Willow as rooting hormone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrimsonUndertow

Passionate Grower
Reaction score
I have a plant that's sick. I'm guessing that its cos a main root was left outside of the soil and dried up, so that side of the plant has died. I thought I should at least get some clones. In my previous thread i mentioned that i don't have rooting hormone and THE HEMP GODDESS suggested to use willow, so i got some willow cuttings and boiled them in a pot for an hour and left it to cool for a couple of hours. I cut a new (and big) clone and put it in willow juice and added some water. It's healthy and has some very small roots. If it works I'll put the other two in there.

mini-DSC00070.JPG

mini-DSC00064.JPG

mini-DSC00067.JPG

mini-DSC00072.JPG

mini-DSC00071.JPG

mini-DSC00055.JPG

i understand that willow shoots make an excellent root-booster. 1 c. chopped shoots to 1 qt water (distilled). Can be heated or not, but let it soak overnight in any case. I'm thinking of putting it in the blender and filtering. Anyway,I hope it works well for you!

i've read that willow works great, but i haven't tried it.. let us know how it works out. good luck

isnt willow bark a natural asperin? pain reliever headache remedy??

Yes it works for head aches and other aches and pains. The american indians used it for all kinds of medical remedies. I think it was used as a tea.

The willow contains salicylic acid, closely related to aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) . It was used since ancient times as a remedy for pain and fever, and injured animals are known to seek out willow to chew, presumably for it's medical effects.

Wow thats some pretty neat info. Thanks guys.

What i have come to realize is that the number of leaves on your cutting is very important. the clone that i cut was big with lots of leaves. after a day or two it became really weak and the leaves were falling so i cut some of them off and the clone sprung up again, you should really watch out for this.

Very interesting post, I will look deeper into it and if we can all make a home made free rooter then thats a bonus for us all, by the way, Tesco rooting powder costs 39p and works perfectly.

No, I do not own Tesco.

Latest posts

Back