will this get too hot? tent set up help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

707NewGenGrower

Reaction score
im buying gear for 4x4 tent grow - this is what im thinking the set up will be
1000w hps in magnum xxl hood, 1 4'' vortex air cooling hood, another 4'' for exhaust, and smaller fan for intake (on timer alternating with co2)
doing sog so im pretty worried about high heat when they small - does anyone have any experience with this set up? think it will stay under 80?

If you are going with a 1000w hps hood, you should probably go with a 6" vent and fan for cooling it. I don't think that the Magnums come with 4" vent flanges, so you would have to go with 6" or get a reducer. If it was 400w or 600w even, you could get away with 4" vent but I believe with the 1Kw you have to have the 6" or you will fight heat.

You will not need a fan on the intake for the tent. You should leave that passive and just use an exaust fan to pull air out of the tent. That will prevent any positive pressurizing of the tent which would lead to smell leaks, and its really not needed for that size tent.

I assume since you are concerned about high heat when thay are small, you are intending to use just the HPS for lighting through veg and flower? I would recommend that you get you either some T5HO flourescent fixtures (maybe 2 4 bulb fixtures to hang on either side of the Magnum) or get a digital ballast that can run both MH and HPS and can be turned down to 600w, and run the MH bulb while in veg, then switch when you go to flower. That is what I do and it works quite well. The Lumatek digital ballasts are really nice. :)

This will be my second year running a 4x4 tent....I run a 600w in a cool tube and a 400w in a standard reflector. I run one 6 inch inline fan rated at about 450cfm I believe. Hush is right about the intake...leave it passive. My tent has 3 passive intakes along the floor. The fan does all the hard work...pulling the hot old air from the tent via the cool tube and venting that air out a window. I don't even run a filter most grows. The negative pressure keeps the odor at bay. I runa small fan inside the tent down low just to keep dead pockets of air from forming as I will be the first to admit I fill my tent with ladies.

i was going to use reducer but im thinking other wise now, im getting the picture that 1k needs 6'' or else too hot, what about 2 600's with 4'' for each?
i have t5's and ive used before but it doesnt compare to the lumens from 600 or 1000 at optimal temps and humidity,
THG - i have my intake and my co2 reg on 2 sep timers, one is on for 30 mins while other is off and switches, co2 floods room for 30 mins then other timers kicks in and replaces stale air in room, osc fan always on inside

The 600-1000w is great for lumens in flower but during the first ~6 weeks there is no need for the extra lumens, cost, or heat. That is why a lot of us run the T5s. How big is your CO2 bottle, and how long does it last? I have been looking at adding CO2 at some point. I saw some 20oz bottles at the Lowes for like 25-30 bucks. They are for tool and welding use so I would think they would raise fewer questions,IDK how long they would last for a smallish grow space though

the 1000w hps will only give you issues in the summer months..it gets hot in your area...feel me...but the rest of the year you'll be fine...600w would be plenty though...figure 100w per sqft...good luck...i have a 5x5x7 tent with a 1000w...with great ventilation and circulation so....it all depends on your final set-up and remember pics always help...good luck

buddogmutt said:
the 1000w hps will only give you issues in the summer months..it gets hot in your area...feel me...but the rest of the year you'll be fine...600w would be plenty though...figure 100w per sqft...good luck...i have a 5x5x7 tent with a 1000w...with great ventilation and circulation so....it all depends on your final set-up and remember pics always help...good luck

100 watt per square foot?? In a 5x5 tent you have twenty five square feet.
I think it easier to go by lumens per square foot 3000 for veg 5000 for flower should be your minimums.

And ya if I was going with the 1000 I would definitley go with the six inch.

707NewGenGrower said:
i was going to use reducer but im thinking other wise now, im getting the picture that 1k needs 6'' or else too hot, what about 2 600's with 4'' for each?
i have t5's and ive used before but it doesnt compare to the lumens from 600 or 1000 at optimal temps and humidity,
THG - i have my intake and my co2 reg on 2 sep timers, one is on for 30 mins while other is off and switches, co2 floods room for 30 mins then other timers kicks in and replaces stale air in room, osc fan always on inside

I have 2 600s with 4" duct connected to a 4 x 4 x 6 wye with a 6" Vortex fan. It works great. One 6" fan is going to be less money than 2 4" fans. You will almost certainly need a speed controller, too.

While T5s do not compare with HPS, they do compare with MH and many here use them for vegging as they produce nice bushy plants with tight internodal spacing and a lot less heat.

I do not run CO2, but....I don't think I have heard of anyone using it quite this way--flooding with CO2 for 30 minutes and then exhausting? What concentration are you giving your girls? Are you monitoring it? How long does it take for the enhanced CO2 to be depleted?

buddogmutt said:

I'm confused here--If you needed 100w per sq ft, you should be running at least 2 1000w and a 400w as you have 25 sq ft. If 707 was running 100w per sq ft, he would need 1600W, not 600W. However, since lumens per watt varies so much between different types of light, we use lumens per sq ft rather than watts per sq ft to figure lighting needs. As Lemon Jack mentioned 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging and 5000 lumens per sq ft for flowering. These are minimums.

Also, ventilation is for more than heat control--your plants need a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis. I run 2 600w in a space 3 x 6.5 (19.5 sq ft) and I have heat issues all the time, even in winter when it is quite cold.

my tank is 15 lbs. long story short this is the smallest tank you can get away with in a 4x4, i have to fill it up once a month, but co2 ppm is always 1500-1800
if you dont use co2, i HIGHLY advise spending the extra few hundred bucks and get tank (prefer 20-25 so u dont have to refill as much) get reg, and timer
will increase yield dramatically, decreases cycle time because more co2 more it can photosynthesize, very dense nugs, and lots lots more THC in end
if you google it you'll find reasearch saying that the plant can tollerate up to 95 deg with co2. my first run ever my temps were 90-92 every day, but i flooded with co2 and there was no burn and they turned out great, not to mention alot more weight then i expected. which is why i believe is high heat high co2 method
so i like the idea of 2 600's in tent THG, the only thing is i already have 2 4'' fans, i would have to buy a 6'', which isnt a huge deal but if i can get away with using the 4's id like to. but what do you do, daisy the 6's together, 6'' for exhaust and passsive intake with osc inside?

Hushpup - call brewing companies or bottling places they have tanks they cant use and will sell for cheap because they used but lightly, or craigslist

i was medicated..lol...math was off on that 1.(100wper ft...not sqft..my bad) ..the rest of the info is correct though....thats why agreed a 600w would be enough for a 4x4...and you gotta take into account the climate in his area...he's like me..95-101-102 is very common in our ares in the summer...im talkin 80 at midnight....3months of hot heat...

707NewGenGrower said:
Hushpup - call brewing companies or bottling places they have tanks they cant use and will sell for cheap because they used but lightly, or craigslist

Since you seem to exp. with co2, what do you think of the yeast,sugar,baking soda method for a small small space? Or is it a waste of time? I mean besides the regulation issue, is it a waste of time besides that? I use a bubbler stopper at the top like the wine casks use to bleed off co2, but i'm not sure if its worth the aggrivation or should i also take your advice and get a tank and do it proper? BTW i read the same info on heat tolerance with co2 and want to take advantage of that technique.

I am with THG, I do not understand your method of co2 enrichment.

Wouldn't turning on the exhaust fan just deplete the co2 that you just pumped in? If I was not gonna to monitor the rate of co2 usage I would at least give the co2 a change to get used by the plants before turning exhaust fans on. Just my $0.02

solanero - waste of time in my opinion unless its a huge container, its not going to produce enough co2 to keep it at cponstant 1500-1800 ppm
if u have a small space, get a sealed container, put whole in top, attach tubing, put on back of osc fan, and put dry ice in container. have to look up exact cubic feet 1 lb covers, but i always bought around 1/2-3/4 lb of dry ice per day

pcduck - if the fan is on the top of the tent it is only sucking hot air up, co2 is heavier than air so it stays on bottom of tent, at the rate its replacing the air its not fast enough to suck out the co2 the rate its going in

Solanero said:
Since you seem to exp. with co2, what do you think of the yeast,sugar,baking soda method for a small small space? Or is it a waste of time? I mean besides the regulation issue, is it a waste of time besides that? I use a bubbler stopper at the top like the wine casks use to bleed off co2, but i'm not sure if its worth the aggrivation or should i also take your advice and get a tank and do it proper? BTW i read the same info on heat tolerance with co2 and want to take advantage of that technique.

It is a waste of time, money, and energy. You cannot get the CO2 levels high enough to really be of benefit. If you cannot control and monitor your CO2, it is a waste. IMO, in a small space, exchanging your air 3-4 times a minute gives you plenty of CO2. Get your space really dialed in before attempting CO2 enhancement--there is a lot more to it than simply letting CO2 go in the room. One of the things needed to take advantage of extra CO2 is enhanced lumens, an air tight space, coordinated exhaustm, etc, etc...

707--I have to disagree with your analysis of how this is working--the air WILL get mixed by the action of the exhaust fan pulling and the CO2 does not stay on the bottom of the room. And unless you are pushing over 200 cfm of CO2 into the room, it is being exhausted out....An HVAC person might be better at explaining things here....

as i said this is what i have always done, and it has worked great
unless you have tried or even experiment with co2 its hard to make judgments about the results
i did NOT invent this method, it is a technique that has been perfected by many and i was taught it, disagree or agree im sharing experience

Thanks, I appreciate you sharing. I am kind of a science kind of gal--I kind of need to be able to work things out in my head....I'll continue to think on how this could work.

Latest posts

Back