the one lumen p/sf and it is insignificant in terms of photosysnthesis.

Taking a big chance though letting any indirect light hit your plants, regardless of the source. All those hours invested lost. Why risk it. Cover them over as suggested.

Word of warning though- most power strips also use the power switch as a breaker, tripping if you have a surge or draw too much power- that's why they are rated in amps. Be careful not to tape it in such a manner that will not allow it to trip or you risk a fire- you'll lose a lot more than your plants!

indeed why risk it. I must have been truly lucky to not have gotten a hermie in 4+years. finally got a better space now. I will check for any light sources and tape my power bars.

Latest posts

Back