Wiring a sercurity light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yogi dc

Reaction score
I am a HC OG GC refugee I took apart my sercurity light it was a 70 watt HPS light the bllast says that input 120v 60hz input amps 1.6a could this bllast handle more than a 70 watt bulb
dose anyone here no how to rewire a sercurity lighs
thanks if anyone could help later

sorry dude i cant help you there .do you have any pics

Hey dude,

Wow, a refugee twice over sorry to hear man.
Well, first the wattage bulb has to fit the wattage ballast.
Are you rewiring the flood light to be a remote ballast?
Or are you just attaching a plug to it?

Actually gqone its really simple. its only three wires. and if you know about basic wiring you can save an assload of money. Just got to do some home work. A great book is Practical Electricity. or Ugly's electrical reference. and a 5 dollar analog voltage meter. ;)

400W ballast replacement kit with ignitor 60 bucks
basic 400w HPS bulb for 9 bucks

wire it yourself and a small CPU fan and a box from radio shack for 10 bucks

400W HPS 79 dollars.

Make a homemade reflector.

but you know at inside sun you can get it for 90,but then again the shipping is 30 buck,yea listen to mutt ,i personly would wire it myself but i was lazy and i dint want to blow up my first light and waste money ,so i did it the easy way ,plus it comes with a reflector,i dont really trust those homemade ballast,but thats just me,but if you know what your doing ,go ahead and do it

Actually gqone is right. it is better to by a pre-made remote ballast. I am just trying not to freak you out. I would leave it in its enclosed houseing and just wire a replacment chord to it. That is the easiest way. Just have to make sure you vent all that heat well. the ballast and bulb all enclosed generates some heat, thats why they make the remote ballast.

The OG FAQ had all the step by step instructions on how to do it with pics. but that is gone. I'll try to help you out, but I don't got pictures.

input 120v 60hz. regular house current. all your outlets will handle it.

Thanks Mutt, i am ok at rewireing things. i have the security light hook up in my grow room. i just took some 12g cord that i brought from wally world and wired it up. i got the light from Home depot for 50.00 bucks. i asked the Q B/C i heard that it could be taken apart. so all i would need is to buy a bigger watt bllast that will handle 400 watts HPS. The light has a ingitor built in. OK where could i get a 400 HPS for 9 bucks?
Thanks everyone for your help

www.Insidesun.comthey are a refurb. works great. I had one. (sold it last week) for what I sold it for I got 2 150w HPS and a 200W MH. I have to do what your doing though. (but I find more freedom in my set-up doing my own remote ballast.)

Thanks Mutt your the sh*t i feel ya on wanting to do your own set up.

If you find anymore info hook a bro up Later

hey mutt, do you know if a MV sercurity light could be converted to a MH light.

I was asking this B/C they have similar components, they both have a bllast and a c

I'd have to research it, but I don't think it could off the top of my head. besides Its not wise. The electronic and electric aspects would be two different beasts in my opinion. It would take a special conversion bulb, that they just don't make. Thats a first for me. Stick with pre-made stuff as the transformer and capacitor/socket would determine that IMO. and those are OEM parts.

Latest posts

Back