Wiring confusion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pussum

Reaction score
Ok, so I bought my lighting fixture and a plug from the store. I have the wires connected from the fixture but I don't know which is positive and which is negetive, or does it matter? The plug is a three prong plug and the wires that are connected to the fixture from the factory are black and white respectively. Can I just hook up any wire to any side or what?\

whats up Pussum, If it were me I would splice a piece of cord to the fixture cut to the length you need.

Either way, The bare copper wire is the ground(MOST IMPORTANT WIRE!. Black is hot(110v) White is neutral.Inside the male plug there are three screws, if you look closely you'll see that one is gold, one is silver, and one is green.
Make sure you put the BLACK TO THE GOLD SCREW : THE WHITE(neutral) to THE SILVER SCREW and the BARE COPPER(ground) to the GREEN SCREW terminal. Very simple.... If you have an unused heavy duty drop cord around you could skip the male plug in your pic and just cut off the female end of the drop cord, if you skin the sheath back you'll find 3 #14 BLK,WHT,and GREEN wires, use Orange or yellow splice caps and its color to color...

One last thing, the gauge of wire that I bought and the gauge of wire in the fixture are different. The wire I bought is bigger. Will this be a huge problem?

Shouldnt be a problem, how much bigger? is it stranded or solid wire?

It is stranded.

I am going to splice in the extra wire to allow me to have some slack when adjusting the height of the light bar. So I am going to take the existing wire and splice on about six feet of wiring to it and then hook up the plug to the wires. I just want to make sure everything is safe first before I plug it in. Don't want to start a fire or anything.

as long as you make a good splice you shouldnt have a problem. be sure you cant pull the wires (individually) out of the splice cap.

i dont think it should be a problem as long as you have the smaller wire closest to the power source. the smaller wire will kinda act like a power moderator. only so much can get threw.

TURKEYNECK said:
as long as you make a good splice you shouldnt have a problem. be sure you cant pull the wires (individually) out of the splice cap.

I didn't use a splice cap to splice the wires together. I used a heat shrink butt connector, but none of the wires are sticking out of it at all. I think it is a solid connection, but before I test it by plugging it in I wanted to make sure everything was cool first.

Also, the larger wire is what will be closest to the power source. The smaller wire is what is connected to the light fixture.

pussum glad to see your finally able to get the ball rolling on your grow room man. it wont be long before you got a room full of lovely ladies ;)

Well, good news. I didn't electrocute myself and it works!!! WOOOOHOOOO.

A big thank you to my nugga cyberquest for the PM help and a big thanks goes to turkeyneck for "holding my hand" through this simple, but very important, step.

Now people who didn't know but were to ashamed to ask have a refrence.

THANKS GUYS!

good now get that darn box finished, get them seeds sprouted, veg them suckas, put them on into flower, dry em, cure em, then BLAZE ONE UP FOR MY HOMIES!! :rofl:

Anytime dude, God knows I TAKE alot of info from this board, It's cool to GIVE some every now and then. Good luck brotha'

Latest posts

Back